Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Creators' Pet: Characters that TPTB like too much

Ever see characters that are just ok for the most part, but the movie, tv show and/or book they're in seems to love them so much that they just take it over? This is not new and it happens a lot.It also comes at the expense of other characters that need development. Here are some pages that explain what I mean: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...racterShilling, https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...eatorsFavorite, and https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CreatorsPet.

Some more examples include Rachel from Glee, and Betty Cooper from Riverdale

Urkel would be a top contender. I also have a problem with villains that never go away on Superhero shows, like Tobias on BL or Alice on Batwoman.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Urkel would be a top contender. I also have a problem with villains that never go away on Superhero shows, like Tobias on BL or Alice on Batwoman.
    Oh god I hate that. Reverse Flash is another example. He's just not allowed to lose.

I also feel like Power Rangers is guilty of it with their villains. Almost none of the Zordon Era main antagonists were defeated by the Rangers, and spoilers:
    Venjix and Sledge were shown to survive their seasons.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

Thanos, Doctor Doom and Kingpin also count as this.

Trunks is a heroic example of this.

Boisterously Confused

I have occasionally felt that Marvel has done this with Magneto, and DC with Darkseid.

Even tho Claremont wasn't Maggy's creator, I think it still fits because Claremont so thoroughly remade the character. I'll grant you, Claremont did some really magnificent work on turning a mustache-twirling cliche into a compelling character that you could buy as the hero of his own internal story. Then, he got popular and it got out of hand.

As for Darkseid, well, to be fair, I don't know if he really fits the role of creator's pet. Kirby had a dirt-nap planned for him from issue 1. However, seems like ever since the 1990s Timm-verse toons that DC has forgotten that they have several other equally compelling villains in old rock-face's power category, like Brainiac and Mongul.

I think you'd really struggle to find anyone who is a fan of Danny Chase whose first name isn't Marv and whose surname isn't Wolfman.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post

As for Darkseid, well, to be fair, I don't know if he really fits the role of creator's pet. Kirby had a dirt-nap planned for him from issue 1. However, seems like ever since the 1990s Timm-verse toons that DC has forgotten that they have several other equally compelling villains in old rock-face's power category, like Brainiac and Mongul.
    But Mongul is just Starlin creating yet another carbon copy of Thanos, and Thanos was just Starlin's ripoff of Darkseid in the first place.

Extraordinary Member

I have a couple:

New 52 Teen Titans - Harvest - He basically became Scott Lobdell’s one-stop shopping order for whatever over-blown, pulled-out-of-his-ass misery that he inflicted on the book and its fans. Worst of all was when Didio wanted Superboy removed so Jon Kent could take the identity, so they interrupted a story arc from Pfeiffer just to have Lobdell bring in Harvest to declare Superboy a murder and disappear with him.

Star Wars - Ben. *******. Solo - Notice I didn’t say Kylo Ren; that persona was useful for at least one film as a bad guy, and honestly got just as screwed over as everyone else by the concept of Ben Solo, who LFL sacrificed every bit of goodwill and developed character they had in the ST to try and worship. Finn got demoted and denigrated for daring to be successful and not Adam Driver, Rey got pimped out and stripped of her characterization from TFA to pretend Ben Solo was someone people would care about, and the OT3 characters had all their legacy invested in this Neo-Nazi School Shooting Patricide who was never that deep to begin with.

People blame Rey’s power level for screwing her over. Being prostitution to Kylo Ren/Ben Solo starting in TLJ did a hell of a lot more damage than her power level.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

What about The Hood? Man, for a while there in the early 2000s, it really seemed like he was some kind of big deal, didn't it? I mean, I never got it, but at the time, seemed like you had at least a Kingpin-level archvillain who was going to be around for a while, if not Norman Osborn, Doom, or Loki level. Just seemed like he just completely dominated the criminal underworld for a minute there, and was a hugely big deal as a villain.

But if you weren't reading comics back then, right now you're probably wondering, "Who?" Because apparently the people whose darling he was not, just dropped him like a hot potato.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    What about The Hood? Man, for a while there in the early 2000s, it really seemed like he was some kind of big deal, didn't it? I mean, I never got it, but at the time, seemed like you had at least a Kingpin-level archvillain who was going to be around for a while, if not Norman Osborn, Doom, or Loki level. Just seemed like he just completely dominated the criminal underworld for a minute there, and was a hugely big deal as a villain.

But if you weren't reading comics back then, right now you're probably wondering, "Who?" Because apparently the people whose darling he was not, just dropped him like a hot potato.
    Marvel Legends just gave him is own action figure.

Now let that sink in when we are still waiting on Moon Girl-who has a show coming and SCREAM toy cash cow.

Let alone Marvel Legend versions of Wandavision, New Warriors (getting close though) and Young Avengers.

Urkel would be a top contender.
    Urkel saved that show that went 9 years.

Alexis on Dynasty says hi.

Heather Locklear on Melrose Place says hi.

And we see you Batman....

And you too Storm in Black Panther.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

X-Men writers love to do this. Wolverine and Phoenix come to mind.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Marvel Legends just gave him is own action figure.

Now let that sink in when we are still waiting on Moon Girl-who has a show coming and SCREAM toy cash cow.

Let alone Marvel Legend versions of Wandavision, New Warriors (getting close though) and Young Avengers.

Urkel saved that show that went 9 years.

Alexis on Dynasty says hi.

Heather Locklear on Melrose Place says hi.

And we see you Batman....

And you too Storm in Black Panther.
    I guess I stand corrected about the Hood being totally forgotten, but seemed like you couldn't get away from him, years back. I never saw the appeal, but apparently somebody at Marvel loved him. Somebody still does, I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    X-Men writers love to do this. Wolverine and Phoenix come to mind.
    Eh, we should distinguish creators' pet versus people using the known cash cow (Wolverine) or rehashing a popular story for the zillionth time (Phoenix).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post

I think Bendis wanted to put his stamp on a villain, just didn't work out. In fairness, his original mini-series by Brian K. Vaughan (of "Y the Last Man" and "Saga" fame) and Kyle Hotz was actually pretty good, IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/Hood-Blood-St.../dp/0785110585

Extraordinary Member

Harley Quinn.