Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Also, the criticism that Scorsese is doing a hypocrisy by working with Netflix reminded me of the meme that you can't criticize society if you participate in it.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 02-21-2021 at 09:53 AM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

I think the most important point, because otherwise everything is just people arguing in circles, is watch more movies. Movies are awesome. Honestly, I don't have too much patience or concentration that a lot of people seem to have in excess. I find it difficult to play a whole video game or watch a long television series, but movies? 2 hours? 3 hours? Totally doable. The perfect delivery system for self-contained unit of artistic storytelling.

It's great to have a favorite genre or franchise, but it's also great to expand your horizons and sample everything. Personally, I get bored, even of my favorite things. My real entryway into the movies was kaiju films, like Godzilla. It ended up shepherding me towards older films and foreign films! I love the genre, it's my comfort food, I've been collecting them on home video since I was a little kid, and I watch them all the time. Now, if I was locked in a world where those were the only things I could ever watch that would be a nightmare! Cliche: variety is the spice of life -very true statement. If you're not constantly learning about people and cultures and emotional experiences and styles that are just beyond your grasp, how boring would life be? The correct metaphor isn't "eat your vegetables" (as if difficult art is a chore) but rather "a balanced diet is very fulfilling" (newsflash: vegetables are great, maybe your folks just sucked at cooking them).

Let's say you're a kid and you never seen a work of art before, one day you look at a painting and are overwhelmed by its beauty and it changes your life. You embark upon a life where you look at hundreds of thousands of paintings, and learn all about the history of art and the biographical details of artists and cultures that produced them. Now you go back and look at that first painting again. Either you realize it was nothing special and that the fundamentals that attracted you to it the first place are better exemplified in other works of art, or maybe you now have the knowledge and experience to better understand why it really was as great as you thought it was as a kid and and now can articulate why. Either way, doesn't that sound like fun?

Anyway, watch The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp. It's a British movie from the '40s. It's really good, you guys - I promise!

--- edit---

Just remembered that the concept for Blimp is inspired by a newspaper comic strip! It's a comic movie! Y'all have no excuse to avoid it now!
    Last edited by Angilasman; 02-21-2021 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    https://www.cinemablend.com/news/256...-film-industry

Surprised no one has commented on this. That's rich coming from him. I feel like his argument is blown out of the water when Netflix came through and gave him the budget and creative freedom to make The Irishman. And yet he feels that streaming dilutes good movies? I don't think so. Look, the way he used to watch movies is gone now. People still love going to theaters but I don't see anything wrong with streaming at all. I'm sure there's people out there that will sit at home, watch an entertaining Disney+ Marvel series or film, and then change gears and watch say, Ingmar Bergman.
    I finally got around to his original comments and they were not nearly as bad as some made them out to be. He made it clear there were always movies he considered serious art and those that were mostly fun action movies and most people, himself included, loved those action movies and didn't insult them or people making or watching them. But that's because they were not made out to be more than they were.

Mind you, I don't completely agree. There were always lot of folks that were primarily interested in what he undoubtedly would consider less artistic movies.

In this latest statement, he barely even mentions superhero movies. He seems critical of the automated process where you stream one thing and constantly get bombarded with "If you liked this movie, here's a bunch of others to use up your free time..." and it becomes even more likely you won't think about watching something outside your usual box.

I don't think anything he said was untrue. But the truth is that the kind of movies he normally is involved in are just way, way outside of my areas of interest and I'm quite glad to have the availability we have today of movies in a genre I love.

We can debate all day about the quality and how some are better than others. But I likes what I likes and I detest the idea of "Giving people a choice" when it really means "Stop giving them as much of an option to see the movies they want to see so, for lack of options, they'll watch what I think they should be watching".
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Wow, I was going to post this exactly, including the “news at 11”.
    That used to be "Film at 11", yet more evidence that things have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Also, the criticism that Scorsese is doing a hypocrisy by working with Netflix reminded me of the meme that you can't criticize society if you participate in it.
    I'm just here to say that JarJar looks really good now that he's started working out.

Astonishing Member

He is a great director. I have no problem with him giving his opinion. Even if I disagree with it. It doesnt take anything away from him. Its like being mad at Bob Dylan for being critical of modern music. I don't know if he is but so what. Doesn't take anything away from what he has accomplished. Every director or film maker has their opinions on what is good or not. We just don't pay attention to most of them.