Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Would make sense and justify the Jon push. Zaslov is also apparently a pretty ruthless guy, so if Coates Superman underperforms or flops he will absolutely cut it off right there. I guess if they’re going to use Superman in the main universe again I could see them using Jon. But honestly I could just as easily see them using Flashpoint to recast Clark (maybe as a Latino to align with Sasha) and have the new Superman debut in the Supergirl movie. But that’s years off if so, I can’t see them even talking about stuff like that until after Coates Superman and Sasha Supergirl movies are out.
    To be honest I think a lot depends on exactly who this Supergirl is and under what context they use her.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If you take TV Crisis as accurate, the Donnerverse with Routh's Superman got reset to some degree (to at least erase out Kingdom Come, if nothing else).

I guess the question is if she's a daughter or Kara but it seems like she'll have a Flashpoint backstory so she grew up in captivity instead of with an actual family, although it doesn't have to be an exact match to Flashpoint Superman.
    Not really sure. If we take the CW as having any significance to the comics (or even what might happen in the movies), then Routh CW Superman seems to be different than SR Superman because CW Routh Superman makes reference to an event in Superman 3, fighting his evil doppleganger. Clearly, his world still exists at the end though I guess he never goes the way KC Superman went if i remember it correctly.

I was unclear if all the world's were restored except Earth One and Earth Two being merged. The nostalgia in me wants to believe the Batman '66 world was restored.
    Power with Girl is better.

If I remember correctly I think all the worlds were restored. One of the writers basically said they weren’t going to erase the stories of the previous creatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be honest I think a lot depends on exactly who this Supergirl is and under what context they use her.
    And the financial performance of the upcoming movies. If Flash flops, well that’s going to cause a major shift. Discovery might also choose to cancel movies or start new ones.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

I still suspect this'll just turn out to be the new Batman v Superman, between the many changes in plans and the insertion of several characters which we're already assuming are more meaningful for future movies than for this one.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Not really sure. If we take the CW as having any significance to the comics (or even what might happen in the movies), then Routh CW Superman seems to be different than SR Superman because CW Routh Superman makes reference to an event in Superman 3, fighting his evil doppleganger. Clearly, his world still exists at the end though I guess he never goes the way KC Superman went if i remember it correctly.

I was unclear if all the world's were restored except Earth One and Earth Two being merged. The nostalgia in me wants to believe the Batman '66 world was restored.
    It was a mandate by DC that everything be restored in the CW Crisis so yes Batman 66' was restored again in the CW-multiverse. They just became new Earths.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Potentially triggering post coming up. Also, be warned, I'm about to be THAT GUY, again so move along if you're not interested. Never any hard feelings.
    :
    etc. etc.
    I think that it is too early to say anything about... Well, anything.
    Sorry, but the whole "China is not going to respond well to a black Superman" IMHO is an oversimplification. First of all, there are one friggin' billion and a half people in China and to me it doesn't make much sense to imply that China is racist about black people as a whole (especially since apparently Black Panther had a huge opening in China https://qz.com/quartzy/1231764/the-s...ther-in-china/ and - that's Wikipedia, so take it for what is worth - "as of April 8, 2018, the film's largest markets were China ($104.6 million), etc.". I mean, I have got a feeling that BP triggered an equal number of racist responses in the US.

Secondly, the mere idea of a DCEU is clearly in doubt at the moment. I mean, since Affleck and Cavill are not there, and Leto - thankfully - won't take part in any DCEU project anymore, and Fisher has burned all the bridges with WB, what we are left with is Momoa, Gadot and - maybe, just maybe - Miller. I don't know whether it would make sense to include Shazam and Black Adam since it has always been its own thing, more or less like Sony's expanded Spider-verse.

Tonally speaking, the DCEU has already ceased to exist. There is no possible way for Gunn's The Suicide Squad and Snyder's JL to exist in the same universe. I mean, they can TELL us that it's the same DCEU and we can use transitive property to prove that yes, technically speaking it is (Gunn's SS includes Margot Robbie, who in the previous SS movie existed in the same universe as Batfleck, who existed in the same universe as Cavillman), but it still makes no sense anyway.

