View Poll Results: Should Soule write ASM?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 37.50%
  • No

20 62.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Should Charles Soule become the next Amazing Spider-Man writer?

Do you feel that Soule should become the next Amazing Spider-Man writer after Nick Spencer's run is wrapped up?

Mighty Member

I wouldn't mind personally, he is more of a safe choice however. I think he could pull off a good run, maybe even better than Spencer's.
    But the only reason I think we'll remember Spencer in years to come is because his was a return to form. Soule would probably be enjoyed, and then left to the side as folks clammer for what comes next (which would probably be Cates).

Saying that, I wouldn't mind a Spider-man title from him, and if it's Amazing, I won't complain.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I can’t see Spencer leaving for a few more years yet.
    In that time, I imagine Cates might be free. He’s expressed his interest enough and he’s super popular so I imagine he’ll put first in the line by Marvel.
    Last edited by your_name_here; 02-20-2021 at 07:36 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Do you feel that Soule should become the next Amazing Spider-Man writer after Nick Spencer's run is wrapped up?
    He's certainly not the writer who comes to mind, who a lot of fans have enthusiasm to take over. As opposed to Donny Cates who seems to be the odds-on favorite, practically annointed as it were. (I personally think Christopher Cantwell might be more interesting but I digress)

Soule's time at Marvel was generally seen as unmemorable. His Daredevil run had interesting stuff there (Kingpin becoming Mayor, Matt regaining his Secret ID) but it's not considered a great run unlike Mark Waid's that came right before or Chip Zdarsky's current ongoing, that came right after. I am mostly indifferent to cold at the prospect of Soule taking over. He's not someone I have strong feelings for or against. Maybe he could do a good run on Spider-Man, who knows? But I also think he's on the periphery of superhero comics and he's also a writer whose star is maybe not as bright now as it once was (and even then it wasn't very bright), so commercially and practically, I don't think he's on the radar of Nick Lowe, Cebulski, or Quesada (the three people who really do have a say on who writes Spider-Man).

At the same time, I was fairly skeptical about Nick Spencer when it was announced he would write ASM, and yet his run has turned out to be on the whole quite entertaining, funny, consistent and interesting. It's not always clear from the outset if a writer would be good/bad for a title or not. There are writers whose run on a title I was hyped for, whose ideas for the character seemed aligned with mine, and yet their execution sucked out everything (Tom King on Batman, *disappointed sigh*) and there are writers who I was skeptical or dismissive going in, but whose stuff I ended up liking. I wasn't a Grant Morrison fan when I started reading his Batman run, but he wrote what was (warts and all) the last run on the title I really liked and followed.

So who knows how things play out?

Among writers who I'd be hyped if they write ASM - Tom Taylor, Christopher Cantwell, Gail Simone, Jody Houser, Ta-Nehisi Coates. But it's entirely possible that some or all of them could disappoint in execution, that can happen.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 02-20-2021 at 07:32 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I can’t see Spencer leaving for a few more years yet.
    In that time, I imagine Cates might be free. He’s expressed his interest enough and he’s super popular so I imagine he’ll put first in the line by Marvel.
    Only thing I can see with Cates is that he is already doing a lot.
    Even if we fast forward two years when Spencer 'may' finish, there's still Crossover, Thor (which he said will be longer than his Thor run) and the new Spawn title he'll be working on.
    I don't see him doing a Spider-man title that double ships.
    Either his Crossover will need to finish or go on hiatus, of which I believe the former is most likely (I'm expecting it to be anywhere between 25-30 issues), his Spawn will need to end (which again, I'm expecting around 15 issues) or Spider-man will need to ship once a month, which I don't see as happening.
    It could happen, but he also said he'll be working on something with Stegman soon, which could indicate a Spider-man run or something else. I'm not even convinced he is done telling Eddie Brock's story. He is said he is done with Venom, but he also said he won't finish with KiB (#200 isn't KiB) so at this point, that could mean anything.
    There's also the Thanos event he has been reading since he started at Marvel which could come to fruition within his Thor run.

As it stands, I don't think Spencer has years left on the title, I think he wants to be done by the end of the year. He seems to be wrapping up a lot of storylines already like the Tablet and he has already revealed who Kindred is.
    I would guess that Spencer leaves with #75, that gives him 16 issues to wrap up his story which I think he could do. That would give him a nice healthy run of around 90 issues (including the one-shots and . Issues).

Maybe I'm wrong and Cates could pull off writing 5 books a month, it's been done before. But I don't want to see him get burned out too quickly.

Anyway, I've said I'll love to see Ewing on it next, but I think it's going to be Rosenberg due to him co-writing the . Issues.
    It'll be weird to bring him on for 5 side issues and then do nothing with him, so I'm guessing Spencer wants him to continue the story, which leads me to believe that the title won't relaunch after #75 but continue until #100.
    But that's all just specualtion, I'll be very surprised if I get close.

Where is the "don't care" option? I have no opinion on the subject lol.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I think Soule is too busy with Star Wars at the moment.

BANNED

Soule would probably be better than Spencer, who's been no great improvement over Slott, but not my first choice. On the one hand, his DD was OK, better than what had come before or after, but not particularly enticing. On the other hand, the only Spider-Man I've enjoyed reading in recent year's is PAD's, who's also probably the writer on Marvel's staff more acquainted with the character.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

As far as I'm aware Spencer hasn't got any intention of leaving ASM anytime soon, and as far as I'm aware Marvel are happy enough to keep him there at least for now. That being said if Soule was the next writer of ASM, I'd be ok with it even if I would prefer Cates or Gage over him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    Cates or Gage
    Maybe and not again please.

(Blow from the past mate)

BANNED

I haven't been reading Spencer so I can't judge. But Soule's an interesting writer, when his heart is in it, when he respects the character then he knocks it out of the park (for me). When he doesn't, then it just comes across as if he's going through the motions to cash a cheque. I want to say that Soule's great with 'Type A' personality characters. But I tried his DD run and couldn't be bothered to finish it.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Maybe and not again please.

(Blow from the past mate)
    I liked Gage on ASM.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Assuming Nonstop Spider-Man is good, I’d want Joe Kelly to get a chance at ASM. My dream writer for ASM would be Matt Fraction but IDK if he’s even doing anything at Marvel right now.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

I vote for Christopher Priest.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    I liked Gage on ASM.
    You're shameless.