Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Creators' Pest: Characters that TPTB hate or don't care for.

We all have characters that we either love or hate in movies, tv and comic books. Unfortunately for certain characters, that "we" includes the people writing for and working on them. As a result, they could end up in bad storylines, ignored entirely or even killed off. Here is an article that explains what I mean: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...n/CreatorsPest.

Another example: Dawson Leery on Dawson's Creek. That's right, the main character got the shaft in favor of Joey Potter, who was supposed to be his love interest!

Stan Lee hated Mary Jane.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Darkwing Duck’s writers didn’t really like The Liquidator; his constant use of commercial puns was hard af to write.

Pest is such a harsh word.

I don't know about creators but I hate Jar Jar Binks badly.

Astonishing Member

The writers of Charmed (1998) grew to hate Prue. Especially noticeable in the Sin Francisco where she was the only character who wasn't obviously affected by her sin.

Astonishing Member

Dan Didio hated Nightwing/Cassandra Cain/Wally West. He intentionally sabotaged the latter two characters and was going to kill the former and instead opted to screw with the ongoing instead.
    Didio also apparently didn't have warm feelings about the Earth Angel Supergirl or PAD and literally told Newsarama that SBP retconned punched the character out of existence.
    Joe Quesada hated Speedball. Supposedly that's why we got Penance in Thunderbolts.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 02-20-2021 at 02:16 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Dan Didio hated Nightwing/Cassandra Cain/Wally West. He intentionally sabotaged the latter two characters and was going to kill the former and instead opted to screw with the ongoing instead.
    Didio also apparently didn't have warm feelings about the Earth Angel Supergirl or PAD and literally told Newsarama that SBP retconned punched the character out of existence.
    Joe Quesada hated Speedball. Supposedly that's why we got Penance in Thunderbolts.
    That's really a shame. Speedball wasn't my favorite, but as far as I can recall, he was the last character at Marvel created after 1978 that wasn't carrying around big heaping bags of tragedy.

Extraordinary Member

TPTB at DC hate Power Girl.

Masashi Kishimoto reportedly didn't like Sakura anymore than many fans.

Ed Boon doesn't like Hsu Hao much either.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    TPTB at DC hate Power Girl.
    I think it would be more accurate to say they're apathetic rather than hateful.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I think it would be more accurate to say they're apathetic rather than hateful.
    I still view the Tanya Spears character as an attempt to replace her, since reconsidered, evidently, by Spears' name change, and by co-opting a lot of PG's character for SG over the years.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

DC editor Mike Carlin hated the JSA and cancelled their great series by Len Strazewski and Mike Parobeck even though it was making DC money.

Astonishing Member

DC editorial in general (barring a few exceptions) seems to hate the JSA for some reason.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    DC editorial in general (barring a few exceptions) seems to hate the JSA for some reason.
    Well, it's the only explanation I can think of for why there isn't a JSA book after so long.

BANNED

I'd imagine it's because a lot of the books in the past have been set in that WWII era/mindset and that doesn't appeal to a wide audience. Think it probably hurt Captain America's popularity back in the day. Like, oh great another Nazi villain/sleeper robot. And that's with Kirby in his prime writing/drawing. Also most of the people who enjoyed the JSA comics originally are dead, and I doubt very many went on to read comics for decades after, so there's not a lot of built-in nostalgia aside from the newer takes. In my opinion they did a smart thing when Johns rebooted the franchise by focusing on legacy characters and grounding it in the now, while also appealing to nostalgia for people who wanted that.