Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Everything in Exo-Squad.

Still love it, mind...
    LOVED THAT SHOW AS WELL!!! I was really surprised all the things they got away with, especially when censorship at the time wasn't playing around. I guess it depends on the network. This show should really come back.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I don't think the he fits in "Mexicans are all thieves" stereotype when Speedy is an heroic thieve.
    Speedy is an example of the "peasant hero" archetype. The hero who arises from among the common people and sticks it to the greedy oppressors and elites with his skills and cunning. The "Jack" of fairy tales being the most well-known example.

What it is the stereotype of Slowpoke Rodriguez?
    Probably that Mexicans are lazy and slow... but Slowpoke is depicted as a comical outlier, not a typical "Mexican."

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Still, kids love Tom and Jerry and can distinguish the cartoon world from the real world.
    I grew up with these cartoons from the 40s and 50s and don't ever remember being so young that I couldn't tell cartoon violence from real violence.

Most (but not all) of the Black stereotyping had already been censored out of the cartoons by the time I was around, but I remember Asian, Hispanic and Native American stereotypes still being common. I was too young to realize those groups would find these depictions offensive, but also too young to see them as anything more than a joke in a cartoon. What happens in the cartoon stays in the cartoon.

Ultimate Member

Makes me wonder what in like 50 years the people will think of our shows and cartoons and such and they will think how stupid and crazy and such we were...

Not a cartoon, but I saw a Batman episode this morning where women took over the CPD. It was so misogynistically cringeworthy.

Police dispatch sent out local sales notices before mentioning that Gotham National was being robbed. And the villain released mechanical mice to keep all the female police to frantic to do anything.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Remember many of the golden age cartoons were aimed for all ages liked the simpsons and not just kids. They were in front of movies in theatres! Bugs bunny was a bigger drawn then some of the big stars his short was in front of at the time!

Here is a dark ending. The studio did a few shorts with this cartoon character and didn't like him so ended his series with this short! (and that ending!)

I don't think the he fits in "Mexicans are all thieves" stereotype when Speedy is an heroic thieve.

What it is the stereotype of Slowpoke Rodriguez?

Yeah. His voices is pretty normal in Mexican dub (he has an "accent").
    I've seen Slowpoke attacked as the "Lazy Mexican" stereotype. But since he's off-set by Speedy, that's kind of weak. Speedy versus the Road Runner is right up there with the great character contests.

Decades ago, I read Ricardo Montalban's auto-biography, the only celebrity auto-biography I ever read all the way through, by the way. He explained how he convinced the Fritos company to drop the Frito Bandito. He asked which they did first, decide he would be a Mexican or a bandit. He suggested that, if a bandit first, there was a strong chance they would make him a Mexican because that was such a stereotype of Mexicans. Or, if they made him a Mexican first, it was almost inevitable they would make him a bandit.

http://thecliffedge.com/?p=4185#:~:t...so%20delicious.

In the context of the time, Mexicans were almost always stereotyped. I think now this sort of thing may be getting so trivialized that people don't even want to hear it anymore.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 02-21-2021 at 11:22 AM.
    Power with Girl is better.

People talk about how violent old cartoons are, but I think a recent Bugs v. Elmer short done to promote the new stuff on HBO Max (this thing is like 2 minutes long) is the most violent Looney Tunes thing I've seen. Itchy and Scratchy level! It might have crossed the line into too cruel for poor Elmer.

Everything with anthropomorphic animals is creepy, human bodies that are meant to represent peak physical beauty and care, with heads of animal on their shoulders. And then you have animals like Duck Dodgers, Droopy, Roger Rabbit, etc.. have boners for human women.

Where does the screwed up stuff with Loony Toons, Tom & Jerry, old Disney shorts end? That sexual harassment skunk always seemed screed up and creepy, and he's the basic stereotype that French = Romantic by making him a stalker constantly molesting females. The rest of the Loony Tunes main characters are more often than not imbecilic bullies that have their laughs screwing with others, and the happy ending is bullies win. That rooster vs dog thing is more violent than a single GTA game.
    These old cartoons made characters fall in whiskey and get drunk, eat bullets, use dynamite and firecrackers to attack, hit their opponents with boulders (nobody punched boulders like Chris Redfield does, he's the true hero that avenged all boulder victims through the history of cartoons by punching one to save his friend), anvils, and all sorts of heavy objects. And they tell you video games and Batman Returns cause violence and give children nightmares.

