Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Make her Cir-El

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Make her Cir-El
    I don't think the Kara fans would take well to this.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I don't think the Kara fans would take well to this.
    I actually meant jokingly for comics not the upcoming movie. The whole dark haired super female appearance.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I don't mean to sidetrack too much, but don't a lot of Israelis identify as white? I know there were a lot of complaints that Gal Gadot is too white to play certain roles she's been cast for...

And for that matter, "Latin" is not a race recognized by the US Census Bureau. For all we know, Sasha Calle might've filled out her Census form as a white person.

EDIT: In case you're wondering, the five races recognized by the USCB are as follows:

White – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.

Black or African American – A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa.

American Indian or Alaska Native – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America) and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment.

Asian – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam.

Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands.

There are really only 4 races.
    Races of man that are known.

Black
    Asiatics(mongoloid) -east asian/native americans
    White
    Brown

Note-
    Native Hawaiians are Asiatics and Pacific Islanders could be be Asiatics or black.
    Most native americans in real life are Asiatics,but there are some that are black,brown and white.
    I am going into details here but since the above post was posted here.

Whites are not original or native to north africa and the mid- east even if some been there for thousands of years and some of those whites are not really white and called be called brown(intermediate) race types.
    Last edited by mace11; 02-23-2021 at 12:34 PM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    There are really only 4 races.
    Races of man that are known.
    There are no biologically valid categories of "race". There is genetic variation in the human population which includes appearance, but phenotype is a poor indicator for underlying genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    There are no biologically valid categories of "race". There is genetic variation in the human population which includes appearance, but phenotype is a poor indicator for underlying genetics.
    Bingo, you win a prize. Every first-year biology student and first-year anthropology student knows this by the conclusion of their initial semester it is human physiology 101. The only reason your average person doesn't know this is because our basic education system is ****. Speaking of which, it is frustrating that in my classes I have to waste time teaching students from high school something they should by all rights already know.

Last edited by Celgress; 02-23-2021 at 09:08 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

In fact, I think the modern concept is etnic group, which refers to aspects not only of common appearances but of cultural and historical elements to built an identity of group and personal. But there are common traits than are visible. There is a continuum of traits than make people feel part of certain group.
    On a side thought, I usually keep skeptik the way how science defines certain concepts with care, because science can't escape political realities and sometimes they mask behind language what people doesn't want to ear. For example, Plutos orbit, size and mass would not change if we call it a planet or not. And between human beings there are differences than make us associate us with those who we feel more physically similar.

Back on topic, as a latin person and a comic person, I am not fully convinced with this casting or how big the role will be. The last tima a latina interpreted a blonde was with Jessica Alba as Susan Storm and that was... something.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I hope she gets a stand alone movie! I was just thinking today how much of a wasted momentum WB had for MoS.

Update: Didn't expect the topic to divulge into the categorization of the races.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 02-24-2021 at 01:42 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    It’s not a sidetrack. It’s important.

It’s because people confuse Hispanic, Latina and being a BIPOC constantly. An individual can be all 3 of these things but not always.

A great example is Elizabeth Tulloch.

Tulloch is both Hispanic (Spanish was her first language) and Latina (she’s half Spanish/Mexican and grew up in Latin America ) but she’s not BIPOC.

Latin American representation::can:: mean the actress is non-white but it does not always.
    This is because the Spanish Conquistadors come from a country in southern Europe and have relatively light skin. "Hispanic" people from modern day North America are treated as descendants of the Conquistadors. But this is more because of speaking Spanish. Let's face it... there's a reason the standard "Hispanic" look doesn't look like a Conquistador. It's because the "Hispanic" group is a mix of Spaniard and Native American. Toss both in and stir the pot and you might get fraternal twins with different skin colors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    In fact, I think the modern concept is ethnic group, which refers to aspects not only of common appearances but of cultural and historical elements to built an identity of group and personal. But there are common traits than are visible. There is a continuum of traits than make people feel part of certain group.
    Heh, the weird part is that modern ideas are often rigid stereotypes.
    Back on topic, as a latin person and a comic person, I am not fully convinced with this casting or how big the role will be. The last tima a latina interpreted a blonde was with Jessica Alba as Susan Storm and that was... something.
    Honestly....
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I think this is a great look and would happily watch a movie with this character as Supergirl.... as long as the writers don't try to pretend she's Kara Zor-El.
    Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post

Looks good as a blonde! Art from Datrinti
    Right: Kara Zor-El, Left: some other female Kryptonian.

And yes, I would LOVE a Cir-El movie

I'm cool with her being Cir-el but I'm not sure the Flash should even have a Supergirl.

There is no reason why she can't be Kira.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    There is no reason why she can't be Kira.
    I know I just don't think she has to be. I rather use someone else. I was never fond of Barry being both the Flash for both the film and TV show.

Wow, someone here just straight-up thinking the word "mong**oid" is okay to say in 2021. Jesus.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    This is because the Spanish Conquistadors come from a country in southern Europe and have relatively light skin. "Hispanic" people from modern day North America are treated as descendants of the Conquistadors. But this is more because of speaking Spanish. Let's face it... there's a reason the standard "Hispanic" look doesn't look like a Conquistador. It's because the "Hispanic" group is a mix of Spaniard and Native American. Toss both in and stir the pot and you might get fraternal twins with different skin colors.
    Heh, the weird part is that modern ideas are often rigid stereotypes....
    Much of any culture is built upon endogamy (those within the group) or exogamy* (those outside the group) "stereotypes".

Originally derived from the idea of group "in-marriage" or "out-marriage" but can be used to denote any group active in anthropological/sociological terms.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-24-2021 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Thing 2099 View Post
    Wow, someone here just straight-up thinking the word "mong**oid" is okay to say in 2021. Jesus.
    Um, yeah, that is hmmmmmm........