Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Any reading suggestions WandaVision *possible spoilers in thread*?

I've read:
    - House of M
    - Avengers Disassembled
    - Scarlet Witch by Robinson
    - Vision by King
    - Ultimates by Ewing

I'd like to read (more) about the following characters:

- Monica Rambeau
    - Agatha Harkness
    - Nightmare

If possible, I'd like to hear specific storylines/issues, not an entire run.

Here is what is suggested on comicvine:

//Wanda and Vision
    - Vision & The Scarlet Witch: The Saga of Wanda and Vision
    - Scarlet Witch by James Robinson
    - Vision: The Complete Collection (2015)

//Monica Rambeau old school
    - Captain Marvel: Monica Rambeau
    - Avengers: Absolute Vision
    - Avengers: Assemble
    - Eternals: The Dreaming Celestial Saga
    - Avengers: The Legacy of Thanos
    - Avengers Epic Collection: Under Siege (aka Time and Time Again + Under Siege)
    - The Avengers Epic Collection: Judgment Day (aka Assault on Olympus)
    - Avengers: Heavy Metal

//Monica Rambeau modern
    - Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E.
    - Mighty Avengers (2013)
    - Captain America & the Mighty Avengers (2014)
    - Ultimates Omniversal
    - Ultimates 2
    - Avengers: No Road Home
    - Strikeforce (2019)
    - Heralds

//Agatha Harkness
    - Avengers by John Byrne Omnibus
    or
    - Avengers West Coast: Vision Quest + Darker than Scarlet
    - The Avengers: Celestial Madonna
    - Scarlet Witch by James Robinson
    - Heroes Reborn: Avengers
    - Vision: The Complete Collection (2015)

//Nightmare
    - Doctor Strange: Lords of Fear
    - Journey Into Mystery: The Terrorism Myth
    - Doctor Strange by Mark Waid
    - Nightmare (1998)

//Various
    - Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars
    - Civil War + Civil War II

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I'm surprised it doesn't mention Agatha Harkness's first appearances in Fantastic Four. She was Franklin's first nanny. So she's been connected to of two reality warpers

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I'm surprised it doesn't mention Agatha Harkness's first appearances in Fantastic Four. She was Franklin's first nanny. So she's been connected to of two reality warpers
    I didn't mention issues not colled in trades. There indeed a few in the FF title and in the Wolverine title.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Maybe they're just doing Agatha + Wanda, but definitely think Agatha's first reveal kicking Frightful Four butt would be recommended reading.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Yes, that would be a good one. You know for the longest time I don't think the FF had a clue that she had powers.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    I didn't mention issues not colled in trades. There indeed a few in the FF title and in the Wolverine title.
    There are plenty of Fantastic Four collections out there. They're coming out with new editions this year since this is their 60th anniversary. Most of her significant appearances are from FF #94 and scattered through the 100s. Sometimes I think its cheaper just to subscribe to the Unlimited options of Comixology or the Marvel site. Sometimes they let you pay just for a month but you have to check their availability.

Extraordinary Member

You should definitely pick up the "Saga of Wanda and Vision" trade that includes their two miniseries from the '80s. They both focus on Wanda and Vision trying to live a normal life in the suburbs of New Jersey, and in the second series, Wanda uses magic to make her pregnant with her and Vision's children, and the series focuses on her pregnancy (a nine-month pregnancy, though) and ends with the birth of Billy and Tommy. Their neighbors are a couple of magicians whose stage names are "Glamour" and "Illusion." You'll find quite a few other Easter Eggs there.

For Agatha Harkness a very important issue is Avengers #128, where Agatha offers to help the Scarlet Witch become a "real" witch (up to that point she was simply considered a mutant whose name wasn't literal) and moves into Avengers Mansion to help her expand her powers. Agatha and Wanda work together for a few issues after that, but this is the big one that really goes into their mentor/student relationship and how Agatha does sinister things but is usually doing it to help Wanda.

The Agatha/Wanda relationship is revisited in the 1998 reboot of Avengers, issue #10, where Wanda goes to Agatha for help on understanding changes in her powers, and Agatha reveals that what she thought was her mutant power was also an ability to tap into chaos magic.

For Monica, most of her development happened in the Avengers run in the '80s by her co-creator, Roger Stern. The best part of that run begins in Avengers #255, when John Buscema took over as Monica's definitive artist, and lasts through about issue #285 after which Stern was fired and Monica was mostly underused as for a long time. The most famous storyline from that run is called "Under Siege" and has been reprinted in several books, so that's a good place to start if you want Monica in her prime.

