Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I don't think you're quite understanding me. Racism wasn't a motivation to colonize, but a tool to keep justifying it after the fact. That's what created modern versions of racism and White supremacy. And by the time the Old West rolled around, racism was entrenched in American history. Not to mention religious bigotry.
    You're conflating things again.... the simple fact you keep talking about "white supremacy" in the context of things that happened before WW2... is really really screwy. And again, the lines weren't originally drawn based on race, so why does it matter if people 100 years later used that as a reason to do something else?
    How is it a load of garbage? And when did I say everyone in Africa is Black? I meant darker-skinned people from Africa are called Black, just like lighter-skinned people people from Europe are called White. Of course skin color varies between individuals in racial categories. But how does that refute anything I was saying before? I'm honestly not sure what you're getting at
    The problem here is that you're trying to use this as a justification for saying that Hispanic people are not a race. A handful of arbitrarily defined categories that never had any actual basis in reality isn't a proper justification for anything. For starters, which of those archaic categories DO Hispanic people fall into?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Because if the filmmakers don't address the reality of those periods, they are glorifying the problematic aspects.
    No they're not. Just because you don't address something doesn't mean you glorify it. Not every period piece needs to address the problematic aspects of the age. Pirates were murderous, rapist, and racist and sexist probably, but no one should be calling for Pirates of the Caribbean to address that.

I think it does, to some extent. I realize it's not always easy to be historically accurate, but repeated the racist cliches of older movies can affect what people think.
    Which is why new movies need to ditch those cliches. But honestly, I just don't think we'll be able to agree over this - what the few people silly enough to believe these films are even remotely historically accurate doesn't matter to me, their false beliefs in a popcorn fluff action movie relating to the real world can't have any impact on anything. Old westerns aren't going to make them more or less racist.

Ok. But, IMO, pointing out the racism in the genre is condemning it, to some extent
    But I don't think there is racism inherent in the genre, only in some old films in the genre. In which case we'd literally have to condemn every genre because back in they day they were all racist as heck. There's no way around that. Westerns weren't more racist, they were all wildly racist. That's just American film history fact.

Maybe. I guess it depends on what one likes. I just don't really care a huge amount if I see a hero's whole family or whatever. I don't mind it, but I don't care if it's not there. One or two regular side characters is enough for me.
    Likewise I just don't really care a huge amount if I see a hero interacting with some other hero or whatever. I don't mind it, but I don't care if it's not there. One main hero character is enough for me. And yes, I mostly copied you just to illustrate that it really is just a difference in taste.

I was more talking about how frequent big events have become and how that can affect solo books. But I don't see how it's more natural than in just a regular solo.
    Again, to me I stop considering it a "solo" during an event. It's a team interruption thing.
    But really events are one of the reasons I don't care to follow monthly continuity. I just read reviews to find self contained stories.

I guess it depends on the definition of a revolution
    Maybe. Maybe it's just semantics. Maybe it's a cultural thing? Even if it counted as a revolution by a very technical definition, me and most Americans still would never call it a revolution. We've only had one, The Revolutionary War against the British.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 10-16-2021 at 11:57 AM.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

So it's definitely Cir El

Now people can't complain about this being a miscast, she has the look.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

How the hell did the debate on colonization in this thread even start?

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post

Doubtful, it’s either Kara or Lara imo.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member

Idk if they haven't announced exactly which version it is but I'd bet it's still Kara

...why is is "definitely" Cir El? Because she just happens to look more like Cir El than Kara?
    It's probably still Kara.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Doubtful, it’s either Kara or Lara imo.
    I'll say Lara because the costume posted looks exactly the same. Why would it be Kara when they could just get her a blonde wig or dye her hair?

I'll say Lara because the costume posted looks exactly the same. Why would it be Kara when they could just get her a blonde wig or dye her hair?
    Because live action isn't a 1:1 adaptation - very rarely have actors or actresses dyed their hair or worn wigs to look like the comic characters. It happens, but it isn't a rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Because live action isn't a 1:1 adaptation - very rarely have actors or actresses dyed their hair or worn wigs to look like the comic characters. It happens, but it isn't a rule.
    But they still make sure identifiable traits are kept. DC made the actresses wear wigs for Mera and Star Fire, don't see why they wouldn't do it for the character that's known for blonde hair.

But they still make sure identifiable traits are kept. DC made the actresses wear wigs for Mera and Star Fire, don't see why they wouldn't do it for the character that's known for blonde hair.
    I think they consider "blonde hair" less of an identifiable trait for Kara than "is a girl with a big S on her chest" and that trait's been checked off so...job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    ...why is is "definitely" Cir El? Because she just happens to look more like Cir El than Kara?
    It's probably still Kara.
    0:40 Regular clothes, nothing to see... probably.

O:54 ... same costume we saw before.

Also... all of the non-blond Supergirls were either daughter of Superman, or something similar. Which I guess is the reason for them being non blond. It's to emphasize "hey this is a different character!". Which in this case means not the same as Melissa Benoist's Supergirl(who is Kara Zor-El).

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I don't see anything in the trailer to indicate which version she is. She's barely in the background.
    Assassinate Putin!

She's going to use the "Supergirl" name at least but they haven't confirmed specifically that it's Kara, from what I've seen.