Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Flintstones was a prime time show like the simpsons and was not aimed at just kids but grown ups and families. They did a bush beer promo that aired in the bush beer factory tour also! They did later switch it to jelly later however.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Speaking of X-Men who love girls who have boyfriends; Wolverine's demented attachment to Jean Grey who loves Cyclops is even in the cartoon.
    I had forgotten about that, but I actually binged the last season of X-Men: The Animated Series this pas weekend (for some reason it either never aired in St. Louis, or I somehow missed it when it first aired). There was a 4 part Apocalypse story where he kidnapped a bunch of psychic mutants, the first of which was Jean (which, of course, happened on her wedding day as she and Scott were leaving for their honeymoon), and dear god hearing Wolverine go on and on about Jean (in front of Scott!), and continuing to solely focus on Jean after about 2 dozen other telepaths were abducted, was cringe-inducing. He was approaching Peppy LePue levels of creepiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    I think that is the episode where they also go deep into Christianity. Where Nighcrawler talks about his faith as a mutant and talks about scripture, God, faith (its pretty much a Church sermon) and Wolverine argues that he use to believe in God but doesn't because God allows mutants to suffer. Then at end of the episode Wolverine seemingly comes around to the faith and is seen praying in a church. Also, the episode has a line with Rouge questioning things and it also heavily implies that Gambit is an atheist. While I am a Christian myself, I am shocked something that was so religion focused was allowed on a mainstream Saturday morning Marvel cartoon in the 90s with no controversy. That would NEVER air in 2021 that's for sure.

But I believe the clip is still on Youtube if anyone is curious.
    The second Nightcrawler episode dove even deeper into Christianity, with Kurt having a conversation with Jubilee over his faith and if he could forgive his birth mother for abandoning him. It was a pretty heavy conversation, and it shocked me that this made it into a Saturday morning cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    This comes to mind:

Brings to mind the very first teaser for Sam Raimi's first Spider-Man, where the bank robbers that escaped in a helicopter, but were caught in a web made by Spider-Man.... between the twin towers. This was released, I want to say mere weeks before 9/11, if not sooner.

"So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Eustace from Courage was a horrible person and his relationship with Muriel was dysfunctional. But Courage stayed anyway because he loved Muriel too much. It's so sad.

Last edited by OopsIdiditagain; 03-05-2021 at 11:09 PM.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Very rarely did his victims get "offed". Most of the time they were treated with thr anti-toxin Batman came up with and there was usually a line by Gordon or Bullock saying " they are stable and should pull through". There were one or two exceptions though. What the Joker did to Salvatore and Artie in Mask Of The Phantasm was downright deranged (especially having Salvatore's corpse strapped with a bomb in order to lay that trap).

Doesn't make it any less creepy.
    there was also the Flashback in Mad Love where a newspaper flashes by. The Head line heavily implies that the Joker went on a rampage and killed a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I had forgotten about that, but I actually binged the last season of X-Men: The Animated Series this pas weekend (for some reason it either never aired in St. Louis, or I somehow missed it when it first aired). There was a 4 part Apocalypse story where he kidnapped a bunch of psychic mutants, the first of which was Jean (which, of course, happened on her wedding day as she and Scott were leaving for their honeymoon), and dear god hearing Wolverine go on and on about Jean (in front of Scott!), and continuing to solely focus on Jean after about 2 dozen other telepaths were abducted, was cringe-inducing. He was approaching Peppy LePue levels of creepiness.
    Logan is such a big creep I have times wondering what makes him as popular as he is. With all the heavy material that show dangled I'm glad they didn't dig into the thicker love stuff of 13 years old Kitty Pryde and a more mature 19 years old Colossus.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    It's a cool video...but what about it seems screwed up now? As the video points out, toys to life was a fad that actually saw a lot of success only a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Well, someone who grew up with all of these old movies and TV shows (I'm 55), they usually presented women as having nowhere near the same endurance and agility as a man. Now men are better in that regard, but they went to absurd lengths in these old films on average. If my brothers and I were watching an old horror movie, for example, we would try to guess when the woman being chased would fall down (something that almost never happened to a man).
    I mean, I guess it depends how old the movies are because in the 70's-90's horror, while some women would fall and be killed, so were most if not all the men. It was usually one heroine that would fight as hard as possible, user her smarts and defeat the killer.

If you are talking about earlier movies like the 1950's, then perhaps the women were encumbered by wearing dresses and high heels, which could make it easier for them to fall.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I mean, I guess it depends how old the movies are because in the 70's-90's horror, while some women would fall and be killed, so were most if not all the men. It was usually one heroine that would fight as hard as possible, user her smarts and defeat the killer.

If you are talking about earlier movies like the 1950's, then perhaps the women were encumbered by wearing dresses and high heels, which could make it easier for them to fall.
    I think people are just watching the wrong genre of movies. In horror movies they want the heroine to fall so the monsters can lumber menacingly towards them.

OTOH I am rewatching Atom Man vs Superman from 1950. Just finished chapter 12 and Lois Lane really led Luthor’s thugs on a merry chase before ditching them.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I stated in an earlier post on this thread that things were changing by the '70s. Yes, they were still falling, but for dramatic effect and not because they weren't capable of running fifty feet without becoming completely exhausted.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I'm surprised that TV anime seems to be toned down somewhat. There's some stuff in Go Nagai's stuff for example. Anime on TV these days might still be a bit risque but not like in the 70's and 80's.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I stated in an earlier post on this thread that things were changing by the '70s. Yes, they were still falling, but for dramatic effect and not because they weren't capable of running fifty feet without becoming completely exhausted.
    Sorry, must have missed that.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Sorry, must have missed that.
    No problem.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's a cool video...but what about it seems screwed up now? As the video points out, toys to life was a fad that actually saw a lot of success only a few years ago.
    The video doesn't go the series justice in all honesty. It glosses over the themes of genocide, racism, slavery, graphic violence, cold-blooded murder, and torture (both physical and psychological) that are prevalent throughout the series.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Plus didn't the female hero (the second main hero behind captain power) die in the last episode cliffhanger! They planned to have another season and bring her back but it never got made so the girl never comes back!

Killer tomatoes cartoon ends on a cliffhanger also with the world getting taken over by the bad guys and they are never stopped as the show never got another season!