Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post

Although this video I feel is more useful on the introducing xmen to the mcu thread, I think this video also works here well.

One episode I remember is the episode Nightcrawler first appeared. Rogue visits a Catholic Church filled with religious monks and she insist or I think one of the men told her to cover up. rogue vaguely agrees admitting that she has a very sexy body and would not like to make the religious monks ''restless'' because of this.

Although she does not say sexy, she heavily alludes to that. HA, that was pretty daring for an old kids cartoon but I got the memo
    I think that is the episode where they also go deep into Christianity. Where Nighcrawler talks about his faith as a mutant and talks about scripture, God, faith (its pretty much a Church sermon) and Wolverine argues that he use to believe in God but doesn't because God allows mutants to suffer. Then at end of the episode Wolverine seemingly comes around to the faith and is seen praying in a church. Also, the episode has a line with Rouge questioning things and it also heavily implies that Gambit is an atheist. While I am a Christian myself, I am shocked something that was so religion focused was allowed on a mainstream Saturday morning Marvel cartoon in the 90s with no controversy. That would NEVER air in 2021 that's for sure.

But I believe the clip is still on Youtube if anyone is curious.
    Last edited by Iron_Legion87; 02-23-2021 at 09:01 AM.

Suicide stuff is creepy, makes one wonder how stuff like that is allowed even as comedy material.
    Last edited by Speed Force League Unlimited; 02-23-2021 at 07:03 PM.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Blackface and general caricatures of black people.

People smoking, sometimes multiple cigarettes at once, blatantly advertising cigarettes to children.
    Smoking doesn't bother me at all (except if I'm breathing it in ), but the blackface stuff... oh, lord! Seeing old cartoons that were censored when I was kid back in the '70s the way they originally were has been an eyeopener for me.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Makes me wonder what in like 50 years the people will think of our shows and cartoons and such and they will think how stupid and crazy and such we were...
    Not just cartoons, but everything. Many people look down upon some people from the past for numerous reasons, not realizing that 1) those historical personages did the same thing themselves regarding their ancestors and 2) the same thing could happen to us by our descendants.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Not a cartoon, but I saw a Batman episode this morning where women took over the CPD. It was so misogynistically cringeworthy.

Police dispatch sent out local sales notices before mentioning that Gotham National was being robbed. And the villain released mechanical mice to keep all the female police to frantic to do anything.
    Another not a cartoon example. But even in a show that was so socially aware as people claimed Star Trek to be had it.

Like Uhura being scared a couple of times when she was off the ship. like the episode where Mccoy went back in time and saved that woman from being hit by a car. The male crew members see the ship is gone and they keep their cool. Uhura rushes to Kirk and warps around him saying Captain I am frightened.

Or the one where that woman takes over Kirks mind. After he has it back and he is looking at her and says something like It is a shame she was as successful as any woman could be.\

And any woman on the show no matter what rank or position they held instantly became all hot and bothered for Kirk, or the ship historian losing her mind for Khan.

So socially aware as long as you are not a woman.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Not a cartoon, but I saw a Batman episode this morning where women took over the CPD. It was so misogynistically cringeworthy.

Police dispatch sent out local sales notices before mentioning that Gotham National was being robbed. And the villain released mechanical mice to keep all the female police to frantic to do anything.
    Kind of reminds me of a Season 3 episode from Star Trek: TOS where the men refer to Scotty's officer girlfriend as "the girl." It didn't register with me as a kid, but now I just cringe. Oh, see also bucktooth Japanese stereotypes pre-'70s.

Astonishing Member

This comes to mind:

"I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Another not a cartoon example. But even in a show that was so socially aware as people claimed Star Trek to be had it.

Like Uhura being scared a couple of times when she was off the ship. like the episode where Mccoy went back in time and saved that woman from being hit by a car. The male crew members see the ship is gone and they keep their cool. Uhura rushes to Kirk and warps around him saying Captain I am frightened.

Or the one where that woman takes over Kirks mind. After he has it back and he is looking at her and says something like It is a shame she was as successful as any woman could be.\

And any woman on the show no matter what rank or position they held instantly became all hot and bothered for Kirk, or the ship historian losing her mind for Khan.

So socially aware as long as you are not a woman.
    Which reminds me that before the '70s, women on film could not run more than ten feet without either falling down or becoming completely exhauster. Penelope Pitstop never had this problem on her cartoon, however.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Which reminds me that before the '70s, women on film could not run more than ten feet without either falling down or becoming completely exhauster. Penelope Pitstop never had this problem on her cartoon, however.
    I recommend you watch some Republic serials. Perils of Nyoka, Jungle Girl and the Tiger Woman all have heroines without that problem. Also Zorro’s Black Whip I think has the first masked mystery woman although she is usually riding a fast horse when she isn’t fighting shooting or whipping the villains.

Also in the 1960s the British Avengers had three ladies all of whom were athletic and dangerous as numerous henchmen could attest.
    Last edited by regnak; 02-24-2021 at 07:43 PM.

Mighty Member

The Popeye cartoon "Seein' Red White and Blue" has caricatured Japanese, but Hirohito looks normal; Hitler does the then current Lifebouy soap "beeeeeeeeeohhhhhh"

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    I recommend you watch some Republic serials. Perils of Nyoka, Jungle Girl and the Tiger Woman all have heroines without that problem. Also Zorro’s Black Whip I think has the first masked mystery woman although she is usually riding a fast horse when she isn’t fighting shooting or whipping the villains.

Also in the 1960s the British Avengers had three ladies all of whom were athletic and dangerous as numerous henchmen could attest.
    Yeah, it did happen, but compared to everything else made then, it was still a decided minority.

Mighty Member

Yeah, it did happen, but compared to everything else made then, it was still a decided minority.
    That was just off the top of my head. If you are not watching something set largely outdoors how often do people need to run 10 feet or more? I think that is the minority of the time in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    That was just off the top of my head. If you are not watching something set largely outdoors how often do people need to run 10 feet or more? I think that is the minority of the time in itself.
    Well, someone who grew up with all of these old movies and TV shows (I'm 55), they usually presented women as having nowhere near the same endurance and agility as a man. Now men are better in that regard, but they went to absurd lengths in these old films on average. If my brothers and I were watching an old horror movie, for example, we would try to guess when the woman being chased would fall down (something that almost never happened to a man).

Mighty Member

Well, someone who grew up with all of these old movies and TV shows (I'm 55), they usually presented women as having nowhere near the same endurance and agility as a man. Now men are better in that regard, but they went to absurd lengths in these old films on average. If my brothers and I were watching an old horror movie, for example, we would try to guess when the woman being chased would fall down (something that almost never happened to a man).
    Well I am 56 and have a hard time remembering things like that. But then again I prefer serials instead of old horror movies. From what I have read women were quite active in the early and mostly lost serials of the 20th century. Then some of the early 1930s serials they made the women delicate again and they might have fallen like that. However it seems to have switched back again late in the 1930s through the end of the serial era with the heroine’s being above average like the heroes.

I will place a caveat on that in IIRC the leading ladies of the actual comic book serials were less capable than the average female serial lead. That does seem to be a product of the script as in the Mysterious Doctor Satan my favorite serial you see both types of women. Lois Scott who would have been Lois Lane if the deal to make a Superman serial had not fallen through is brave but not physical. The other woman Alice is a firecracker in her scenes. Also Louis Currie is in both the Adventures of Captain Marvel and the Masked Marvel but more capable in the latter with a non comic book hero. Crap time to go to work.