View Poll Results: What percent of DC books read do you like?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nearly 100%

11 28.95%
  • 80-90%

12 31.58%
  • 60-70%

4 10.53%
  • 40-50%

5 13.16%
  • 20-30%

1 2.63%
  • Hate nearly everything but maybe 10%

6 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What Percentage of DC books you read do you like?

80% to 90% I enjoy reading

I'm curious what percentage of books that you read, do enjoying reading, and liking?

For me I'm pretty much only collecting trades and make a conscious effort to research and collect books that genuinely excite me, but duds do come up.

Every year or so I sell or trade the books a don't like or don't want to read again.

I'd say I genuinely enjoy about 80%-90% of the books I read. That is while I read it, regardless of plot holes or continuity problems or what have you, I had fun reading it. Out of that 80% of course I got some absolutely favorites.

I'd say 10% at most disappoint me, but not horrible.

10% I hated or couldn't finish.

So over all I've been reading steady for about 4ish years... relatively new reader compared to many vets here. I've read close to 200 trades over the last 4-5 years.

So what percent of the dc books you read do you like, do you enjoy reading?

EDIT: new or old books, doesn't matter when it was published, if it's new to you then it counts in your overall reading experience and enjoyment percentage.
    Last edited by Menacer; 02-21-2021 at 09:55 AM.

Well, to be honest, I'm not buying anything new from DC at present.

So I don't know how to answer your poll.

(I will probably buy one or two things in the next couple of months, however.)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Well I guess that would depend. Did you stop buying because you were hating what you were reading or disliking it... maybe the last option then...

Or was there some other reason for not buying?

I buy about 50ish trades per year. So usually once a week.

Arrow

I like about half of them.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

70%

I buy a lot of books out of habit, just because I have unbroken runs. Stupid, I know... *shrug*
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Honest question Major, when was the last time you *did* buy current comics on a regular basis? To the best of my memory, this has been your refrain for as long as I've been on these boards...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I'm very picky about the books I buy so 99% I like them

The only one I outright dislike was Red Hood Death of The Family that also has Teen Titans crossover in it because at that time I was collecting instead of being picky. Not only the art isn't good the story and timeline's nonsensical too.

So after that my attitude is just super culling. Don't like the setup, the art, the writing, and I see any hint in the preview that characterization and timeline doesn't match then it's not gonna be in the cart.

I didn't even continued picking up Geoff Johns Aquaman when I found out the timeline doesn't match Forever Evil and I haven't continued Morrison Action Comics because the facts didn't line up with Geoff Johns Justice League that I already bought, even though I like the story, art and writing in Aquaman and Action Comics more. Then because I dislike the writing of Wonder Woman in Johns' Justice League, I ended up dropping that as well ^^

So my purchase satisfaction is at near 100% because of heavy culling at the solicit and preview stages

I mean I guess I would say 80 to 90%, because genuinely I mainly pick up books on characters I like from writers that I like and if I don’t like it then I immediately drop it. That said sometimes I will get a bad story from a series I like, it’s not always someone fault sometimes the story is just not as strong as I hoped or it doesn’t resonate with me.

Edit: Oh hell, when I submitted my 80 to 90% I accidentally hit the hate nearly everything button when I submitted. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by sifighter; 02-19-2021 at 08:28 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

About 60-70%. As long as I enjoy the book a bit, I usually stay on. I'll need to be more selective eventually as space becomes more of an issue.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Nearly 100%, but I only buy Flash and Aquaman.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

None.

Most of my favorite DC characters are no where to be seen.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

80-90 for me. I don't really follow any character or creator religiously so that reduces number of stinkers significantly, at least to me. And well if I don't like something then I usually drop it couple of issues later.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Honest question Major, when was the last time you *did* buy current comics on a regular basis? To the best of my memory, this has been your refrain for as long as I've been on these boards...
    For DC comics?

Hmmmm . . . I bought all three issues of Batman: Three Jokers and felt the 1st issue was interesting, but it went down hill for the other two.

I bought the Rebirth volume of Batgirl until issue #38 but gave up after that.

I was buying Scooby-Doo! Team-Up, but DC ended that with issue #50 back towards the end of 2019.

Other than that, I was buying occasional issues of things like Detective Comics #1000 and #1027 as well as The Flash #750. Those issues were mixed bags of good and mediocre stories, but not good enough to get me to start buying them on a regular basis again.

Probably 60%.

Obviously I've read both the "acclaimed" and "critically-hated" stuff. Sometimes I find myself enjoying the latter more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    None.

Most of my favorite DC characters are no where to be seen.
    Which characters are your favorite that are missing???