Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Sorry, I can't understand what you are talking about.
    I am simply saying that, if only it had been possible, they would have used Reeve himself. Since they can't, and they can't (or don't want to) use Cavill, they are creating a Superdaughter just to reference Superman '78.
    If you take TV Crisis as accurate, the Donnerverse with Routh's Superman got reset to some degree (to at least erase out Kingdom Come, if nothing else).

I guess the question is if she's a daughter or Kara but it seems like she'll have a Flashpoint backstory so she grew up in captivity instead of with an actual family, although it doesn't have to be an exact match to Flashpoint Superman.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If you take TV Crisis as accurate, the Donnerverse with Routh's Superman got reset to some degree (to at least erase out Kingdom Come, if nothing else).

I guess the question is if she's a daughter or Kara but it seems like she'll have a Flashpoint backstory so she grew up in captivity instead of with an actual family, although it doesn't have to be an exact match to Flashpoint Superman.
    I doubt that anyone will ever take into account these tiny details from a TV series in a big budget movie.
    Superman '78's daughter, and that's it.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Astonishing Member

To this day, my headcanon is that Routh is not Donnerverse Superman. It's one of the things I dislike about it. I wish Routh was just allowed to be his own version of the character instead of trying to mimic/carry on the CR Superman stories that just didn't line up with the new stuff any way. I never watched Crisis except for a handful of clips so I cannot tell if he managed to make his Clark his own or not.
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 07-01-2021 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    I doubt that anyone will ever take into account these tiny details from a TV series in a big budget movie.
    Superman '78's daughter, and that's it.
    Well, it's where Miller's Barry got the inspiration to call himself The Flash, realized the Multiverse exists, and got the idea to streamline his suit, so...
    Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    To this day my, headcanon is that Routh is not Donnerverse Superman. It's one of the things I dislike about it. I wish Routh was just allowed to his his own version of the character instead of trying to mimick/carry on the CR Superman stories that just didn't line up with the new stuff any way. I never watched Crisis except for a handful of clips so I cannot tell if he managed to make his Clark his own or not.
    I thought Routh did a great job in Crisis for what little they actually let him do.

BANNED

No way Kara is reeves Superman’s daughter

The concept art heavily indicates that it is Kara

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    No way Kara is reeves Superman’s daughter

The concept art heavily indicates that it is Kara
    Well, not that she actually looks anything like Kara traditionally looks (more like a gender-flipped Clark) but maybe a What If another Kryptonian landed on Earth.

Well, not that she actually looks anything like Kara traditionally looks (more like a gender-flipped Clark) but maybe a What If another Kryptonian landed on Earth.
    The comic characters she actually looks like? yeah... there's only 3 I can think of and it's not Kara.

I'm really curious what aspect of the concept art resembles Kara...

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Potentially triggering post coming up. Also, be warned, I'm about to be THAT GUY, again so move along if you're not interested. Never any hard feelings.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

So, it seems pretty likely that the new black Superman won't be the new Superman of the DCEU, right? That's it's own thing like Joker or The Batman. And this new Supergirl seems to be coming to the main DCEU along with the Keaton Batman, right? He'll also be training Batgirl, right?

Even if WB is taking a "break" from Batman and Superman IPs in the main DCEU. They will be back. But given Keaton's involvement, Clark and Bruce though. That's a fair bet given what DC comics has been moving towards I'd say, yeah? But then you're like "well, no, because they could just keeping going with the black Superman stuff and The Batman stuff, and leave the DCEU to Supergirl and Batgirl".

There are two reasons that's not likely. 1) Batman and Superman are IPs first. They'll make use of them in the main universe because they have to eventually. 2)...China, the largest and growing market for these flicks, is kind of messed up when it comes to characters depicted with a dark enough skin tone. This has been shown time and time again, and at the highest level. There is such a little chance that they'll make their main movie Superman a black dude and call it a day. It sucks (myself being a black dude), but that's how it is.

You then go "but, ummmmm Spider-Verse and Black Panther, dude?" Two things: 1) Black Panther struggled in China, and had straight up racist comments made against it because of its nearly all black cast. 2) Both Miles and Black Panther worse full body suits ands masks, so no poster would even have to give away that they were black. Spider-Verse in particular primarily uses people of lighter skin tone outside of Miles or his family, plus it's animated.

To put it simply, Ta-Nehisi Coates doing a character driven live-action black Superman movie set in the racist-ass 1930s is likely not what China is going to respond well to.

This brings us to Jace Fox. Notice anything striking about our black Batman? Yup! He's got a mask! That black Batman is "movie ready". It's messed up to think about, but I bet actual money they had that in mind when coming up with his look, and it's why I imagine we'll likely get him as the main DCEU Batman.

And in the interest of WB simply having to use the IP in the main universe eventually because it's the Superman IP, and Coates' Superman is not going to be the hill DC dies on when it comes to movie Superman takes because of the market...in comes ya boy Jon Kent...eventually. I'd at least like them to make him Latino though.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Potentially triggering post coming up. Also, be warned, I'm about to be THAT GUY, again so move along if you're not interested. Never any hard feelings.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

So, it seems pretty likely that the new black Superman won't be the new Superman of the DCEU, right? That's it's own thing like Joker or The Batman. And this new Supergirl seems to be coming to the main DCEU along with the Keaton Batman, right? He'll also be training Batgirl, right?

