Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Completely agree and a total waste of money. Unfortunately DC seems intent on using much of this train wreck as a springboard for their future.
    It's just another possible future that will be forgotten when the next rising star writer starts another event.

While I also feel that DC should move away from all these Dark Timeline/Multiverse stories, Future State is far from depressing for me. There remain some indications that it was initially Dan Didio's baby - most of the writers and artists were hired before he was fired - that I could have done without, but Future State also introduces quite a few fresh ideas that I hope have the chance to stay.

Imo Swamp Thing and Nightwing had very cathartic endings. I just felt happy after reading the final pages, which I didn't expect at all. I actually put off reading ST for a while because I wasn't sure whether it would be too depressing for me right now.
    The IWW Diana story basically ends in light.
    Catwoman and Wonder Woman end with heartfelt reunions even if things aren't perfect.
    As has been said by others IWW Nubia is basically a normal superhero story, and I would add JL to that.
    Even TT has an ok ending (I did not read Flash & Shazam where things are apparently worse).
    The only truly depressing ending I've read comes from JLD.

I think what makes FS not as depressing as it could be to me is that overall the books are very colorful. Even Swamp Thing has some neon-colors thanks to the lettering.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I haven't read any of that stuff. Sounds like a wise decision, all things considered.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I don't see how it is much darker or worse than regular DC continuity.

I mean yeah I kind of agree the only real dark ones were probably Flash, Teen Titans, and Shazam, worst offender being Flash. But for the most part I took these issues as warnings of what is too come.

1. The bat-family is going to have to deal with the magistrate rising
    2. Superman’s got a bone to pick with Mongul
    3. Something happens to the green lantern power battery which requires Jo to do detective work
    4. The Titans may have to stop the apocalypse from happening, also Red X
    5. Waller has grand plans to grow more powerful with the Suicide Squad
    6. Yara is coming, and with it someone looks to be attacking Themyscira
    7. Someone may betray the Justice League

And so on and so forth, it’s mainly a lot of teasers of what could be and even Williamson has said not all the futures will come to pass.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

In the beginning, superheroes taught you that if you fight, you make an effort and you have hope, you can create a better world. Now they teach you that whatever you do, the world will go to hell.

Astonishing Member

Future State was a mostly depressing mess, but that's been DC comics for a while.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I only read the books with Yara in them so I'm good.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I haven't read any of that stuff. Sounds like a wise decision, all things considered.
    I wasn't all that thrilled with the concept of Future State, though I was curious about some stuff.

But I also haven't been to the comic book shop since mid-December (partly due to weather and the drive to get there; partly because there wasn't expected to be anything waiting in my hold file until this week), so I haven't had a chance to browse through anything on the racks.

Maybe if I wait long enough there'll be some issues in the $1.00 bins later this year.

Don’t get me wrong, I have enjoyed a number of Future State titles. Wonder Woman (Yara), the Next Batman, and Superman: Worlds of War have all been good. I’m just not feeling all the mass death and hero failure in the other books. The world is a depressing place right now and I personally look to comics as a source of fun escapism. So maybe it is just me (shrug).

Quote Originally Posted by kf26 View Post
    It's just another possible future that will be forgotten when the next rising star writer starts another event.
    Well, not quite. Its already been confirmed that there are some elements from Future State that will be adopted in the main continuity. Just not in the same way. Some stuff will never happen, but some things they plan. Like Jonman, and of course Yara is gonna be officially introduced. So surely other stuff will see the light of day too as part of Infinite Frontier, so its not going to be forgotten soon. After that initiative, maybe. Just depends how long it lasts. Personally I think there's a better chance of it failing than succeeding, so I give it one to two years. Two years if there's some moderate successes in there, one year if its a complete and utter dumpster fire.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-19-2021 at 11:10 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

The art in FS: Immortal Wonder Woman was so gorgeous that I found it hard to be depressed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    also, and I feel this bears reminding, a lot of these creators are fresh faces to DC; many of which weren't working for DC when Didio was still around. many (all) of them are writing stories trying to showcase what they can do in the hope for more work at the company, it feels unfair and pretty disrespectful to chalk it up to "oh Didio's machinations again! so grime, much depression". if it ain't for you, fine, it ain't for you, but Didio is gone. ain't no more scapegoat,
    5G which became Future State was the personal pet project of Dan Didio's who fired multiple people within DC for disagreeing with him creatively on this. FS absolutely has his taint on it since the pitches for these books were likely approved by Didio and likely the creators were shaping the pitches according to his tastes. I think Infinite Frontier will be a better gauge on the direction of post-Didio DC Comics.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 02-19-2021 at 12:52 PM.

Eh, its still their spin on the idea. In the end they weren't forced to use any of this, they chose to utilize the base idea. Nothing really else to suggest a Didio influence over these past two months. imo. This is a good gauge of the feel for this new regime, I think.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    In the beginning, superheroes taught you that if you fight, you make an effort and you have hope, you can create a better world. Now they teach you that whatever you do, the world will go to hell.
    That's been true for a quite a while now, sadly. Gotham is perhaps the absolute heaviest with this (to the point where it's actually cursed ground that can't be saved), but it's in so many stories. Every major event, etc. Not to mention the retcons to make characers and societies worse. And heroes fall - and I don't mean to death (and resurrection), but morally. Living long enough to see yourself become the villain seems to be treated like a truth. So often in the name of being shocking. I like how someone else posted the "all edge and no point" pizza cutter meme. But I cannot deny that somehow, this is what sells (and has been for about 40 years). It's depressing. But as long as deconstructing heroes is more popular than building them up, this is what we are going to get. And, I mean, look at what happens when fans vote on the best stories - dark stories dominate the lists.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 02-19-2021 at 01:27 PM.