Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fantastic Member

Default Creators' Pet: Characters that TPTB like too much

Ever see characters that are just ok for the most part, but the movie, tv show and/or book they're in seems to love them so much that they just take it over? This is not new and it happens a lot.It also comes at the expense of other characters that need development. Here are some pages that explain what I mean: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...racterShilling, https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...eatorsFavorite, and https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CreatorsPet.

Some more examples include Rachel from Glee, and Betty Cooper from Riverdale

Urkel would be a top contender. I also have a problem with villains that never go away on Superhero shows, like Tobias on BL or Alice on Batwoman.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Urkel would be a top contender. I also have a problem with villains that never go away on Superhero shows, like Tobias on BL or Alice on Batwoman.
    Oh god I hate that. Reverse Flash is another example. He's just not allowed to lose.

I also feel like Power Rangers is guilty of it with their villains. Almost none of the Zordon Era main antagonists were defeated by the Rangers, and spoilers:
    Venjix and Sledge were shown to survive their seasons.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

Thanos, Doctor Doom and Kingpin also count as this.

Trunks is a heroic example of this.

Boisterously Confused

I have occasionally felt that Marvel has done this with Magneto, and DC with Darkseid.

Even tho Claremont wasn't Maggy's creator, I think it still fits because Claremont so thoroughly remade the character. I'll grant you, Claremont did some really magnificent work on turning a mustache-twirling cliche into a compelling character that you could buy as the hero of his own internal story. Then, he got popular and it got out of hand.

As for Darkseid, well, to be fair, I don't know if he really fits the role of creator's pet. Kirby had a dirt-nap planned for him from issue 1. However, seems like ever since the 1990s Timm-verse toons that DC has forgotten that they have several other equally compelling villains in old rock-face's power category, like Brainiac and Mongul.

I think you'd really struggle to find anyone who is a fan of Danny Chase whose first name isn't Marv and whose surname isn't Wolfman.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post

As for Darkseid, well, to be fair, I don't know if he really fits the role of creator's pet. Kirby had a dirt-nap planned for him from issue 1. However, seems like ever since the 1990s Timm-verse toons that DC has forgotten that they have several other equally compelling villains in old rock-face's power category, like Brainiac and Mongul.
    But Mongul is just Starlin creating yet another carbon copy of Thanos, and Thanos was just Starlin's ripoff of Darkseid in the first place.