Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

The fact of the matter is that Drake is a terrible superhero name. Is even worse cause Bendis specifically choose cause of a Duck instead of a Dragon. And the way Tim got his name in continuity is bad too.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    The fact of the matter is that Drake is a terrible superhero name. Is even worse cause Bendis specifically choose cause of a Duck instead of a Dragon. And the way Tim got his name in continuity is bad too.
    To me, “Drake” doesn’t bring to mind a duck, but rather the rapper of the same name.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    It's not a matter of storytelling, it's a matter of worldbuilding. One of the potential strengths of a huge shared universe is how it all connects together, but that can't be done if the continuity is fast and loose. That shatters the illusion that all these stories take place in the same reality. Why even bother with that conceit in the first place if it's not going to be maintained?
    Any continuity with a connection to the story is referenced in the story itself or it is not a good read. The amount of years spent can be vague and still work within the context of the story. I'm with Claude in this regard

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    They should just double down on the "everyman" angle and just let him be a super Detective. no fancy suit, no silly codename (since they can't figure a good one out), just make Tim DC's Sherlock Holmes.
    It would just be weird for me for a character that's been a standard and stalwart Superhero for pretty much his entire career to go in the complete opposite direction.
    I mean if he's a super Detective Drake could work without a suit
    So he's male Kyoko Kirigiri?
    Quote Originally Posted by KrustyKid View Post
    There would be thousands of people with the last name Drake. It wouldn't be that obvious that he's using his own last name. Now a person using glasses as their secret identity? No way anyone pulls that off for long
    It's not that a lot of people have the last name Drake, but that it's his last name.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Bendis hasn't put thought into anything for over a decade. Drake was absolutely dumb and uninspired.

Someone on these boards suggested him going by the name Rook. Still a bird, still has the "R", and alludes to his more methodical line of thinking by being a piece on a chessboard. That is something I can absolutely get behind. But him being Robin has sailed and Drake needs to go as well.
    I think Rook would be great, but I'm fine with Red Robin or Robin. If they are going so stick with Robin though, they need to move away from Damian as Robin, having two can get confusing.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I think Rook would be great, but I'm fine with Red Robin or Robin. If they are going so stick with Robin though, they need to move away from Damian as Robin, having two can get confusing.
    Since Damian landed the ongoing titled just "Robin" I don't see that happening anytime soon.
    And Tim going back to Robin when he's almost an adult while the 13 year old kid creates his own identity is just awkward.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Maybe we'll get a clan of Robins, Green Lantern style

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Any continuity with a connection to the story is referenced in the story itself or it is not a good read. The amount of years spent can be vague and still work within the context of the story. I'm with Claude in this regard
    I don't agree at all, but that wasn't really what I was talking about. I was meaning things like differing characterizations between writers, or contradictory events in general.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Extraordinary Member

Looks like DC stealth announced a Next Batman mini?

Catch a Rising Hero: The Future Stars of Future State
    After Lucius received control of the Wayne family fortune in the aftermath of “The Joker War,” writer John Ridley is elaborating on the future, present and hidden past of this latest Dark Knight in Future State: The Next Batman, the 12-issue limited series The Next Batman, and the digital-first The Next Batman: Second Son.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Looks like DC stealth announced a Next Batman mini?

Catch a Rising Hero: The Future Stars of Future State
    They already had this announced, it's actually out today.

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Extraordinary Member

They already had this announced, it's actually out today.
    No the digital first series is out today, if you look at the wording the say Ridley is covering:

• The Future - Future State: The Next Batman
    • The Present - The Next Batman (12 issue limited series)
    • The Past - digital-first The Next Batman: Second Son

The bit in the middle is new.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    No the digital first series is out today, if you look at the wording the say Ridley is covering:

• The Future - Future State: The Next Batman
    • The Present - The Next Batman (12 issue limited series)
    • The Past - digital-first The Next Batman: Second Son

The bit in the middle is new.
    Well, more Batman books then.
    I can already see the complaints when this solicit drops next month.

Ultimate Member

Well, more Batman books then.
    I can already see the complaints when this solicit drops next month.
    In their defense they would be correct.

However since it's Jace-those complaints will be padded from another set of non-Batman fans. Who already got a bone to pick with DC.

So Second Son will be Jace’s origin and then The Next Batman will be Jace being Batman? Sounds cool. The FS Next Batman was ok, it felt like Batman, and I get that is a weird complaint to have, but I was really hoping to see some more of the differences between Jace and Bruce. Still I’m curious to see how he became Batman and I’m interested in seeing where Ridley plans to take him. I’ll give this a shot.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    I don't agree at all, but that wasn't really what I was talking about. I was meaning things like differing characterizations between writers, or contradictory events in general.
    A timeline doesn't correct mis-characterizations. Writers can be fully aware of and agree on a timeline, and still write the personalities wrong.