Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I remember many falling while running women in movies. Especially in horror movies. Its so cliche, you just know that it will happen. And endurance of woman were always worse than mens.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Well, someone who grew up with all of these old movies and TV shows (I'm 55), they usually presented women as having nowhere near the same endurance and agility as a man. Now men are better in that regard, but they went to absurd lengths in these old films on average. If my brothers and I were watching an old horror movie, for example, we would try to guess when the woman being chased would fall down (something that almost never happened to a man).
    Agreed. I'm a fan of the classic Universal Monster movies and other black and white horror movies...seeing so many women faint so easily is a bit cringey today. Obviously I still love these movies despite the pandemic of fainting spells plaguing women of that era, but yeah, it was ridiculous.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Agreed. I'm a fan of the classic Universal Monster movies and other black and white horror movies...seeing so many women faint so easily is a bit cringey today. Obviously I still love these movies despite the pandemic of fainting spells plaguing women of that era, but yeah, it was ridiculous.
    Heh. Yes, they seemed to be suffering from the "vapors" in so many of these movies. Does that even happen anymore?
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Heh. Yes, they seemed to be suffering from the "vapors" in so many of these movies. Does that even happen anymore?
    No, not really - although I've since learned vapors was the name for the urgent need to loosen their corsets to breathe and release all the internal pressures such unnatural garments inflicted - aka, the vapors were farting spells induced by taking those damn corsets off.
    Have not been able to look at old southern belles in fiction the same way since...

No, not really - although I've since learned vapors was the name for the urgent need to loosen their corsets to breathe and release all the internal pressures such unnatural garments inflicted - aka, the vapors were farting spells induced by taking those damn corsets off.
    Have not been able to look at old southern belles in fiction the same way since...
    Yeah, I don't blame you. I had never heard that before.

Extraordinary Member

Well, someone who grew up with all of these old movies and TV shows (I'm 55), they usually presented women as having nowhere near the same endurance and agility as a man. Now men are better in that regard, but they went to absurd lengths in these old films on average. If my brothers and I were watching an old horror movie, for example, we would try to guess when the woman being chased would fall down (something that almost never happened to a man).
    Now it's a complete 180. Women on film and tv are now better/stronger/smarter than all men, who are now characterized as clueless/overconfident/brainless.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Now it's a complete 180. Women on film and tv are now better/stronger/smarter than all men, who are now characterized as clueless/overconfident/brainless.
    Yep. That's pretty ridiculous when it happens, too.

Arrow

Yep. That's pretty ridiculous when it happens, too.
    I don't mind it in a fantasy or sci-fi setting but otherwise, it is indeed ridiculous especially if a small woman is continuously thrashing men much larger than her. I liken the trope to James Bond killing an entire army with a toothpick and a wad of chewing gum such a thing destroys my suspension of disbelief because this is supposed to be a real-world setting (I adore shows like Get Smart and Austin Powers that lampoon the super spy genre). On a related note, I can buy Queen Latifah as an ass-kicker in The Equalizer because a) she is a larger woman and b) because she has that air of legitimate toughness about her.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-25-2021 at 08:44 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Pokemon - okay kid, you're ten years old now so it's high time you get out of school and home and start fending for yourself out there.

(I mean, I think we can call the 90s old now...)
    I remember a Pokémon manga addressing this. It used it to explain why it's usually a woman that's a cop, nurse, doctor or hold some type of high profile position. It's usually boys that throw away their lifes to be Pokémon trainers. So much about the world of Pokémon clicked upon learning that lol.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

That's a seriously messed up episode! I mean, usually Tom is the one messing with Jerry and gets his comeuppance, but Jerry was totally the villain here and Tom still pays, this time in bleakly morbid fashion...
    Jerry's just trying to survive. If Tom wins, Jerry dies.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Jerry's just trying to survive. If Tom wins, Jerry dies.
    I rarely got the impression that Tom wanted to eat Jerry. Usually, he just wanted to kick him out of the house/business. In some shorts, Tom is ordered to remove Jerry. In other cases, Jerry is either eating all the food or invading Tom's territory. Although I will admit there are some where Tom is just being mean and deserves his comeuppance. But not always.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I remember a Pokémon manga addressing this. It used it to explain why it's usually a woman that's a cop, nurse, doctor or hold some type of high profile position. It's usually boys that throw away their lifes to be Pokémon trainers. So much about the world of Pokémon clicked upon learning that lol.
    LOL! I guess Dr. Proctor wasn't good at catching Pokémon, which is why he switched to medicine...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I don't mind it in a fantasy or sci-fi setting but otherwise, it is indeed ridiculous especially if a small woman is continuously thrashing men much larger than her. I liken the trope to James Bond killing an entire army with a toothpick and a wad of chewing gum such a thing destroys my suspension of disbelief because this is supposed to be a real-world setting (I adore shows like Get Smart and Austin Powers that lampoon the super spy genre). On a related note, I can buy Queen Latifah as an ass-kicker in The Equalizer because a) she is a larger woman and b) because she has that air of legitimate toughness about her.
    I think the writing is more important. I can't buy Queen Latifah as a bad ass, but bought Shaw from Person of Interest, and Fi from Burn Notice. They were bad ass because they were enough enough to use or find force multipliers :P

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I rarely got the impression that Tom wanted to eat Jerry. Usually, he just wanted to kick him out of the house/business. In some shorts, Tom is ordered to remove Jerry. In other cases, Jerry is either eating all the food or invading Tom's territory. Although I will admit there are some where Tom is just being mean and deserves his comeuppance. But not always.
    Most cats in real life "play" with their prey before killing them...it looks cruel to us, so lots of cartoon cats are villains.

You think that's blatant? There were actual advertisements where cartoon characters like Fred Flintstone and so on were actually pushing certain cigarette brands!

Oh, it was a much different time....