Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Make Your Own Green Arrow Continuity

This is a thread for fans to create their own Green Arrow series as they see fit. History, villains, supporting cast, location, etc.

First thing I'm gonna do is give him the origin from Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye # 3, "Did You Ever Wonder How Green Arrow Came To Be?" in which Starfish Island is actually Starro of the Elder Gods, and an interdimensional super-being Xeen Arrow instructs Oliver to "string his bow to the vibrational frequency of the universe. Fight greed in all its forms. Use trick arrows," in a vision Ollie sees while high as a kite.

So that's gonna set the baseline: my Green Arrow is extremely trippy, capable of being very psychedelic. Green Arrow's now-traditional progressive politics are going to be on spotlight too of course, but I like the spaceyness of Xeen Arrow. I see Oliver's less frequently showcased "zen" side as a good counterpoint to his fiery temper and leftist politics, and I would mix the psychedelia in with that. He's both wiser than most men, capable of living perhaps at a greater remove from earthly possessions, yet also extremely passionate about fighting earthly injustices. And all that wisdom and passion, it's also layered over a man who was already naturally kind of a hothead, and he sometimes crashes back down into that part of himself. But overall, I want to treat him more as wise, less as hotheaded, than I'm used to. (Though perhaps I'm used to that because I've been reading a lot of '70s JLA recently, haha)

The second thing I want is to use Speedy again, as an actual sidekick, someone who genuinely both learns from and teaches his mentor the way that Robin does with Bruce.
    To be honest, I don't even really know a lot about Speedy as a sidekick, aside from a handful of Golden Age comics I happened to read. I'm more familiar with Arsenal. But I think, you know, Speedy has been fairly consistently secondary to GA since the Bronze Age, and I'd like to see him get more prominence. I like sidekicks.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Incredible Member

Location: Star City (structured similar to post-Brightest Day (A forest in the middle of the city, I just love that idea; shame New 52 never kept it)

Supporting Cast: Team Arrow (Black Canary, Roy Harper/ Speedy I/ Arsenal, Mia Dearden/ Speedy II, Emiko Queen/ Red Arrow), John Diggle, Naomi Singh, Henry Duff, Sin, Lian Harper

Other Heroes: The Question, Shado, Huntress, Katana, Onyx,

Rogues Gallery: Malcolm Merlyn, Count Vertigo, Brick, Onomatopoeia, Cupid, Killer Moth, Red Dart, China White, Clock King, Cheshire, Eddie Fyers, Star City Slayer,

History: An amalgamation of Kevin Smith/ Brad Meltizer/ Judd Winick/ Jeff Lemire's runs on the comic. Green Arrow's personality would be pretty much what he was like in "Justice League Unlimited" (an "old Lefty"), a street-level hero having recently sold his company, fighting for the little guys. Throughout the series, he finds himself caught up in gang wars (normally between Clock King and BricK), shadows of his past (in the form of Merlyn and Shado), and high-level criminal actives in Star City's upper class (especially in dealing with Count Vertigo)

One thing from Lemire's run that I keep remembering and thinking about is his father. At the moment they had Ollie as younger guy and his father kinda looked like an older version of GA. Then, in my opinion, Lemire kinda fumbled rest of his run and that was that. Now, what do others think about his father being older GA? Kinda like a proto-GA? And giving GA franchise a longer legacy than whatever the year Ollie is now supposed to have appeared.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    One thing from Lemire's run that I keep remembering and thinking about is his father. At the moment they had Ollie as younger guy and his father kinda looked like an older version of GA. Then, in my opinion, Lemire kinda fumbled rest of his run and that was that. Now, what do others think about his father being older GA? Kinda like a proto-GA? And giving GA franchise a longer legacy than whatever the year Ollie is now supposed to have appeared.
    Not a bad idea, making Robert Queen a Proto-Green Arrow (heck make him the one who joined the original Seven Soldiers of Victory).

Quote Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post
    Not a bad idea, making Robert Queen a Proto-Green Arrow (heck make him the one who joined the original Seven Soldiers of Victory).
    With an assassination attempt kills him and his wife and leaves Ollie on the island. Black Canary also loses her mom to a villain or assassin which gives them a bond, maybe its the same villain too.

Also Roy's father and Uncle, Roy Sr. and Jim Harper was also in 7 Soldiers as Red Arrow and Guardian.
    Last edited by Mutant God; 02-20-2021 at 10:46 AM.

I would love to see a 'What If' style story of what would have happened if Ollie crash landed in different islands:

-Themyscira: Nursed back to health, mind wiped and immediately kicked out for leering at the Amazons (because he is still a spoiled rich playboy at this point).
    -Atlantis: Nursed back to health, gets caught in the middle of an Atlantean political struggle.. Has to decide between doing the right thing and running off to save his skin.
    -Skartaris: Is chased around the land because they keep mistaking him for Travis Morgan.
    -Rann: Instead of Adam Strange, Ollie Queen is caught in the Zeta Beam and he has to fill in for Adam Strange during a crucial intergalactic threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    First thing I'm gonna do is give him the origin from Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye # 3, "Did You Ever Wonder How Green Arrow Came To Be?" in which Starfish Island is actually Starro of the Elder Gods, and an interdimensional super-being Xeen Arrow instructs Oliver to "string his bow to the vibrational frequency of the universe. Fight greed in all its forms. Use trick arrows," in a vision Ollie sees while high as a kite.

So that's gonna set the baseline: my Green Arrow is extremely trippy, capable of being very psychedelic. Green Arrow's now-traditional progressive politics are going to be on spotlight too of course, but I like the spaceyness of Xeen Arrow. I see Oliver's less frequently showcased "zen" side as a good counterpoint to his fiery temper and leftist politics, and I would mix the psychedelia in with that. He's both wiser than most men, capable of living perhaps at a greater remove from earthly possessions, yet also extremely passionate about fighting earthly injustices. And all that wisdom and passion, it's also layered over a man who was already naturally kind of a hothead, and he sometimes crashes back down into that part of himself. But overall, I want to treat him more as wise, less as hotheaded, than I'm used to. (Though perhaps I'm used to that because I've been reading a lot of '70s JLA recently, haha)

The second thing I want is to use Speedy again, as an actual sidekick, someone who genuinely both learns from and teaches his mentor the way that Robin does with Bruce.
    To be honest, I don't even really know a lot about Speedy as a sidekick, aside from a handful of Golden Age comics I happened to read. I'm more familiar with Arsenal. But I think, you know, Speedy has been fairly consistently secondary to GA since the Bronze Age, and I'd like to see him get more prominence. I like sidekicks.
    Wow I'm to seek that issue out right now, that sounds so cool.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8