Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    I love how movie fans are now, apparently, separated into two categories: MCU fans and MCU non-fans.
    I like the MCU, but I like stuff not in the MCU more. Kick-Ass, Deadpool, Logan, Into the Spider-Verse, JOKER were better than any of the MCU films this decade I thought. But I still like the MCU as a fun day out at the movies. Popcorn fluff.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    But why make it about the MCU?
    This most recent article doesn't even mention Marvel though, he's criticizing streaming platforms for their their use of the word content. Here is the whole thing;

As recently as fifteen years ago, the term 'content' was heard only when people were discussing the cinema on a serious level, and it was contrasted with and measured against 'form.' Then, gradually, it was used more and more by the people who took over media companies, most of whom knew nothing about the history of the art form, or even cared enough to think that they should. 'Content' became a business term for all moving images: a David Lean movie, a cat video, a Super Bowl commercial, a superhero sequel, a series episode. It was linked, of course, not to the theatrical experience but to home viewing, on the streaming platforms that have come to overtake the moviegoing experience, just as Amazon overtook physical stores.
    The basic point here is that by referring to these projects as 'content' you are damaging them. This legit has nothing to do with the MCU specifically and could have very easily have been spurred by HBO Max.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 02-20-2021 at 05:12 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    This most recent article doesn't even mention Marvel though, he's criticizing streaming platforms for their their use of the word content. Here is the whole thing;

The basic point here is that by referring to these projects as 'content' you are damaging them. This legit has nothing to do with the MCU specifically and could have very easily have been spurred by HBO Max.
    Then why did you bring it (the MCU) up on the first place?

BANNED

HBO Max is more Nolan's territory, Scorsese has made a streaming movie and is making another one. I don't think Nolan will ever make a streaming movie. If scorsese dislikes it, Nolan hates it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    HBO Max is more Nolan's territory, Scorsese has made a streaming movie and is making another one. I don't think Nolan will ever make a streaming movie. If scorsese dislikes it, Nolan hates it.
    It's hard to feel invested in whatever medium Nolan prefers on that basis. Nolan has demonstrated his movie making skills are deteriorating, regardless of the size of screen they are displayed on. Frankly, he's just becoming irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Then why did you bring it (the MCU) up on the first place?
    I read the room, the title of the thread more or less told me where these criticisms were coming from (Scorsese at it again...). I should also say in my original post too I said Scorsese's comments on the MCU were misrepresented (He found it troubling that studios increasingly less inclined to invest in more artistic films).

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    It's hard to feel invested in whatever medium Nolan prefers on that basis. Nolan has demonstrated his movie making skills are deteriorating, regardless of the size of screen they are displayed on. Frankly, he's just becoming irrelevant.
    How so? Haven't seen Tenet, but just rewatched Dunkirk and it's still brilliant. As was Interstellar.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    That's because he has too. For The Irishmen, you were never going to get that film published in theatres (beyond the time needed for an Oscar nom) because it was nearly 4 hours long.

Ultimate Member

Exactly my point.

You brought up the MCU, why?. It wasn’t past of Scorceses point at all.

I read the room, the title of the thread more or less told me where these criticisms were coming from (Scorsese at it again...). I should also say in my original post too I said Scorsese's comments on the MCU were misrepresented (He found it troubling that studios increasingly less inclined to invest in more artistic films).
    But you were wrong. Again, nobody brought up the MCU before you did yet you're acting as though they did.

But you were wrong. Again, nobody brought up the MCU before you did yet you're acting as though they did.
    Yep, here is the first post on the first page to mention the MCU:
    It sure doesn't feel like some MCU fans are still bitter about the truth bombs he set off a couple years ago, even though those comments were out of context too.
    So he brings in a subject to the topic and then complains about people talking about that subject.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

You people do understand that you imply something without saying it, right? Again, the title of the thread is Scorsese is at it again..., implying that this is a continuation of the last Scorsese drama, which was MCU focused. I even said in my initial statement that I feel I know where these criticisms is coming from.

My mistake here was assuming was assuming the 'Then why bring up the MCU?' the poster was referring to Scorsese and not me (because again, the MCU was already brought up). That's why I clarified that Scorsese didn't actually bring up the MCU in this article.

You people do understand that you imply something without saying it, right? Again, the title of the thread is Scorsese is at it again..., implying that this is a continuation of the last Scorsese drama, which was MCU focused. I even said in my initial statement that I feel I know where these criticisms is coming from.

My mistake here was assuming was assuming the 'Then why bring up the MCU?' the poster was referring to Scorsese and not me (because again, the MCU was already brought up). That's why I clarified that Scorsese didn't actually bring up the MCU in this article.
    "At it again..." could easily also refer to him making controversial comments. You made an assumption based on the title and didn't bother to read the comments. If you had, you'd have known the complaints aren't coming from MCU fanboys.

"at it again" could merely mean complaining about the current state of the industry again. Which is what he was doing.

You inferred something that was not implied.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    "at it again" could merely mean complaining about the current state of the industry again. Which is what he was doing.

You inferred something that was not implied.
    "At it again..." could easily also refer to him making controversial comments. You made an assumption based on the title and didn't bother to read the comments. If you had, you'd have known the complaints aren't coming from MCU fanboys.
    Scorsese said something that was fairly non-controversial and the responses to his claim by some was calling him an old man. I don't think it is controversial for me to say, that given the previous context of Scorsese in this community, there was still some resentment toward him for past crimes.

Like CTTT first post was extremely combative toward the man;

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    https://www.cinemablend.com/news/256...-film-industry

Surprised no one has commented on this. That's rich coming from him. I feel like his argument is blown out of the water when Netflix came through and gave him the budget and creative freedom to make The Irishman. And yet he feels that streaming dilutes good movies? I don't think so. Look, the way he used to watch movies is gone now. People still love going to theaters but I don't see anything wrong with streaming at all. I'm sure there's people out there that will sit at home, watch an entertaining Disney+ Marvel series or film, and then change gears and watch say, Ingmar Bergman.
    From the get go I think it's fairly obvious where this topic was rooted (also, CTTT actually explicitly brought up the MCU first, so...)