View Poll Results: What percent of DC books read do you like?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nearly 100%

11 28.95%
  • 80-90%

12 31.58%
  • 60-70%

4 10.53%
  • 40-50%

5 13.16%
  • 20-30%

1 2.63%
  • Hate nearly everything but maybe 10%

6 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    All-New Member

Hard to answer, because is it based upon today's comics? I rarely read anything that is just coming out. I'm a teacher, and at $4 or more a book, I can't afford to grab a bunch of new things. I pick up chunks of things at a time (usually at a discount), or a collected edition. So, the hot series everyone is reading now might be something I get to in 2-3 years. So, I enjoy almost everything, but the stuff I am reading is anything from 1980-2015.

Quote Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
    Hard to answer, because is it based upon today's comics? I rarely read anything that is just coming out. I'm a teacher, and at $4 or more a book, I can't afford to grab a bunch of new things. I pick up chunks of things at a time (usually at a discount), or a collected edition. So, the hot series everyone is reading now might be something I get to in 2-3 years. So, I enjoy almost everything, but the stuff I am reading is anything from 1980-2015.
    I Definitely collect more then just todays comics... mostly I'm collecting old stuff since that's what's available at my used book store...

I collect 80% older and 20% fresh new trades...

It's just about what you are reading now... I mean a book from 1970s that I never read is still a new experience for me!

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Search for Mera and Death of a Prince, both stories were ahead of its time.
    Great added to my list. I'm heading to the used book store later today so I got lots of recommendations to look for!
    Thank you

I stopped buying monthlies because the hit-to-miss ratio was way too low. I’m not a good fit for modern DC, because I don’t care for dark, don’t care for decompression and don’t care for endless deck-shuffling of the status quo.

Now I read through DC Universe Infinite — mostly older stuff, which I tend to enjoy a lot. I will try new stuff if I hear good things, and I’m finding that a much better approach than rolling the dice on monthlies. I’d say I like at least 80% of what I read now, but the great thing is that if I don’t enjoy the first few pages of an issue, I can dip with no money or time lost.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Currently only reading Far Sector, which I enjoy, and Legion of Super-Heroes, which I have not. So 50%.

(I will never not buy Legion of Super-Heroes, even if I wish it were better. I won't be that guy who complains about it, but then never buys it and gets used as an excuse for why the book failed. If it fails, it ain't my fault!)
    You and I are cut from the same cloth.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    I Definitely collect more then just todays comics... mostly I'm collecting old stuff since that's what's available at my used book store...

I collect 80% older and 20% fresh new trades...

It's just about what you are reading now... I mean a book from 1970s that I never read is still a new experience for me!
    So are you buying any monthly series at this point, or strictly a collections reader?

I've thought about (and tried) to go trades-only for current material several times, but the FOMO gets to me too quickly. That, and I'd rather take a chance on a $3.99 single issue than a $24.99 trade. However with pre-order prices being as great as they are, the risk is significantly mitigated these days...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Nearly 100%.

I''m very picky about what I read so if I'm reading a title, it's something that I am sure that I'm going to enjoy so I'm rarely blindsided by something awful. Though there are times where I intentionally read awful comics just for laughs.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    So are you buying any monthly series at this point, or strictly a collections reader?

I've thought about (and tried) to go trades-only for current material several times, but the FOMO gets to me too quickly. That, and I'd rather take a chance on a $3.99 single issue than a $24.99 trade. However with pre-order prices being as great as they are, the risk is significantly mitigated these days...
    I will not do new monthly stuff. I always wait for the trade... the idea of reading month to month, the huge gaps... id compare that to starting a movie and watching 5min. Then shutting it off, then next month watch another 5min, rinse and repeat... horrible way to digest a story imo...

For example I was excited for bendis run, but i I only bought 1 trade. Then waited until I heard he was off the book, now Im collecting his full run on all books in trades as fast as I can.

So im always a year or 2 behind modern books, but Id rather get the story from start to end as fast as I can so everything is very fresh in my mind...

While i wait for new stuff to get collected in trades I collect anything from as old as 1970 to present ... usually based on what is available for real cheap at the used book store.

If for some reason,for example, i can only get Morrison JLA volume 3 and 4 at the used book store. I will then buy the vol 1 and 2 new...

So I at any given time I'm following and actively reading in various decades on various heros and teams on various runs...

I easily read 50 trades a year, some omnibus as well. So 300 or 400 singles equivalent no problem.

THE EXCEPTION
    I do buy old singles if no trade or omnibus's exist...

So for example blue supermans over 70 issues I have in singles since only Transformed is collected...

Superboy 90s 100ish singles run is also something Im expecting to collect all in singles since only trouble in paradise exists...

90s Kyle rayner Green Lantern volume 1 and 2 is fine, but the arc I really wanted was volume 3. But they canceled that... so that section i may also collect in singles.

So I do collect both singles and trades, but only new trades or old uncollected singles...

Sounds very practical!

I have a hard time starting something in one format and then finishing it in another. I'll sell off one or the other on eBay and re-track it down so I have the full series either collected or in singles. It isn't always cost efficient...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

These might be helpful.

The book store had a pretty small Aquaman section but 2 outta 3 isnt bad. I'll start with these 2.

20210221_122610.jpg

They also had some new52...

Lots of Rebirth stuff...
    Last edited by Menacer; 02-21-2021 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    Attachment 106393

The book store had a pretty small Aquaman section but 2 outta 3 isnt bad.
    Very nice! And they look to be in great shape too.

Personally I think this run is up there with Geoff Johns - hope you enjoy! Although you might wanna track down the first volume before you start, it might make for a better reading experience.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Very nice! And they look to be in great shape too.

Personally I think this run is up there with Geoff Johns - hope you enjoy! Although you might wanna track down the first volume before you start, it might make for a better reading experience.
    Yah I'll shelve these and just keep checking back...

Worst case amazon has a bunch of volume 1... just costly $35CAD

100% for me. But that’s because I’m only reading Far Sector. The rest of DC’s output doesn’t interest me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeb View Post
    I stopped buying monthlies because the hit-to-miss ratio was way too low. I’m not a good fit for modern DC, because I don’t care for dark, don’t care for decompression and don’t care for endless deck-shuffling of the status quo.

Now I read through DC Universe Infinite — mostly older stuff, which I tend to enjoy a lot. I will try new stuff if I hear good things, and I’m finding that a much better approach than rolling the dice on monthlies. I’d say I like at least 80% of what I read now, but the great thing is that if I don’t enjoy the first few pages of an issue, I can dip with no money or time lost.
    This is me, too.
    I no longer buy monthly comics. My money goes towards a DCUI subscription and rpg books.

I read mostly ClassicDCU, but I have been reading the current JLDark series.
    I figure if I could go from 1987 to 1992 focusing on just JLI and its spin-offs, I can probably do the same with JLDark.
    At least it's an easier read than the New52 JLDark was.

I'd say 80-90% for me, too, since I can be pretty selective with DCUI and/or read stuff I've already read.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

A bit out of topic, but what rpg books are you interested in?