Even if WB is taking a "break" from Batman and Superman IPs in the main DCEU. They will be back. But given Keaton's involvement, Clark and Bruce though. That's a fair bet given what DC comics has been moving towards I'd say, yeah? But then you're like "well, no, because they could just keeping going with the black Superman stuff and The Batman stuff, and leave the DCEU to Supergirl and Batgirl".

There are two reasons that's not likely. 1) Batman and Superman are IPs first. They'll make use of them in the main universe because they have to eventually. 2)...China, the largest and growing market for these flicks, is kind of messed up when it comes to characters depicted with a dark enough skin tone. This has been shown time and time again, and at the highest level. There is such a little chance that they'll make their main movie Superman a black dude and call it a day. It sucks (myself being a black dude), but that's how it is.

You then go "but, ummmmm Spider-Verse and Black Panther, dude?" Two things: 1) Black Panther struggled in China, and had straight up racist comments made against it because of its nearly all black cast. 2) Both Miles and Black Panther worse full body suits ands masks, so no poster would even have to give away that they were black. Spider-Verse in particular primarily uses people of lighter skin tone outside of Miles or his family, plus it's animated.

To put it simply, Ta-Nehisi Coates doing a character driven live-action black Superman movie set in the racist-ass 1930s is likely not what China is going to respond well to.

This brings us to Jace Fox. Notice anything striking about our black Batman? Yup! He's got a mask! That black Batman is "movie ready". It's messed up to think about, but I bet actual money they had that in mind when coming up with his look, and it's why I imagine we'll likely get him as the main DCEU Batman.

And in the interest of WB simply having to use the IP in the main universe eventually because it's the Superman IP, and Coates' Superman is not going to be the hill DC dies on when it comes to movie Superman takes because of the market...in comes ya boy Jon Kent...eventually. I'd at least like them to make him Latino though.
    Isn’t the Jace Fox mask there so people won’t think he’s a different Batman?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Isn’t the Jace Fox mask there so people won’t think he’s a different Batman?
    In story, yeah. In fact it could be for any reason, but practically, and from a marketing standpoint, I'm fairly certain this plays a part. It's Batman after all. One of their biggest IPs. If the idea is to bring some Future State/IF/5G to the movies then they're more than likely willing to take the risk of taking a few knocks using Batman...but only to a point.

In fact, the new Trinity of Future State/IF seems to tie back into the OG Trinity in a way that you could potentially confuse one for the other at a glace. Jon Kent is the spitting image of his dad, Jace Fox has a full face covering as Batman, and Yara primarily uses Greek myth. It all seems very calculated to make for not to big of a confrontation at first glace for consumers.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I don't think they're going to have another Batman film franchise until Pattinson is done.

I don't think they're going to have another Batman film franchise until Pattinson is done.
    I took very special care NOT to use the word "franchise". Chances are good that all three of the new Trinity will be showing up in other before any sort of franchise run by them is even thought of. Yara will likely be in the Amazons show, Jon in Supergirl, and Jace in Batgirl (along with old Bruce). From there you kind of build them in the back. Eventually you do a Justice League with them and maybe spin out from there. Or you do a Legion movie or and Outsiders movie. The point mainly being that you don't keep these IPs out of the main U if there is a main U.

Just look at the quick turn over for Batman from the Dark Knight stuff to BVS. They don't keep those IPs out of the main universe for long.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I took very special care NOT to use the word "franchise". Chances are good that all three of the new Trinity will be showing up in other before any sort of franchise run by them is even thought of. Yara will likely be in the Amazons show, Jon in Supergirl, and Jace in Batgirl (along with old Bruce). From there you kind of build them in the back. Eventually you do a Justice League with them and maybe spin out from there. Or you do a Legion movie or and Outsiders movie. The point mainly being that you don't keep these IPs out of the main U if there is a main U.

Just look at the quick turn over for Batman from the Dark Knight stuff to BVS. They don't keep those IPs out of the main universe for long.
    I guess I can see it if they want to do a new Justice League movie distanced from enough of the Snyder-verse as possible although I'm not sure they'll be trying to fit in certain characters into those films until we hear otherwise.

Ultimate Member

An actually good JL movie would be great. Maybe this Flash movie is a way of setting that up

Would make sense and justify the Jon push. Zaslov is also apparently a pretty ruthless guy, so if Coates Superman underperforms or flops he will absolutely cut it off right there. I guess if they’re going to use Superman in the main universe again I could see them using Jon. But honestly I could just as easily see them using Flashpoint to recast Clark (maybe as a Latino to align with Sasha) and have the new Superman debut in the Supergirl movie. But that’s years off if so, I can’t see them even talking about stuff like that until after Coates Superman and Sasha Supergirl movies are out.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/