Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Swiss army nerd

What level of precision targeting are we granting the Bifrost and Heimdal on moving targets engaged in combat? Have we ever seen the Bifrost accurately grab fast moving targets, as opposed to someone happening into it? Feels like Asgard should have been winning every war they've ever been in by just Bifrosting enemy generals etc.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    I have conceived the perfect analogy and explanation of/for the Bifrost, and none of you can convince me it isnt.

It's an FTL Elevator. ;P

The "cutting" effect it had on the dragon was simply the dragon's head getting torn off its shoulders because it was suddenly accelerated to FTL speeds straight away from the rest of its body. It wasn't because it was passing through the walls of the thing. It's not portal cutting like Wong did to Cull. Its "if your whole body isnt in this thing at the time of departure, the sudden acceleration to FTL on that piece of you is likely to tear that piece away from the rest of you".

Weve seen multiple examples of stuff pushing through the walls of it. Like Stormbreaker flying out the side when he arrives in Wakanda. Odin pulls everyone away from the Frost Giants into an active wall of Bifrost. Getting through the wall is not damaging. Not particularly. But you can bet, much like a real elevator, sitting half in and half out when it decides to move can be disastrous.
    This works for me. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I have conceived the perfect analogy and explanation of/for the Bifrost, and none of you can convince me it isnt.

It's an FTL Elevator. ;P

The "cutting" effect it had on the dragon was simply the dragon's head getting torn off its shoulders because it was suddenly accelerated to FTL speeds straight away from the rest of its body. It wasn't because it was passing through the walls of the thing. It's not portal cutting like Wong did to Cull. Its "if your whole body isnt in this thing at the time of departure, the sudden acceleration to FTL on that piece of you is likely to tear that piece away from the rest of you".

Weve seen multiple examples of stuff pushing through the walls of it. Like Stormbreaker flying out the side when he arrives in Wakanda. Odin pulls everyone away from the Frost Giants into an active wall of Bifrost. Getting through the wall is not damaging. Not particularly. But you can bet, much like a real elevator, sitting half in and half out when it decides to move can be disastrous.
    Yeah, this works.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Arby FTW. I'll accept that.

The weird thing about the Hela scene is that a) they are in it for a period of time, which is never shown before and b) Hela somehow catches her brother and step-brother, which doesn't seem particularly normal for her (flying in an Einstein Rosen bridge, or a Rainbow Bridge, isn't really part of her powerset).

It's almost like Taika didn't plan the events around Rumbles or something. The bastard.

Kidding. I worship him. All hail lord Taika. I cannot wait for Love and Thunder. I have the feeling that it will be spectacular.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Arby FTW. I'll accept that.

The weird thing about the Hela scene is that a) they are in it for a period of time, which is never shown before and b) Hela somehow catches her brother and step-brother, which doesn't seem particularly normal for her (flying in an Einstein Rosen bridge, or a Rainbow Bridge, isn't really part of her powerset).

It's almost like Taika didn't plan the events around Rumbles or something. The bastard.

Kidding. I worship him. All hail lord Taika. I cannot wait for Love and Thunder. I have the feeling that it will be spectacular.
    FTL Elevator might be my greatest Rumbles accomplishment to date. :P

As Sharp pointed out, we do see a scene in Thor 2 that's almost identical to the Hela scene. Surrounding tunnel of energy. Flying through the cosmos. Looking around at it all in real time - the whole thing.

Hulk was also transported in a Hela like manner. He was clearly traveling in a bundle of FTL energy and it wasn't instantaneous.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Also, all hail Taika.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Live it. Love it. Own it. This is your legacy.

As Sharp pointed out, we do see a scene in Thor 2 that's almost identical to the Hela scene. Surrounding tunnel of energy. Flying through the cosmos. Looking around at it all in real time - the whole thing.
    I'll have to check it - I don't remember anything showing that the tunnel took more than a moment or two, but it's been a moment or 7.

Hulk was also transported in a Hela like manner. He was clearly traveling in a bundle of FTL energy and it wasn't instantaneous.
    Eh, we don't have any real info on how long it took. Heimdahl makes it happen, we see the rest of the scene. Blah blah blah sandwiches can't be paid for in total consciousness or in rupees, Hulk is there. But we have no idea how long that took. It couldn't have been more than a moment or two, as Heimdahl is killed like 3 seconds later, unless we are going with the idea that the Bifrost worked without him. And... yeah, nah.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Hey, it’s better than Head Cannon, which is mine.

That was just fevered, delusional rambling. Yours works as an explanation.

FWIW, I scrobbed some thor 2, and yes, we do see Thor and Jane soaring through some tunnel together. Which makes no sense, because covering intergalactic distances would seriously require a level of speed that local features wouldn't be visible, but... whatever.

In any case, the FTL elevator would still work just fine for dealing with half of Carol.

If the Asgardians have the FTL Elevator, did the Dark Elves steal too many Everlasting Gobstoppers? Hela is totally Verucca Salt territory, and Endgame Thor was definitely Augustus Gloop-ing a little too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Hey, it’s better than Head Cannon, which is mine.

That was just fevered, delusional rambling. Yours works as an explanation.
    It's my head canon that the Head Cannon shoots FTL Elevators as projectiles.
    - big_adventure

It's my head canon that the Head Cannon shoots FTL Elevators as projectiles.
    MCU Asgard actually does shoot FTL elevators as projectiles. See Thor 1.