Did you know that in one Donald Duck short the trio of ducklings worked hard to collect allowance to buy a birthday gift for their uncle Donald? They chose fancy cigars to surprise him, and once he found out about them holding a box of cigars he pushed all of them in the mouths of his misguided loving nephews and lit a box full of em in the mouth of each one until he read the note showing this was their present for him. Mrs. Doubtfire parodied this habit of advertising smoke by making Robin Williams character ad-lib his PSA.

While Ducktales is about children and their elderly uncle going on adventures and perform some Arnold level action, at least they made sure the uncle is a responsible guardian that gave the kids some sage lessons and wasn't one to leave them into dangerous situations without parental supervision.

Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends has two guys date swapping the girl they roommate with, and her ass is always revealed in that tight outfit closing on her sexy body with her big boobs. And both dudes dated Mona Osborn, and then Flash Thompson started dating her...
    Seeing Iceman in that show makes me wonder why they chose to make him gay in the comics over three decades later. Between that show and his constant obsession with Lorna Dane, I'm not feeling it.

Speaking of X-Men who love girls who have boyfriends; Wolverine's demented attachment to Jean Grey who loves Cyclops is even in the cartoon. What is it with the Summers family having hard luck when it comes to love? The luck is rougher on their wives, but even their father had to experience that crap and it was adapted in the cartoon, and in the case of Christopher 'Corsair' Summers he had the misfortune of an alien kidnapping them and the need to drop their children out of a high plane to save them from also being abducted by the alien emperor from a galaxy far far away who wanted to rape their mother. YIKES.

The X-Men delivered some heavy themes in their old cartoon that were meant to be colorful and educational to children, so at least they had the goal of awareness included in their show, but man does it seem too dark and messed up at certain points between Rogue usurping the powers of Ms. Marvel, Wolverine wanting to kill Sabertooth, some villains actively seeking out deforming people and having genocidal goals, giant killer robots designed to hunt and kill an entire race that collects various races without caring for the massive number of unplanned casualties on their way, and in some episodes there is the matter of resort that is in reality a prison to enslave (or for the Grandmaster in Thor: Ragnarok, cause he doesn't like that 's' word: Imprison people and give them jobs) mutants.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Incredible Member

An episode of the original Transformers has both Autobots and Deceptions discover a source of golden liquid that makes them invulnerable, at the end there is a huge battle in a forest that decimates entire trees and scares away the woodland creatures.

The final shot is a panning view of a burnt forest and one Autobot just shrugs it off by saying "we won".

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    An episode of the original Transformers has both Autobots and Deceptions discover a source of golden liquid that makes them invulnerable, at the end there is a huge battle in a forest that decimates entire trees and scares away the woodland creatures.

The final shot is a panning view of a burnt forest and one Autobot just shrugs it off by saying "we won".
    I remember that, but I don't remember the Autobot being so casual about the destruction. He actually sounded mournful

Mighty Member

S1 Transformers - Megatron with his legs blown off

WW2 Donald Duck toon . He thinks he's lost his legs. Sarge gives him a handgun to finish himself off...

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Not a cartoon, but I saw a Batman episode this morning where women took over the CPD. It was so misogynistically cringeworthy.

Police dispatch sent out local sales notices before mentioning that Gotham National was being robbed. And the villain released mechanical mice to keep all the female police to frantic to do anything.
    I remember that episode. And yes the sexism is cringeworthy. Even Batgirl doesn't seem too upset by it, instead focusing on the villain who set it all up.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Ultimate Member

Logan's feelings for Jean aren't demented, especially since she returns said feelings...as for Ducktales the trio's mother is never shown and I don't think that their father is either...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    ...as for Ducktales the trio's mother is never shown and I don't think that their father is either...
    Well, the mom’s name is Della Duck.
    Who she is and where she’s been was a major plot line of the reboot series.

The triplets’ dad at one point was Daisy Duck’s brother Jaimie. The reboot introduced Daisy as a recent romantic interest for Donald so that’s prob. changed who their dad is.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 02-21-2021 at 06:13 PM.

I remember that, but I don't remember the Autobot being so casual about the destruction. He actually sounded mournful
    Beachcomber who loves nature and yes he was upset. He spent the full episode trying to protect that land!

Also no gijoe no place like springfield with melting joes!