I think that the DCEU has just stopped being a priority. Basically we are back to the early days of Snyder's MOS, when Cavill received a lukewarm response and it was not 100% clear whether it was part of a shared universe, and the big deal was Nolan's Batman trilogy.

That's what will happen IMHO:
    1- Reeves' Batman will be its own trilogy, very similarly to Nolan's work, and will probably be successful. It will have its own spinoff, like Gotham Central, etc, but it will be its own thing.
    2- Momoa and Gadot will conclude their trilogy, and this will be it. I guess that there still are some possibilities for some Aquaman spin-offs, but after WW84 I wouldn't hold my breath for Amazons tv series and such.
    3- Shazam/Black Adam will be what I described above, technically speaking part of the "old" DCEU but with no references to it at all (maybe they will give Cavill enough cash to act as Black Adam's punching ball for a couple of minutes).
    4- Miller Flash I have no idea, because the forthcoming movie seems like a way for the producers to start a lot of unrelated spin-offs rather than establishing the character's own personal universe and cast.
    5- Coates Superman I have no idea, we basically know nothing about the project (even the idea that Superman will be played by a black actor is mere speculation), but I think that it is too big a concept not to be similar to Reeves' trilogy, so who knows.
    6-All the other secondary characters - Blue Beetle, Latina Supergirl, Batgirl etc - will be used for streaming only movies on HBO Max, with little or zero references to a shared universe.
    Last edited by Myskin; 07-02-2021 at 01:37 AM.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

BANNED

Potentially triggering post coming up. Also, be warned, I'm about to be THAT GUY, again so move along if you're not interested. Never any hard feelings.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

So, it seems pretty likely that the new black Superman won't be the new Superman of the DCEU, right? That's it's own thing like Joker or The Batman. And this new Supergirl seems to be coming to the main DCEU along with the Keaton Batman, right? He'll also be training Batgirl, right?

Even if WB is taking a "break" from Batman and Superman IPs in the main DCEU. They will be back. But given Keaton's involvement, Clark and Bruce though. That's a fair bet given what DC comics has been moving towards I'd say, yeah? But then you're like "well, no, because they could just keeping going with the black Superman stuff and The Batman stuff, and leave the DCEU to Supergirl and Batgirl".

There are two reasons that's not likely. 1) Batman and Superman are IPs first. They'll make use of them in the main universe because they have to eventually. 2)...China, the largest and growing market for these flicks, is kind of messed up when it comes to characters depicted with a dark enough skin tone. This has been shown time and time again, and at the highest level. There is such a little chance that they'll make their main movie Superman a black dude and call it a day. It sucks (myself being a black dude), but that's how it is.

You then go "but, ummmmm Spider-Verse and Black Panther, dude?" Two things: 1) Black Panther struggled in China, and had straight up racist comments made against it because of its nearly all black cast. 2) Both Miles and Black Panther worse full body suits ands masks, so no poster would even have to give away that they were black. Spider-Verse in particular primarily uses people of lighter skin tone outside of Miles or his family, plus it's animated.

To put it simply, Ta-Nehisi Coates doing a character driven live-action black Superman movie set in the racist-ass 1930s is likely not what China is going to respond well to.

This brings us to Jace Fox. Notice anything striking about our black Batman? Yup! He's got a mask! That black Batman is "movie ready". It's messed up to think about, but I bet actual money they had that in mind when coming up with his look, and it's why I imagine we'll likely get him as the main DCEU Batman.

And in the interest of WB simply having to use the IP in the main universe eventually because it's the Superman IP, and Coates' Superman is not going to be the hill DC dies on when it comes to movie Superman takes because of the market...in comes ya boy Jon Kent...eventually. I'd at least like them to make him Latino though.
    This comment rings true, the idea that Jon kent will be the new Superman in the movies makes sense if you want to avoid using Clark.

You can also make Jon pretty much any skin color you want without racebending Clark and just changing Lois’s skin color
    Last edited by kryptonian; 07-02-2021 at 01:25 AM.

I took very special care NOT to use the word "franchise". Chances are good that all three of the new Trinity will be showing up in other before any sort of franchise run by them is even thought of. Yara will likely be in the Amazons show, Jon in Supergirl, and Jace in Batgirl (along with old Bruce). From there you kind of build them in the back. Eventually you do a Justice League with them and maybe spin out from there. Or you do a Legion movie or and Outsiders movie. The point mainly being that you don't keep these IPs out of the main U if there is a main U.

Just look at the quick turn over for Batman from the Dark Knight stuff to BVS. They don't keep those IPs out of the main universe for long.
    Yara probably WON'T be in that show, because she was intended to have her own show, but CW didn't pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    If I remember correctly I think all the worlds were restored. One of the writers basically said they weren’t going to erase the stories of the previous creatives.
    Yeah, the only worlds merged or destroyed were those introduced in the Arrowverse. We know that at least four Earths merged (Earth 1, Earth 38, home to Supergirl, Black Lightning's unnumbered Earth, and Earth 3, Jay Garrick's world) and that Earth 2 was destroyed (and it's number re-assigned to Stargirl).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

The obvious answer for a Supergirl can come Byrne’s era.

She arrived in a pod and her genetics were altered so she would closely resemble the folks where she landed. And then have her land in South America.

I mean, if Krypton can have white people, there is no reason why the planet can't have people with other skin colours. Maybe Allura had tan skin in this universe. Or if this character is the daughter of Clark and Lois then maybe one of them was non white.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I mean, if Krypton can have white people, there is no reason why the planet can't have people with other skin colours. Maybe Allura had tan skin in this universe. Or if this character is the daughter of Clark and Lois then maybe one of them was non white.
    It's canon that old-school Krypton had multiple ethnic groups among the Kryptonians. Some of these were defined in ways that don't exist IRL, but only some of them.
    Attachment 111174
    On this depiction there's Vathlo, and well.... none of the other locations in this is explicitly defined by the skin color of who lives there. But these are super short descriptions and it does define some of them by cultures. There's not much about why Erkol and Xan went to war in here. But other books talked about how it was due to... physical differences. Yeah.. one group of Kryptonians had odd features because they were kinda like Fallout mutants. Also Erkol was.... kinda run by people who were militant jerks. IIRC they also went to war with Kryptonoplis at some point.

Astonishing Member

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...s-earth-flash/

I dunno if this is an old rumor, though the article is fairly new. Its saying that Sasha Calle's Supergirl is from the same earth/timeline as Michael Keaton's Batman. And based on the description of her origin story, it seems like she's basically playing the same role as Flashpoint Superman. And that when the timeline/universe is fixed, she's gonna be hanging around, along with Keaton's Batman.

This makes me even more curious about the movie, which is supposedly based on Flashpoint but also involves the Multiverse. Is Calle's Supergirl from the same earth as Keaton's Batman? Or are they both part of the ''Flashpoint'' timeline that Barry creates when he tries to save his mom? Is Keaton playing Batman from the same universe/continuity as the two Burton films, or is this a different take that superficially resembles his old version of the character?

I kinda like the idea of the Burton films living in their own bubble, and not being a universe where Superman or Supergirl exists. Though, if this Supergirl came to earth only about 20 or so years ago...then yeah, its well after the timeframe of the Burton films. And anyway, its all a matter of semantics.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...s-earth-flash/

I dunno if this is an old rumor, though the article is fairly new. Its saying that Sasha Calle's Supergirl is from the same earth/timeline as Michael Keaton's Batman. And based on the description of her origin story, it seems like she's basically playing the same role as Flashpoint Superman. And that when the timeline/universe is fixed, she's gonna be hanging around, along with Keaton's Batman.

This makes me even more curious about the movie, which is supposedly based on Flashpoint but also involves the Multiverse. Is Calle's Supergirl from the same earth as Keaton's Batman? Or are they both part of the ''Flashpoint'' timeline that Barry creates when he tries to save his mom? Is Keaton playing Batman from the same universe/continuity as the two Burton films, or is this a different take that superficially resembles his old version of the character?
    I think than this can't not be discarded. From whayt we know could be than this Supergirl is a rule 63 Superman.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

yeah it's really too early to even try to guess which universe she's from.