Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    My thought upon reading the title - Sure, a latina actress can work.
    My thought upon reading "Young and the Restless" - Oh hell no!

Admittedly I've watched a few soap operas when there was nothing else on, and it turned me against the "acting" of anyone on one...
    I agree! Everyone who has cut their teeth on soaps is dreadful! Especially folks like Laurence Fishburne, Leonardo DiCaprio, Melissa Leo, Brad Pitt, Chris Hemsworth, Russell Crowe, Julianne Moore, William H. Macy, Alec Baldwin, Ellen Burstyn, Kevin Kline, Robin Wright, Ben Mendelsohn, Christopher Reeve, Morgan Freeman, Jay Ryan, Ted Danson, Chadwick Boseman, Samara Weaving, Nathan Fillion, Michael B. Jordan, Kevin Bacon, Kathy Bates, Meg Ryan, Ray Liotta, Margot Robbie, Tommy Lee Jones, Naomi Watts, Marisa Tomei, James Earl Jones, Heath Ledger, Alan Dale, Guy Pearce...

That's a lot of Oscar wins there, and even more nominations.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Thing 2099 View Post
    I agree! Everyone who has cut their teeth on soaps is dreadful! Especially folks like Laurence Fishburne, Leonardo DiCaprio, Melissa Leo, Brad Pitt, Chris Hemsworth, Russell Crowe, Julianne Moore, William H. Macy, Alec Baldwin, Ellen Burstyn, Kevin Kline, Robin Wright, Ben Mendelsohn, Christopher Reeve, Morgan Freeman, Jay Ryan, Ted Danson, Chadwick Boseman, Samara Weaving, Nathan Fillion, Michael B. Jordan, Kevin Bacon, Kathy Bates, Meg Ryan, Ray Liotta, Margot Robbie, Tommy Lee Jones, Naomi Watts, Marisa Tomei, James Earl Jones, Heath Ledger, Alan Dale, Guy Pearce...

Someone on another forum had a very similar response when I said that, and I think my answer there fits here - why, when I said I've only seen a few soaps years ago, do you assume I would know all these people got their starts on soap operas? If you don't regularly watch soaps, or look up every actors wiki page, people shouldn't be expected to know this. It's not a common knowledge thing.

There's got to be a way to make this point without posting a huge list of names and mild mockery...

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    By now, they know they went in the wrong direction with Superman in terms of what most people want and expect. The problem is that the Superman of the DCEU is what he is with the background he has and they are stuck with it. By introducing Supergirl, they can, as you say, get the "S" but with a character who is very different from their Superman.

Making her Latina is a brave and good move leading to inclusion and diversity. Those who deride any inclusion and diversity as "woke" as if that's a bad thing won't like it but, speaking as a kid who grew up on the comics of the 1960s when everybody was white, it's about friggin' time.
    Normally, I hate colorblind casting. But I don't know this actress from anything, and just her reaction to being cast has me sold on her. But I did notice they said she'd been cast as Supergirl, and not Kara Zor-El. So maybe she is a gender-bent Clara Kent, or even Cir-El.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    I want comic characters to look EXACTLY like their comic series counterparts when they are outside the comics, but zod worked really well on Krypton.
    Colin Salmon is a tremendous actor and should have been the first black James Bond, instead of an MI-6 sidekick he was in a couple of movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I expect he’ll explore her Earth along with Keaton’s (unless she’s on the same Earth as Keaton). The only part that annoys me about Kara getting a movie is they apparently want to use Brainiac as the villain and that pisses me off because I’ve been waiting years to see Kal and Brainiac go at it. Rather Kara gets it than him being wasted on a crap JL movie though I guess.
    They could use her to introduce Brianiac, but hold off on him being the Big Bad until the next Superman movie where they could take him on together.

By now, they know they went in the wrong direction with Superman in terms of what most people want and expect. The problem is that the Superman of the DCEU is what he is with the background he has and they are stuck with it. By introducing Supergirl, they can, as you say, get the "S" but with a character who is very different from their Superman.

