Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Accurate Costumes In Comic Book Movies/TV?

Having just watched the 3 hr version of Superman: The Movie, I was struck by how good Reeve looked.
    Why Don't Any Superhero movies feature comic accurate costumes for their characters?

Superman: The Movie nailed it.
    Raimi's Spider-man got very close.
    Warren Beatty's Dick Tracy was easy to do, even if Beatty didn't look like Gould's character.
    Wesley Snipes' Blade was a 1990's version of that character and pretty accurate, not the Gene Colan Tomb of Dracula guy in the red coat.
    The Marvel films have been hit (Iron Man/Black Panther) or miss (most Avengers costumes). These outfits seem more based on the Ultimate Marvel comics.
    Gal Godot's Wonder Woman is fairly accurate.

As far as TV goes... the only costume that ever spoke to me was John Wesley Shipp's Flash, and even then, he looked more like Wally West than Barry Allen.

Should costumes return to the Chris Reeve era spandex/cloth? Is there a way to make actors look more iconic in their costumes? Will any actor ever embody a comic accurate superhero the way Reeve did for Superman?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comics N' Toons View Post
    Having just watched the 3 hr version of Superman: The Movie, I was struck by how good Reeve looked.
    Why Don't Any Superhero movies feature comic accurate costumes for their characters?

Warren Beatty's Dick Tracy was easy to do, even if Beatty didn't look like Gould's character.
    Wesley Snipes' Blade was a 1990's version of that character and pretty accurate, not the Gene Colan Tomb of Dracula guy in the red coat.
    The Marvel films have been hit (Iron Man/Black Panther) or miss (most Avengers costumes). These outfits seem more based on the Ultimate Marvel comics.

As far as TV goes... the only costume that ever spoke to me was John Wesley Shipp's Flash, and even then, he looked more like Wally West than Barry Allen.

Should costumes return to the Chris Reeve era spandex/cloth? Is there a way to make actors look more iconic in their costumes? Will any actor ever embody a comic accurate superhero the way Reeve did for Superman?
    I think the problem with the Avengers' costumes is the colors tend to be a bit dull.

A really accurate adaptation from DC are Stargirl and STRIPE.

Stargirl looks like she stepped right out of the comics, and I love that they didn’t go straight CGI w. the STRIPE mecha.

A movie costume loses a lot of points when it deviates too much from the comic books. For instance, Raimi's Spider-Man costume was good, but IMO, the ASM2 suit is that much better. The ASM2 suit feels closer to the look and style of the comics than the Raimi suits.

So while one is good and looked fantastic, I thought the other one looked much better and will always get more praise.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

BANNED

The make-or-break point of Spiderman costumes will always by the shape of the eyes. Get it right, you get John Romita Sr. Get it wrong and you get McFarlane google eyes. ASM2 got it wrong.

I'm just happy no Spiderman film ever tried Gil Kane's teardrop eyes
    Last edited by green_garnish; 03-13-2021 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    A movie costume loses a lot of points when it deviates too much from the comic books. For instance, Raimi's Spider-Man costume was good, but IMO, the ASM2 suit is that much better. The ASM2 suit feels closer to the look and style of the comics than the Raimi suits.

So while one is good and looked fantastic, I thought the other one looked much better and will always get more praise.
    Agreed, the ASM2 costume is easily the best, imo.

Astonishing Member

Stallones face in Judge Dredd. Perfect.

Yes, I would love to see the movie costumes much more accurately reflect the comics, including brighter colors! For instance, in GoTG2, if I did not know the characters of the original Guardians, I would NEVER have known that they made an appearance, with stallone as Starhawk, or that Niki made a cameo. Martinex was so poorly done, but I could at least get the idea of who he was (which then helped me realize who the others were!). Yondu had the closest look to the comics, so he was easy to spot. But the head fin did me in! Way, way too small, lol. And his personality and character were not in line with the comics.

However, I go into each movie knowing that this will not be the case, so I do not set the movie (and myself) up for disappointment and can at least try to enjoy the movie more for what it is and has than for what it is not and lacks.
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 03-13-2021 at 04:19 PM.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member

Hulk's outfit has been correct in every iteration.

In agreement with you about both Reeve's Superman & Shipp's Flash. I'll also include Ghost Rider (Nicolas Cage Version):

Last edited by K7P5V; 03-13-2021 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Incredible Member

billy zane 'the ghost that walks' the phantom

alec baldwin 'the shadow'

Eh, as long as the comics refuse to ditch the undies outside the pants look, I'd rather the costumes not always be that comic accurate personally.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, as long as the comics refuse to ditch the undies outside the pants look, I'd rather the costumes not always be that comic accurate personally.
    I think some of the movie costumes are better than the comic ones. Costume Ant-Man got for his movie is better than anything he got in the books.

What I find funny is Comic book artists have mostly drawn heroes in costumes as if their anatomy shows right through the material. All the muscleture is sharp, from triceps to abs. Of course in real life it doesn't look like this. Even the Rock in a tight t-shirt, the surface is fairly smooth with no cuts.
    So for film, we see the costumes padded with the look of muscles to emulate the comics. In reality, the George Reeves Superman and Adam West Batman were more realistic.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The new Scarlet Witch version seems to incorporate a lot from her various comic looks, mostly the Uncanny Avengers mixed with a bit of her current look.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth