Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    In fact, I think the modern concept is etnic group, which refers to aspects not only of common appearances but of cultural and historical elements to built an identity of group and personal. But there are common traits than are visible. There is a continuum of traits than make people feel part of certain group.
    On a side thought, I usually keep skeptik the way how science defines certain concepts with care, because science can't escape political realities and sometimes they mask behind language what people doesn't want to ear. For example, Plutos orbit, size and mass would not change if we call it a planet or not. And between human beings there are differences than make us associate us with those who we feel more physically similar.....
    A good summation of the modern academic application of the term ethnicity, bravo.

If one reads my posts here the above is why I never use the term "race" but rather ethnicity or ethnic group.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I don't mind the casting but can DC maybe cast a different type. She looks exactly like the girl that was in Jane the Virgin, The girl that's in the charmed reboot, and the roswell reboot so at this point if your not going to go darker or asian i don't really see the big deal.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    A good summation of the modern academic application of the term ethnicity, bravo.

If one reads my posts here the above is why I never use the term "race" but rather ethnicity or ethnic group.
    Right but mixing culture with genetic origin muddles the discussion.

In this case it's specifically phenotype which is even farther from cultural identity.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Right but mixing culture with genetic origin muddles the discussion.

In this case it's specifically phenotype which is even farther from cultural identity.
    I thought we were mainly talking about biology, not cultural identity?

One of the earlier messages I posted covered stereotypes because it was brought up, is that what you are referencing? Stereotypes have nothing to do with biology and everything to do with culture.

Frankly, I'm not sure what you are taking issue with here if anything?
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-24-2021 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I don't mind the casting but can DC maybe cast a different type. She looks exactly like the girl that was in Jane the Virgin, The girl that's in the charmed reboot, and the roswell reboot so at this point if your not going to go darker or asian i don't really see the big deal.
    If you're just talking about their skin tone/color, then fair point. But otherwise if you think those three actresses all really look alike then you need glasses...

I thought we were mainly talking about biology, not cultural identity?

One of the earlier messages I posted covered stereotypes because it was brought up, is that what you are referencing? Stereotypes have nothing to do with biology and everything to do with culture.

Frankly, I'm not sure what you are taking issue with here if anything?
    I don't remember exactly? I think it was a generic comment about how/why you need to separate cultural identity from biology? Also I wasn't talking about stereotypes?

I don't remember exactly? I think it was a generic comment about how/why you need to separate cultural identity from biology? Also I wasn't talking about stereotypes?
    They are separate speaking from an academic POV. Races, as we define them, have no place in biology they are cultural constructs. That was my point nothing more nothing less.

They are separate speaking from an academic POV. Races, as we define them, have no place in biology they are cultural constructs. That was my point nothing more nothing less.
    I was probably agreeing with you?

I was probably agreeing with you?
    Maybe, I'm not sure. Anyhow, it doesn't really matter. I only quoted your earlier message because I was unsure what you meant or if you were asking me a question.

See you around the boards.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Uhh Gina Rodriguez (Jane) and Melanie Diaz (Charmed) look similar but only because both have common ancestry (Puerto Rican). Sasha (Supergirl) and Amber (Roswell) look similar but only because they’re both Latina Mestizos. The other girl, Jeanine (Roswell) look nothing like the others and is likely a White Latina. Basically the type of Latinas cast:

White Latinas: Jeanine Mason (Roswell), Melissa Barrera (In the Heights), Ana De Armas (Blade Runner), Sofia Vergara (Modern Family)

White Mestizo Latinas: Amber Midthunder (Rosewell), Becky G (Power Rangers), Isabela Merced (Dora), Jessica Alba (Fantastic Four), Eiza Gonzalez (Baby Driver), Sasha Calle (The Flash)

Brown Mestizo Latinas: Eva Longoria (Desperte Housewives), Michelle Rodriguez (Fast and Furious), Gina Rodriguez (Jane), Eva Mendez (Fast and Furious), Stephanie Sigman (007), Melonie Diaz (Charmed), Salma Hayek (Desperado)

Afro and Native looking Latinas are rarely cast, though they are still present in much smaller numbers (Zoe Saldana, Rosie Perez for Afro, Maya Zapata, Yalitza Aparicio for Native). Think that it’s obvious in the modern era which type of Latina Hollywood loves to cast looking at list.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Uhh Gina Rodriguez (Jane) and Melanie Diaz (Charmed) look similar but only because both have common ancestry (Puerto Rican). Sasha (Supergirl) and Amber (Roswell) look similar but only because they’re both Latina Mestizos. The other girl, Jeanine (Roswell) look nothing like the others and is likely a White Latina. Basically the type of Latinas cast:

White Latinas: Jeanine Mason (Roswell), Melissa Barrera (In the Heights), Ana De Armas (Blade Runner), Sofia Vergara (Modern Family)

White Mestizo Latinas: Amber Midthunder (Rosewell), Becky G (Power Rangers), Isabela Merced (Dora), Jessica Alba (Fantastic Four), Eiza Gonzalez (Baby Driver), Sasha Calle (The Flash)

Brown Mestizo Latinas: Eva Longoria (Desperte Housewives), Michelle Rodriguez (Fast and Furious), Gina Rodriguez (Jane), Eva Mendez (Fast and Furious), Stephanie Sigman (007), Melonie Diaz (Charmed), Salma Hayek (Desperado)

Afro and Native looking Latinas are rarely cast, though they are still present in much smaller numbers (Zoe Saldana, Rosie Perez for Afro, Maya Zapata, Yalitza Aparicio for Native). Think that it’s obvious in the modern era which type of Latina Hollywood loves to cast looking at list.
    I hate to ask, but can you do that break down for make and female DC comics characters?

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Thing 2099 View Post
    Wow, someone here just straight-up thinking the word "mong**oid" is okay to say in 2021. Jesus.
    Not even anthropologists use that word anymore, it's outdated and debunked.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Thing 2099 View Post
    It doesn't. St. Elsewhere was a prime time drama. "Soaps" are usually considered to be daytime shows.
    In America, anyway. In the UK, they air in prime time and are among our highest rating shows. Look up Coronation Street, Emmerdale and EastEnders.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Not even anthropologists use that word anymore, it's outdated and debunked.
    Indeed, I never heard that term when I was training in Sociology & initially in Anthropology (about a decade ago). In fact, I only ever encountered it once in a discredited dusty old book from 1890 (I believe).

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I hate to ask, but can you do that break down for make and female DC comics characters?
    I will try to, it’s just the character’s appearances change a lot depending on artist