View Poll Results: Should Soule write ASM?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 37.50%
  • No

20 62.50%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    You're shameless.
    I know what I like

Soule is a decent writer, and can probably be even more prolific than Spencer (he can write seven issues in a given month) so he would provide Marvel with the bonus of at least 24 issues an year that they're getting with Spencer.

I don't know if Soule would stick around that long, but that may not be a bad thing. After lengthy runs by Slott and Spencer (I'm assuming the guy is sticking around for at least another year) there may be an advantage to a run that can fit in an omnibus.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 03-01-2021 at 09:41 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I think Amazing Spider-Man's sales have benefitted greatly from having a single writer on a multi-year run. It's the kind of stability Batman has also enjoyed in the past decade or so to great commercial success. And Marvel is of course having their cake and eat it too with a recurring series of "short" ongoing series running alongside the main book penned by different writers.

That said, while I quite liked Soule's writing on the Inhumans book, I'd much rather have Donny Cates or Al Ewing as the next Amazing writer. Cates certainly has the passion, and right now the clout, to make it happen. But I'm still very much enjoying Nick Spencer's work so I'm in no rush for a change.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    But I'm still very much enjoying Nick Spencer's work so I'm in no rush for a change.
    Yeah, I'm in agreement, no rush to change the writer myself.

BANNED

Well, if you've taken a look at my pulling lists lately (which I'm bringing up to date) you may already deduce what I think about Spencer's work on ASM.

Astonishing Member

I know Zdarksy has done at least three separate Spider-Man comics already, but I would love to see him have a shot at The Amazing Spider-Man (assuming he wants to). He has arguably been the best writer of 616 Spider-Man in the post-OMD era. I know he already worked on PP:TSSM, but I heard the editorial mandate for that was for him to do a "Howard The Duck" styled book, and it kinda shows in how comedic it is. I imagine his Spider-Man in a TASM book would be very similar to the Spider-Man he is currently writing in his Daredevil run.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    He has arguably been the best writer of 616 Spider-Man in the post-OMD era.
    Tomato, tomahto. I wouldn't settle for the king in the country of the blind. The whole post-OMD era could be thrown into the trash-bin and nothing would happen.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Tomato, tomahto. I wouldn't settle for the king in the country of the blind. The whole post-OMD era could be thrown into the trash-bin and nothing would happen.
    Even by overall standards, his PP:SSM run and the way he writes Spider-Man in his Daredevil run have been very, very good. His Spider-Man comes off like a veteran superhero while still having the humor we associate with Spider-Man.

Astonishing Member

I know Zdarksy has done at least three separate Spider-Man comics already, but I would love to see him have a shot at The Amazing Spider-Man (assuming he wants to). He has arguably been the best writer of 616 Spider-Man in the post-OMD era. I know he already worked on PP:TSSM, but I heard the editorial mandate for that was for him to do a "Howard The Duck" styled book, and it kinda shows in how comedic it is. I imagine his Spider-Man in a TASM book would be very similar to the Spider-Man he is currently writing in his Daredevil run.
    I would love to see Chip Zdarksy write a Spider-Man & Black Widow team-up series. Even a Spider-Woman & Spider-Man team-up would be awesome to see..

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Only thing I can see with Cates is that he is already doing a lot.
    Even if we fast forward two years when Spencer 'may' finish, there's still Crossover, Thor (which he said will be longer than his Thor run) and the new Spawn title he'll be working on.
    I don't see him doing a Spider-man title that double ships.
    Either his Crossover will need to finish or go on hiatus, of which I believe the former is most likely (I'm expecting it to be anywhere between 25-30 issues), his Spawn will need to end (which again, I'm expecting around 15 issues) or Spider-man will need to ship once a month, which I don't see as happening.
    It could happen, but he also said he'll be working on something with Stegman soon, which could indicate a Spider-man run or something else. I'm not even convinced he is done telling Eddie Brock's story. He is said he is done with Venom, but he also said he won't finish with KiB (#200 isn't KiB) so at this point, that could mean anything.
    There's also the Thanos event he has been reading since he started at Marvel which could come to fruition within his Thor run.