You know for the longest time I don't think the FF had a clue that she had powers.
    Maybe... it was sort of coy. In that very first issue that introduced Agatha, the Thing gives her a look (think this is near the end after, the fuss is over - she did kick the Frightful 4's butts) and she questions him on whether or not he thinks she is a witch. He says no, but you can tell he wonders. Mostly my head cannon is, what other reason would they choose her, Reed and Sue that is?
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Maybe... it was sort of coy. In that very first issue that introduced Agatha, the Thing gives her a look (think this is near the end after, the fuss is over - she did kick the Frightful 4's butts) and she questions him on whether or not he thinks she is a witch. He says no, but you can tell he wonders. Mostly my head cannon is, what other reason would they choose her, Reed and Sue that is?
    Stan even gave Ben a thought bubble on the last page of that issue where he thinks: "Suzie 'n' Reed would never leave their pride and joy in the case of someone who wuz... who wuz... or would they?? Come ta think of it --- if they wanted to be sure it was someone who could really protect the kid..." So he's at least considering the possibility that maybe Reed and Sue knew about Agatha and want Franklin in the hands of someone with the power to protect him.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    You should definitely pick up the "Saga of Wanda and Vision" trade that includes their two miniseries from the '80s. They both focus on Wanda and Vision trying to live a normal life in the suburbs of New Jersey, and in the second series, Wanda uses magic to make her pregnant with her and Vision's children, and the series focuses on her pregnancy (a nine-month pregnancy, though) and ends with the birth of Billy and Tommy. Their neighbors are a couple of magicians whose stage names are "Glamour" and "Illusion." You'll find quite a few other Easter Eggs there.

For Agatha Harkness a very important issue is Avengers #128, where Agatha offers to help the Scarlet Witch become a "real" witch (up to that point she was simply considered a mutant whose name wasn't literal) and moves into Avengers Mansion to help her expand her powers. Agatha and Wanda work together for a few issues after that, but this is the big one that really goes into their mentor/student relationship and how Agatha does sinister things but is usually doing it to help Wanda.

The Agatha/Wanda relationship is revisited in the 1998 reboot of Avengers, issue #10, where Wanda goes to Agatha for help on understanding changes in her powers, and Agatha reveals that what she thought was her mutant power was also an ability to tap into chaos magic.

For Monica, most of her development happened in the Avengers run in the '80s by her co-creator, Roger Stern. The best part of that run begins in Avengers #255, when John Buscema took over as Monica's definitive artist, and lasts through about issue #285 after which Stern was fired and Monica was mostly underused as for a long time. The most famous storyline from that run is called "Under Siege" and has been reprinted in several books, so that's a good place to start if you want Monica in her prime.
    Thank you! Much appreciated, right to the point.
    Btw,
    do you know any issues revolving aroung Nightmare?

Kurt Busiek's Avengers run has a great version of Wanda.

I feel like the show is also touching a bit on Avengers 234 but likely not exact.

I also like Dr. Strange vs. Dracula. Which has Doctor Strange seek out the help of the Scarlet Witch and Monica Rambeau also helping to keep the Darkhold out of the hands of Dracula.

The old Darkhold series has Agatha and Wanda in it. Has a version of Tyler Hayward.

Giant Size Avengers #4 is where the Vision and the Scarlet Witch get married.

The show makes many random references to different Avengers issues. But those are often hard to collect and they are just slight references.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The two good trades for Monica are The Avengers: Absolute Vision volumes 1 and 2. They collect most of her first few years on the team plus volume 1 also includes her first apperance from Amazing Spider-Man Annual 16.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

For the Scarlet Witch the show seems to be taking some of it's cues from the John Byrne Avengers West Coast run in where the Vision and the Scarlet Witch were key figures. Issues 42-56 are big time Wanda and Vision stories. The Avengers West Coast Epic C0llection has issues 38-52 in plus a few annuals.

Above are all good suggestions.

My favorite Agatha Harkness story remains the Salem's Seven introduction in FF 186 with beautiful George Perez art.

Summarized online as: Salem's Seven's grandmother, Agatha Harkness, left New Salem to live in the outside world, where she became the governess of Franklin Richards, the son of Reed and Susan Richards of the hero team Fantastic Four. Scratch hated Harkness and had her and Franklin abducted to New Salem, intending to have her executed for treason to their community. (In fact, Harkness had never done anything to betray the New Salemites.) The Fantastic Four went after Harkness and Franklin but were captured as well. The Fantastic Four escaped their cell only to be confronted by Salem's Seven, who served as Scratch's elite warriors. However, the Fantastic Four overcame Salem's Seven, found Harkness in time to prevent her execution, and turned the community against Scratch. The New Salemites then mystically banished Scratch to another dimension.