Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    That's been true for a quite a while now, sadly. Gotham is perhaps the absolute heaviest with this (to the point where it's actually cursed ground that can't be saved), but it's in so many stories. Every major event, etc. Not to mention the retcons to make characers and societies worse. And heroes fall - and I don't mean to death (and resurrection), but morally. Living long enough to see yourself become the villain seems to be treated like a truth. So often in the name of being shocking. I like how someone else posted the "all edge and no point" pizza cutter meme. But I cannot deny that somehow, this is what sells (and has been for about 40 years). It's depressing. But as long as deconstructing heroes is more popular than building them up, this is what we are going to get. And, I mean, look at what happens when fans vote on the best stories - dark stories dominate the lists.
    well sales have been on the decline for years, we have countless of posts on this forum about sales going down. Dark may sell with an ever declining readership or better the remaining fans buy it because whatever it is they still buy. But Rebirth at the beginning sold very well and it was launched with based on hope and promise, when Didio screwed did, sales returned to decline.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    well sales have been on the decline for years, we have countless of posts on this forum about sales going down. Dark may sell with an ever declining readership or better the remaining fans buy it because whatever it is they still buy. But Rebirth at the beginning sold very well and it was launched with based on hope and promise, when Didio screwed did, sales returned to decline.
    Super Hero comic sales have been going down. Everyone else (mainly trades) have gone up.

You can only sell a depressed universe (extended beyond Batman) for so long.

We struggle to get up and non-deconstructing books-the usual suspects are there to throw a fit. Because it's not Batman or Superman or Flash leading it-it's a Ms Marvel or hated by a certain group doing it. Because those writers can't pitch those stories to the Bat office.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Super Hero comic sales have been going down. Everyone else (mainly trades) have gone up.

You can only sell a depressed universe (extended beyond Batman) for so long.

We struggle to get up and non-deconstructing books-the usual suspects are there to throw a fit. Because it's not Batman or Superman or Flash leading it-it's a Ms Marvel or hated by a certain group doing it. Because those writers can't pitch those stories to the Bat office.
    according to comichron charts trades are going down as well

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    Fair point - but has the (limited amount of) lighter fare done much better? Rebirth selling well at the beginning may have just been another of the "reboots sell" thing. At least, it seems like they do, given how often DC and Marvel reboot now, so I'm (perhaps foolishly) thinking there is actually a business reason for them doing so (even if it's a short-term financial benefit). Or relaunch titles - do some people want to collect #1s?

Still, Metal was/is a good seller, wasn't it? And HiC won award(s) - did it sell well?

I didn't buy any of it except Wonder Woman and Aquaman and from what i hear from friends that were totally pissed as well saying the same thing it was depressing DC needs to do better

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    I didn't buy any of it except Wonder Woman and Aquaman and from what i hear from friends that were totally pissed as well saying the same thing it was depressing DC needs to do better
    I mean, I get that futures can't be Utopia - then there'd be nothing for the heroes to do. I just would like them to be more positive than we usually see, particularly in regards to the futures of our present day heroes (not specific to Future State). And while I know it will never happen, for IP reasons, I really do wish we'd see fewer legacies and more heroes making their own identities great and, while inspired by the past gens, not replacing them in that way, you know? Something more in the sense Huntress or Power Girl in bronze age Earth 2 instead of another Batman and Superman. Not that there aren't any of those,of course, but I'd have it all new names (though not necessarily related, and I'd be cool with unrelated heroes, though I understand the need of those connected to familiar ones to hook the audience). I'm just not a legacy fan. I've liked many of the legacy characters, but really would prefer they have their own mantles, on the whole.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 02-19-2021 at 04:42 PM.

So how would you rank it compared to Armageddon 2001, DC 1 Million and Future’s End?
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Fair point - but has the (limited amount of) lighter fare done much better? Rebirth selling well at the beginning may have just been another of the "reboots sell" thing. At least, it seems like they do, given how often DC and Marvel reboot now, so I'm (perhaps foolishly) thinking there is actually a business reason for them doing so (even if it's a short-term financial benefit). Or relaunch titles - do some people want to collect #1s?

Still, Metal was/is a good seller, wasn't it? And HiC won award(s) - did it sell well?
    But metal/Hic do sell but are limited series, but the monthly books aren't doing well. Rebirth generated promise which was wasted, yes relaunch titles always start well and then drop, Same we will see with infinite frontier although from what I am seeing it ain't near Rebirth in generating that enthusiasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    So how would you rank it compared to Armageddon 2001, DC 1 Million and Future’s End?
    One Million > Future State > Armageddon 2001 > Future’s End
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I'd rather read Futures End and Armageddon than this. One Million though is the only actual good story out of them all.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

There are quite a few FS titles that are actually good, I just get tired of the future being depressing. There are other ways to write those situations.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'd rather read Futures End and Armageddon than this. One Million though is the only actual good story out of them all.
    So you don't care for Worlds at War at all?
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The one that turn me off is the concept, because wow another dark future, how surprising

of course you can make a good and non depressing story about it, I'm just already tired with the concept.

not all of them are dark, but since my attention is on Bat fam and Wally it feels that way

then Supergirl/woman preview open up with Krypto's grave and I'm like nope! because even if the setting is brighter you still kill the dog so I don't trust you

but I do like the new characters and their designs so I just wanna see them in a different setting that's not dark future
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 02-19-2021 at 08:12 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    also, and I feel this bears reminding, a lot of these creators are fresh faces to DC; many of which weren't working for DC when Didio was still around. many (all) of them are writing stories trying to showcase what they can do in the hope for more work at the company, it feels unfair and pretty disrespectful to chalk it up to "oh Didio's machinations again! so grime, much depression". if it ain't for you, fine, it ain't for you, but Didio is gone. ain't no more scapegoat, if you don't like Future State it ain't some boogeyman making your comics bad, the book's just not for you. you can't possibly grasp what's in front of you if you're irrationally holding onto the past, only those who move forward will ever know fellas.
    It's pretty clear 5G was his baby and Future State is trying to make something out of what they already paid for with 5G. It's what happens next that Didio can't be blamed for.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    also, and I feel this bears reminding, a lot of these creators are fresh faces to DC; many of which weren't working for DC when Didio was still around. many (all) of them are writing stories trying to showcase what they can do in the hope for more work at the company, it feels unfair and pretty disrespectful to chalk it up to "oh Didio's machinations again! so grime, much depression". if it ain't for you, fine, it ain't for you, but Didio is gone. ain't no more scapegoat, if you don't like Future State it ain't some boogeyman making your comics bad, the book's just not for you. you can't possibly grasp what's in front of you if you're irrationally holding onto the past, only those who move forward will ever know fellas.
    Disagree, Future State is Didio's idea. It was published not to throw away the work that was finished and paid. It was stopped since he was having lots of disagreements with people who did not share his views and ultimately he was fired. That the new creators did not work for DC when Didio was around is not entirely true, he hired them because they are easier molded into his thinking.
    Give yourself an answer why 5G was stopped after Didio left?

FS with very few exceptions is depressing, some fans accept what is thrown at them just because some character they might like or liked, appears in these issues. No matter if its depressing.

But as a matter of fact with exception of Yara the rest is quite forgettable. Some FS issues might have sold better than expected, because new items always generate interest with characters that have more fans. Batfans would buy whatever is batman. But most of the other issues haven't sold well, you can get that from titles that haven't had a 2nd print. Had it been a success all over, 2nd prints would have taken place even for other titles, Some of these titles are already being offered discounted.