As it stands, I don't think Spencer has years left on the title, I think he wants to be done by the end of the year. He seems to be wrapping up a lot of storylines already like the Tablet and he has already revealed who Kindred is.
    I would guess that Spencer leaves with #75, that gives him 16 issues to wrap up his story which I think he could do. That would give him a nice healthy run of around 90 issues (including the one-shots and . Issues).

Maybe I'm wrong and Cates could pull off writing 5 books a month, it's been done before. But I don't want to see him get burned out too quickly.

Anyway, I've said I'll love to see Ewing on it next, but I think it's going to be Rosenberg due to him co-writing the . Issues.
    It'll be weird to bring him on for 5 side issues and then do nothing with him, so I'm guessing Spencer wants him to continue the story, which leads me to believe that the title won't relaunch after #75 but continue until #100.
    But that's all just specualtion, I'll be very surprised if I get close.
    Spencer has stated numerous times Last Remains was the end of Act 1. There is no way he is done before #900. So we still have until next year and that is at a minimum. His run is also expanding to include a couple of Giant-Sized specials (as stated in the latest Amazing issue). Also, what threads is he wrapping up quickly? So far we have -

• Returned to the business with Kingpin searching for the tablets and Boomerang
    • We have the mystery of what happened to Carlie Cooper (who has gone on "vacation")
    • The stuff between Randy and Janice (no doubt reigniting tensions between Joe and Tmobstone)
    • The stuff between MJ and Mysterio
    • The Kindred stuff and why Harry ended up the way he did
    • The ongoing investigation of Dr Strange into why Peter's soul is "broken" and Mephisto

Plus they revealed in the latest Amazing Spencer has another big storyline brewing. No way this all wraps up in 13 more issues.

Cates is odds on favourite. But don't count Rosenberg out either. I think there is a reason he was working with Spencer on those supplementary issues for Last Remains and that may be to groom him to take over post Spencer.

As for Ewing? I can see Fantastic Four in his future as i dont see Slott remaining with that much longer.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 03-10-2021 at 05:25 PM.

Astonishing Member

I'd love Zdarsky, too. But he has had stints on Spidey books already. Not sure how much more he has left in the tank regarding the character.

Mighty Member

Oh I think Rosenberg will be the Person who takes over from Spencer, I think that's what those .LR issues where about, basically him getting comfortable with Spencer's style and to make the follow up more natural.

There's also the possibility of a team Spider-man book as those issues mostly featured the side characters from Spider-man in recent years. Those issues could have been a sort of pilot for that.

I'd love Zdarksy to come on and write an Amazing run, I think he has a good handle on the character. Al Ewing and Donny Cates also both will make classic amazing runs. In a just World, we'll get a Spider-man run from all three of them.

Zdarksy has all done my favourite run since the BND era so maybe I'm a little bias on that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I think Amazing Spider-Man's sales have benefitted greatly from having a single writer on a multi-year run. It's the kind of stability Batman has also enjoyed in the past decade or so to great commercial success. And Marvel is of course having their cake and eat it too with a recurring series of "short" ongoing series running alongside the main book penned by different writers.

That said, while I quite liked Soule's writing on the Inhumans book, I'd much rather have Donny Cates or Al Ewing as the next Amazing writer. Cates certainly has the passion, and right now the clout, to make it happen. But I'm still very much enjoying Nick Spencer's work so I'm in no rush for a change.
    I think the short revivals of the satellite titles is more about renewing trademarks than anything. Although it does offer a alternative for those who feel alienated by the current team on Amazing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Soule is a decent writer, and can probably be even more prolific than Spencer (he can write seven issues in a given month) so he would provide Marvel with the bonus of at least 24 issues an year that they're getting with Spencer.

I don't know if Soule would stick around that long, but that may not be a bad thing. After lengthy runs by Slott and Spencer (I'm assuming the guy is sticking around for at least another year) there may be an advantage to a run that can fit in an omnibus.
    My guess is that he is done with #900. I say this purely so he can have the honour of writing a anniversary issue in a anniversary year (2022 will be the 60th). Think about it - Spencer will get #100, do #900 and then a new team comes aboard with a new #1 the following month.

Soule is one of the hardest working writers at Marvel besides Ewing and wrote a very well-regarded run on She-Hulk. Why not, I say
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«