Making her Latina is a brave and good move leading to inclusion and diversity. Those who deride any inclusion and diversity as "woke" as if that's a bad thing won't like it but, speaking as a kid who grew up on the comics of the 1960s when everybody was white, it's about friggin' time.
    I want comic characters to look EXACTLY like their comic series counterparts when they are outside the comics, but zod worked really well on Krypton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I expect he’ll explore her Earth along with Keaton’s (unless she’s on the same Earth as Keaton). The only part that annoys me about Kara getting a movie is they apparently want to use Brainiac as the villain and that pisses me off because I’ve been waiting years to see Kal and Brainiac go at it. Rather Kara gets it than him being wasted on a crap JL movie though I guess.

Denzel Washington was on St. Elsewhere. Not sure if that would count as a soap or not.

Btw cavill can still be her cousin, Idk about the rest of you but families can be a mix of many races and still be family easily.
    Oh, agreed. I'm white as hell (not redneck though, but still white), but have 2 sets of cousins that are half white, half Latino (though two of them are the real light skinned variety, and you wouldn't know it on first glance).

And yeah, the actress looks like she could play a young adult or even a teen Kara. She could pull of a dyed hair look. As its just odd not to have a blonde Supergirl, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Oh, agreed. I'm white as hell (not redneck though, but still white), but have 2 sets of cousins that are half white, half Latino (though two of them are the real light skinned variety, and you wouldn't know it on first glance).

And yeah, the actress looks like she could play a young adult or even a teen Kara. She could pull of a dyed hair look. As its just odd not to have a blonde Supergirl, personally.
    Same feelings here.

well Lara in Man of Steel isn't white either. Isn't she from Israel or something?

Maybe Kal got his dark hair from his mom. Maybe this Kara is from a different Earth.

I can see them pulling a Momoa and give her highlights.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 02-20-2021 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Someone on another forum had a very similar response when I said that, and I think my answer there fits here - why, when I said I've only seen a few soaps years ago, do you assume I would know all these people got their starts on soap operas? If you don't regularly watch soaps, or look up every actors wiki page, people shouldn't be expected to know this. It's not a common knowledge thing.

There's got to be a way to make this point without posting a huge list of names and mild mockery...
    I'm not a soaps fan either, but as an avid cinephile and film scholar, it's not uncommon knowledge at all. A lot of them talk about it in interviews, or it's in retrospectives, documentaries, awards show clips, or just discussed matter-of-factly. At the very least, it's all on IMDB. It's irrational to think that everyone who has ever been on a soap is a terrible actor, or that they had dead-end careers.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Denzel Washington was on St. Elsewhere. Not sure if that would count as a soap or not.
    It doesn't. St. Elsewhere was a prime time drama. "Soaps" are usually considered to be daytime shows.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I can see them pulling a Momoa and give her highlights.
    That would be cool.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

We need a "Like" button.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Normally, I hate colorblind casting. But I don't know this actress from anything, and just her reaction to being cast has me sold on her. But I did notice they said she'd been cast as Supergirl, and not Kara Zor-El. So maybe she is a gender-bent Clara Kent, or even Cir-El.
    From your other posts, I', guessing you mean you hate colorblind casting of already established characters.

Back in the 1980s, Clint Eastwood talked about how he is a big advocate of colorblind casting. What he meant was that, in Hollywood, there was a tendency to only cast a non-white actor if the role specifically had to be another race. He believed that, unless the character had to be white or any specific race, don't specify a race in the casting call. Just hold the auditions and give the role to whoever you think did the best acting.
    Power with Girl is better.

We need a "Like" button.
    Thank you.

I'm not a soaps fan either, but as an avid cinephile and film scholar, it's not uncommon knowledge at all. A lot of them talk about it in interviews, or it's in retrospectives, documentaries, awards show clips, or just discussed matter-of-factly. At the very least, it's all on IMDB. It's irrational to think that everyone who has ever been on a soap is a terrible actor, or that they had dead-end careers.
    Eh, I just watch movies/shows. Not into interviews, retrospectives, documentaries, awards show clips or etc. I don't know, maybe I'm an odd duck, but I just don't have the desire to research actors and actresses like that.

Looks good as a blonde! Art from Datrinti