Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Speedy Gonzolas.

There's a reason a lot of his early work didn't make it into anthologies.

Paradoxically, he was awesome in that strange loony toons sitcom where he owned a restaurant.

image.jpg
    Rambo runs around with some kids each episode and shows them how it's done.
    DC,I need Bronze Age Batman,Green Lantern,and Flash collected.Please,and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    There was one episode, set during the French Revolution...or maybe it was a Three Musketeers parody...anyway, Tom was tasked with preventing mice from eating all the food for a banquet or something. Of course Jerry wins against him. It ends with a shot of the guillotine - Tom was beheaded. Jerry got Tom killed all so he could eat lavishly, and of course this being Tom and Jerry was portrayed somewhat heroically/in the "pro"tagonist role. The hero got someone killed just to eat fine cheese and fruits and meats.

That's a seriously messed up episode! I mean, usually Tom is the one messing with Jerry and gets his comeuppance, but Jerry was totally the villain here and Tom still pays, this time in bleakly morbid fashion...
    Great example! Although, it still continues to be televised on a somewhat regular basis...

Last edited by K7P5V; 02-21-2021 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.

The "Mammy" maid from Tom and Jerry would definitely not fly today.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    The "Mammy" maid from Tom and Jerry would definitely not fly today.
    there was a reason why gone with the wind got cancelled last summer.

Ultimate Member

Everything in Exo-Squad.

Still love it, mind...

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

The way they got away with Joker killing people in BTAS by having them with those creepy grins, even though every kid knew that was death if they didn't get caught in time.

Quote Originally Posted by shades of eternity View Post
    Speedy Gonzolas.

Paradoxically, he was awesome in that strange loony toons sitcom where he owned a restaurant.
    Love the character but it plays, I suppose, to the "Mexicans are all thieves" mentality. And, of course, Slowpoke Rodriquez.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by shades of eternity View Post
    Speedy Gonzolas.

I don’t see anything wrong with Speedy! He’s awesome! Pretty popular among Latinos... I need him to return in the Looney Tunes reboot on HBO Max

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Yep, Speedy Gonzalez is very popular in Mexico... but there I assume his voice is dubbed in Spanish with something less stereotypical.

The nastiest racial stuff was the anti-Japanese material in the wartime cartoons. Unlike the other racial stereotyping, this was motivated by actual malice and hatred and was really nasty. They made fun of the Germans too, but it wasn't nearly as vicious.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Love the character but it plays, I suppose, to the "Mexicans are all thieves" mentality. And, of course, Slowpoke Rodriquez.
    I don't think the he fits in "Mexicans are all thieves" stereotype when Speedy is an heroic thieve.

What it is the stereotype of Slowpoke Rodriguez?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Yep, Speedy Gonzalez is very popular in Mexico... but there I assume his voice is dubbed in Spanish with something less stereotypical.
    Yeah. His voices is pretty normal in Mexican dub (he has an "accent").

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post

The nastiest racial stuff was the anti-Japanese material in the wartime cartoons. Unlike the other racial stereotyping, this was motivated by actual malice and hatred and was really nasty. They made fun of the Germans too, but it wasn't nearly as vicious.
    True - but it's been a bit reversed ever since, the Nazis now are far more likely to be portrayed as evil stereotypes than WWII era Japanese. Understandable considering the holocaust against the Jews, although the Japanese weren't innocent concerning racist war crimes either, just ask the Chinese or the Koreans.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    there was a reason why gone with the wind got cancelled last summer.
    I'm so glad I have the uncut film on blu-ray. While it does have major issues, as a film and history buff I find Gone With the Wind endlessly fascinating (including the making of featurettes).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Still, kids love Tom and Jerry and can distinguish the cartoon world from the real world.

Its the same with fairy tales from the brothers grimm.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Great example! Although, it still continues to be televised on a somewhat regular basis...

Yeah, that episode disturbed me from that day forward, and how Tuffy responded being a little turd about it made you wish Tom won in that episode.

And the other Tom & Jerry episode in which Tom was hiding inside a gift box to lure Jerry into a trap. When Jerry comes out and sees the present, he decides to stick needles in the box and then saw it in half while Tom was inside. This show had some really graphic sh!t.

Also, a majority of old Looney Tunes shows were pretty messed up as well.