Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    I still suspect this'll just turn out to be the new Batman v Superman, between the many changes in plans and the insertion of several characters which we're already assuming are more meaningful for future movies than for this one.
    Frankly I’m not expecting it to be a good movie either but WB likely doesn’t care. It’s moreso about getting Keaton and Calle into the DCEU so they can take over for Affleck and Cavill than it is about Ezra.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    The obvious answer for a Supergirl can come Byrne’s era.

She arrived in a pod and her genetics were altered so she would closely resemble the folks where she landed. And then have her land in South America.
    Isn't this basically Icon's origin?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I wonder what this Supergirl's personality will be?

We don't have too much to go on, but we do have *something*. The leaked concept art shows that she has a similar origin to Flashpoint Superman insofar as she was held captive for years. That in itself may denote a harsher and less trusting Supergirl, or, at the very least, one that is much more of a stranger in a strange land/fish out of water than we've seen before.

But, and this may be grasping at straws, but I think the comics may shed some light on this too. In particular, I'm talking about the Tom King Woman of Tomorrow comic going on now. King is usually given characters that will be pushed in outside media in some way soon. The most notable being the New Gods. It was to the point where he was writing the New Gods movie. And on top of that he was consulted on the Keaton Batman thing, so his books are never just whatever projects.

So with this Supergirl book coming alongside the movie, DC apparently mandated that they make her a bit rougher and slightly jaded, and play up the pain of loss he has. Add to that the fact that Future State has her feeling very out of place on Earth, and very removed from the people there. It's to the point where when she's Superwoman she flat out leaves.

So with that in mind plus her new origin in the film, Kara may not be the bubbly ball of sunshine some may expect. And that's kind of fascinating because we're *just* now getting out of the largely weight-of-the-world borderline depressed Superman of the Snyder films, so it's kind of interesting to do that to a degree, but with Supergirl.

I certainly have a Being That Guy idea for how they could go about it, but I'll just leave it at that.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I wonder what this Supergirl's personality will be?

We don't have too much to go on, but we do have *something*. The leaked concept art shows that she has a similar origin to Flashpoint Superman insofar as she was held captive for years. That in itself may denote a harsher and less trusting Supergirl, or, at the very least, one that is much more of a stranger in a strange land/fish out of water than we've seen before.

But, and this may be grasping at straws, but I think the comics may shed some light on this too. In particular, I'm talking about the Tom King Woman of Tomorrow comic going on now. King is usually given characters that will be pushed in outside media in some way soon. The most notable being the New Gods. It was to the point where he was writing the New Gods movie. And on top of that he was consulted on the Keaton Batman thing, so his books are never just whatever projects.

So with this Supergirl book coming alongside the movie, DC apparently mandated that they make her a bit rougher and slightly jaded, and play up the pain of loss he has. Add to that the fact that Future State has her feeling very out of place on Earth, and very removed from the people there. It's to the point where when she's Superwoman she flat out leaves.

So with that in mind plus her new origin in the film, Kara may not be the bubbly ball of sunshine some may expect. And that's kind of fascinating because we're *just* now getting out of the largely weight-of-the-world borderline depressed Superman of the Snyder films, so it's kind of interesting to do that to a degree, but with Supergirl.

I certainly have a Being That Guy idea for how they could go about it, but I'll just leave it at that.
    Vordan will be happy .

I don't think King has anything do with this, DC didn't have any plans for Kara to begin with so I don't think they would have mandated he write her a certain way, but I guess I could see them wanting a version of Supergirl that veers as far from the standard as possible to differentiate from the TV version which, to a lot of people, is seen as the quintessential Supergirl. I mean, the movie version has literally nothing recognizably Supergirl...hair is short, dark, and she's not wearing the skirt. She looks more like a gender-flipped Superman than Kara ever did.

Of course this is the same movie with Ezra Miller's Barry Allen so "conventional" probably flies out the window.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think King has anything do with this,
    Not saying he does. But it's confirmed that he doesn't pick his projects, but rather DC picks them for him based on what multi media push they need.

DC didn't have any plans for Kara to begin with so I don't think they would have mandated he write her a certain way,
    They did actually. This was also confirmed in an interview by King. They told him to write her rougher around the edges, and less ginger with how she's handled.

There's also the odd little coincidence that the new Kryptonian-like girl, Thao-La, was a prisoner with very real PTSD being similar in nature to Flashpoint Kara right when comic's Kara seems to be on her way out from the Supergirl role and onto Superwoman.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-06-2021 at 06:13 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Not saying he does. But it's confirmed that he doesn't pick his project, but rather DC picks them for him based on what multi media push they need.

They did actually. This was also confirmed in an interview by King. They told him to write her rougher around the edges, and less be less ginger with how she's handled.

There's also the odd little coincidence that the new Kryptonian-like girl, Thao-La, was a prisoner with very real PTSD being similar in nature to Flashpoint Kara right when comic's Kara seems to be on her way out from the Supergirl role and onto Superwoman.
    I can't tell if that's better or worse. Although somehow it's not surprising coming from a company that keeps giving her major storylines where she turns evil.

Oddly I'm reminded of DC Super Hero Girls where they basically just made her Power Girl.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I can't tell if that's better or worse. Although somehow it's not surprising coming from a company that keeps giving her major storylines where she turns evil.

Oddly I'm reminded of DC Super Hero Girls where they basically just made her Power Girl.
    Funny you should say that. Given the likelihood that she's gonna be 'merged' into the main DCEU earth by the end of the movie, she'll effectively be Power Girl, at least in a continuity sense

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Funny you should say that. Given the likelihood that she's gonna be 'merged' into the main DCEU earth by the end of the movie, she'll effectively be Power Girl, at least in a continuity sense
    The more they change about Supergirl, the more she just becomes Power Girl .

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I kinda suspected this would be the case after hearing she'd be in this movie

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

I don’t think that Sasha’s Supergirl is genderbent Jon, but the more images of her that come out the more I get confused on how she’s NOT Jon lol

Last edited by oneveryfineday; 07-17-2021 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post

I don’t think that Sasha’s Supergirl is genderbent Jon, but the more images of her that come out the more I get confused on how she’s NOT Jon lol

I can see it if she's going to end up being a daughter instead of a cousin, although I don't think that jives with the Flashpoint angle that she's experimented on as a "first visitor."

Supergirl being on the dour side, if that is how she turns out, is not a surprise. I mean, looking at it from a fan point of view, its easy to think why would they continue with ideas that failed with Superman the last go round anyway? But it helps to look at it more from WB's angle. Far more likely, they don't see that as the problem in the first place.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Frankly I’m not expecting it to be a good movie either but WB likely doesn’t care. It’s moreso about getting Keaton and Calle into the DCEU so they can take over for Affleck and Cavill than it is about Ezra.
    At this point the most important question will be whether the movie will flop or not. If the movie flops what will WB do next considering that they are using the Flash movie to basically soft-reboot the DCEU?

I think they'll market the **** out of Keaton's return and that'll likely ensure it does well, unless it's another BVS situation where audiences hate the movie so much that it has a massive die-off at the box office after the opening weekend.

Astonishing Member

I hope it succeeds, need more than just Marvel Quips Verse.