Mighty Member

Default AWFUL neighbours/housemates etc. you've had?

The other day I got a message under the door from one of the tenants in my block. She was saying that she was building a case to get the people in Apt.## evicted. " They have dumped sewerage at the bottom of the stairs to stop the plumbers from working and even slashed his tires the other week.."
    They live in the apt. next to me and fortunately I've never actually seen them. I have seen them leave boxes of food outside their door for days on end. My housemate has seen them. He says they often appear out of it on drugs, with the smell of pot coming from the unit ( Not that he's a saint. I've got a few stories to telll about him!)

What problems have you had?

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

I grew up somewhat poor in an apartment that was for low income families.

The family upstairs was a little... rougher than we were. For years, I woke up most Saturday mornings to the woman screaming at her (maybe 10 to 14 year old) daughter that she was a dirty pig and needed cleaning her rooms, there was a lot of door slamming and probably physical violence. And the walls were much too thin.

Mighty Member

Thanks. Had a guy downstairs at my old block who had not one but three abandoned cars filled with garbage. He also held noisy parties with loud Russian house music and screaming women. No surprise he got evicted.
    He was chummy with a weirdo housemate I had to kick out. He seemed like a decent guy but all these skeletons from his past came out and used my phone to make a thousand dollars worth of calls to a dating company. (More info available if interested
    ..)

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

For a year I lived with an alcoholic who was also mentally unstable. My other housemate and I rented the third room in our house to her after she gave a great interview. She'd drink straight Bacardi rum from a coffee cup every morning, pretending that it was indeed coffee, and even offering to make us some. So yeah, that was weird. Then we started finding empty bottles hidden in closets and underneath furniture. Not good.

Within a couple of months we also realized that when she got ready and left for "work" every morning, she was just pulling her car around the block and then coming home. She'd leave again around 5pm and come home after us to keep up the appearance that she had a job.

One day she came out of her room crying hysterically, because she'd just gotten word that her parents (who lived in another state) were killed in a car accident. Fast forward another 2-3 months, and a postcard came addressed to her from Paris where her parents were celebrating their anniversary. I tried to talk to her about it and she literally ran away, out the door and didn't come back for several days.

She came back and to deflect from talking about the story she'd concocted about her parents, tried to tell me she'd been abducted while walking down the street and held in an attic where she was gang raped until she escaped, and that's where she'd been the previous few days.

Eventually my housemate and I couldn't take the craziness anymore - she'd given up even hiding her drinking and was bringing over strangers from the bars every night and we had to step over people passed out in their own vomit many mornings - so we talked to the landlord about evicting her. When we tried to talk to her about it, she locked herself in her room for nearly a week before moving out in the middle of the night. No idea what happened to her or where she went.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Mighty Member

I tried to avoid the idiot housemate trap by advertising in Japanese newspapers and grocery stores for tidy polite Japanese people. I had a kind friendly J girl... With an idiot western boyfriend. He was rude and unstable, are the food in my cupboard , treated her badly and pretty much moved in , making me feel unwelcome in my own home. The girl kept taking his side but in the end tried coming around at 230 one morning harassing over the intercom. I ended up callings the cops. She ended up moving out as he kept stalking her.