Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Scorsese is at it again...

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/256...-film-industry

Surprised no one has commented on this. That's rich coming from him. I feel like his argument is blown out of the water when Netflix came through and gave him the budget and creative freedom to make The Irishman. And yet he feels that streaming dilutes good movies? I don't think so. Look, the way he used to watch movies is gone now. People still love going to theaters but I don't see anything wrong with streaming at all. I'm sure there's people out there that will sit at home, watch an entertaining Disney+ Marvel series or film, and then change gears and watch say, Ingmar Bergman.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post

Surprised no one has commented on this. That's rich coming from him. I feel like his argument is blown out of the water when Netflix came through and gave him the budget and creative freedom to make The Irishman. And yet he feels that streaming dilutes good movies? I don't think so. Look, the way he used to watch movies is gone now. People still love going to theaters but I don't see anything wrong with streaming at all. I'm sure there's people out there that will sit at home, watch an entertaining Disney+ Marvel series or film, and then change gears and watch say, Ingmar Bergman.
    He didn't say that streaming services were evil, just that movie going experience has changed and what people and business men consider "content" has changed. The only thing I disagree with in this article is the suggestion that art vs business because of these new formats...that conflict has existed since the begining.

Ultimate Member

Nothing unusual in his comments here. He didn’t really attack streaming but he seems a bit critical of the “media heads” behind the whole streaming push.

So, he's basically mad that streaming services don't distinguish between what he considers good content and bad content? What the what?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post

I respect the guy. I just think this is his get off my lawn time. There really is no point in arguing against his point of view. It is what it is.

Old man rejects change, news at 11.

BANNED

I respect the guy and I think he makes some good points about streaming and blockbuster films but sometimes he needs to be a little more classy , there is a fine line between honest criticism and hate for hating.

Scorsese also needs to be more gracious to the younger film makers and respect that some things have changed.

I think all the fame and adoration has gone to his head, which is strange because as a director I would not put him in the same class as Alfred Hitchcock and Billy Wilder or William Wyler, who were far more gifted as directors.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Old man rejects change, news at 11.
    Wow, I was going to post this exactly, including the “news at 11”.

It sure doesn't feel like some MCU fans are still bitter about the truth bombs he set off a couple years ago, even though those comments were out of context too.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    It sure doesn't feel like some MCU fans are still bitter about the truth bombs he set off a couple years ago, even though those comments were out of context too.
    Well I don't see myself as the biggest MCU fan and lord knows I know MCU would have been much better without the disney control and the mass manufacturing film-making but Scorsese's achievement has clearly gone to his head.

It's a good thing I started watching more golden age Hollywood films, scorsese is good but many of his films are not even among the best of all time if we compare them to the best of that era and back then films had tighter resrtiction.

Scorsese just slams anything these days because he has the power and this is where he is loosing me even if I think he made some good points about streaming, comic book movies and blockbusters.

Lastly Scorsese completely ruined Cape Fear with his 90s remake, the original movie with Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum was the superior film. that movie showed some of his jarring flaws as a director because we could directly compare it to the classic 1962 original movie.

Scorsese should stop acting as if he is god's special gift to cinema.
    Last edited by Castle; 02-20-2021 at 07:53 AM.

We can't just disagree with him here. And I speak as someone who has been a fan of his movies since Taxi Driver in 1976. I love the MCU movies, but I didn't feel personally attack by what he said, I just felt he was wrong.

Scorsese is a student of cinema, he knows studio interference goes back to the silent era. Why does he think this is new or particularly greater today?
    Last edited by Kirby101; 02-20-2021 at 07:53 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I respect the guy and I think he makes some good points about streaming and blockbuster films but sometimes he needs to be a little more classy , there is a fine line between honest criticism and hate for hating.

Scorsese also needs to be more gracious to the younger film makers and respect that some things have changed.

I think all the fame and adoration has gone to his head, which is strange because as a director I would not put him in the same class as Alfred Hitchcock and Billy Wilder or William Wyler, who were far more gifted as directors.
    Wait, what?

Ultimate Member

But why make it about the MCU?
    Last edited by Username taken; 02-20-2021 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Wait, what?
    That one struck me as well, I mean Raging Bull alone....
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

People just can't handle criticism anymore, especially of the thing they like. In the old days, George Lucas made Star Wars but he also loved Spaceballs and Mel Brooks and provided his own company to help with VFX and boosted support for stuff like Hardware Wars. The Beatles loved the Rutles.

You can like something and accept criticism of that same thing. I like Westerns but if someone says they can't get into westerns because of the political and historical baggage of the Western, I would say that there's some Westerns that qualify as exceptions to that, at the same time I would also consider those to be valid reasons if only because I wouldn't want that kind of western to return and be popular and dominant again.

I like Superman the DC character but I also love Harvey Kurtzman's ruthless parody SUPERDUPERMAN and think that's a fairly accurate takedown of the least appealing aspects of the character and concept. As far as the MCU goes, I don't think any of them are outright bad as entertainment products. None of them are great and yet it's true that the MCU and its dominance does represent a significant challenge and threat to the elements that defined movie-making and production for decades.

For someone like Scorsese, it's a problem that none of these MCU stuff can even be considered to be "directed" anymore.

The MCU movies have major action and character moments pre-visualized years in advance by Second Unit teams before the directors are even signed and come to set. This kind of stuff is traditionally done by the director...Scorsese himself storyboards every shot and moment of all his films in advance, and does all the pre-production stuff himself. That's why the MCU is standardized to such an extent. It's very much made by committee, you might like that committee but if you are a director with a personal style and vision and the industry is dominated on a series of films that are committee-made and committee-designed, then it's hard to not see that as a threat to your profession especially if the rest of the industry feel they need to be like the MCU.