Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
That's part of being a cinematic universe. It's fine if you don't like it but that doesn't make it bad. I like seeing characters connect to a wider universe, rather than just the same limited solo stuff we've seen for decades.
It's not that I don't like it, it's that I don't like it in every movie. Ir can be a part of the wider cinematic universe without having every movie make reference to that fact. Look at the comic books, not every issue or ever story makes references or mentions or cameos of other aspects of the Marvel Comic Book Universe. There's a ton of X-Men stories that doesn't mention any other part of Marvel for example, and yet we all know those stories still happened in their shared comic book universe anyways. It'd just be refreshing if like every 3rd or 4th MCU movie didn't matter or connect obviously to the wider MCU, to me personally anyways.

Because they've messed up before. Maybe there is no reason.
I could understand that back in 2017 right after JL bombed, but now I just don't see it. They'd have to mess up again pretty big I think before anyone should even be remotely worried about the end of the DCEU drawing near. It just seems like worrying about something that's not even close to likely to happen as things stand right now.

I was just referring to the idea stated earlier that DC might do that if the current DCEU fails yet again. It's not my preferred choice either.
DC might do what if the current DCEU fails again? Tack on a new universe onto the Batman? Was that idea even stated earlier?

That's not my point. I don't think Joker works without Batman. I didn't think Joker worked as an actual Joker movie. The "solo villain" concept in general doesn't really sound good to me
Different tastes then, and agree to disagree I suppose - I thought it worked just fine as an actual Joker movie and I loved it. It's okay if you didn't, but I hope you don't mind that I wish for a sequel, to have a return to it or see more movies explore the "solo villain" concept in the hopes it produces another movie I love even half as much. I don't think it takes away from anything, it was cheap enough to make I don't think you can argue some other movie didn't get made in favor of it either. Of course if Phillips and Phoenix don't want to do another then that's that, but if they do decide to then I'm all in and there opening day!

And what exactly do you mean by "return to the kind of film"? Another solo Batman? Because we've had a bunch of those.
No, because that'd make no sense with "and film-making" that follows right after it - solo Batman movie is not a kind of film-making. I just mean the more serious/noir/grounded/gritty style of film ala Nolan's movies (instead of the lighter MCU style, or the all style no substance of Snyder). It's hard really to describe tone and film making styles and such, a professional film critic I am not (and I'm not disparaging the MCU either). I'm just saying I know the sorts of films I love the most, and what we've seen of The Batman looks like the sort of thing I love. It's like the difference between the bombast of Robert Downey Jr.'s Sherlock Holmes vs the more human Ian McKellen's Mr. Holmes, or the ridiculousness of Godzilla vs Kong vs the more political Shin Godzilla. I like the latter movies more-so than the louder movies. And there hasn't been much of that sort in the superhero genre since, well, The Dark Knight Rises, Joker, or the Netflix Marvel shows, oh and Logan. It's less that it's a solo Batman film, and more that it's a more grounded, noir, serious looking superhero movie. Maybe you disagree, but I love that stuff and we haven't really seen a lot of it recently.