Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Star Trek fans, Would you be watching Strange New Worlds

I know some trek fans who have said they have given up on Trek after Discovery and Picard. Some are holding on to hope that this would be the third charm for new trek.

I personally think strange new worlds would turn out to be as average to mediocre as Discovery and Picard but I will watch because it has spock and pike. The series would likely also introducing other characters like Uhura, Sulu and Bones.

For those that choose to watch or not watch, what are your expectations of the show and how can they correct some of the jarring errors of discovery and picard.

I've lost all interest in the property. I have no faith left that Kurtzman & co. know what they are doing. They want to turn Star Trek into a gritty dark dystopian future which I feel goes against the core message of a better future Trek always propagated (oddly enough, these ideas would be best suited for Star Wars another of my favorites). I'm purely a Star Wars person now. I detest Nu-Star Trek but I adore Nu-Star Wars (for the most part). Unlike Bad Robot the people at Lucas Films seem to love their property and respect its rich past (including elements of the old EU) rather than trying to **** on it like those at Bad Robot.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-20-2021 at 01:55 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I've lost all interest in the property. I have no faith left that Kurtzman & co. know what they are doing. I'm purely a Star Wars person now. I detest Nu-Star Trek but I adore Nu-Star Wars (for the most part).
    Interesting. I’ve lost interest in both, more or less. Though I feel Star Trek could more easily “right the ship” so to speak.

I have no confidence that it will, but Strange New Worlds could be a return to form.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

BANNED

No. Star Fleet has become a military institution rather than exploratory, and unless there is serious discussion that this does not occur in the same continuity as Discovery, I'm a hard pass.

I'll definitely be watching. I enjoyed Pike, Number One and Spock on Discovery.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    Interesting. I’ve lost interest in both, more or less. Though I feel Star Trek could more easily “right the ship” so to speak.

I have no confidence that it will, but Strange New Worlds could be a return to form.
    I don't think strange new worlds will be a return to form since it is been produced by the same people behind Picard and discovery. however I will be watching to prove myself right about it.

Kurtzman and Co are just terrible. How CBS-Paramount have not figured out they are the problem bugs me.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I don't think strange new worlds will be a return to form since it is been produced by the same people behind Picard and discovery. however I will be watching to prove myself right about it.

Kurtzman and Co are just terrible. How CBS-Paramount have not figured out they are the problem bugs me.
    It does me too. CBS seems content to flush their property down the toilet by losing a sizeable portion of the pre-existing fanbase which is especially concerning as Star Trek has always been niche (far more so than Star Wars).

Astonishing Member

I dont hate discovery. I don't love it either. And I liked the first half of Picard but then it went off the rails and I ended up hating it.

I haven't seen Discovery or Picard, but I'm excited about this show because they said it'd be more optimistic like original Trek. I remember they also said there would be some standalones. I hope to see Kirk and the others soon.

I've heard rumors they are thinking about turning Kirk bisexual. If they do it, I'll quit.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 02-20-2021 at 03:11 PM.

Boisterously Confused

I'll certainly give it a try. Pike is my favorite of all the ST Captains, Mount and the writers did solid work with him on STD, and Peck delivered a not at all bad interpretation of Spock (even if the roles did call for them to do Burnham worship, like the rest of the cast). I'm also interested to see how SNW develops Number One (will she actually prove to have a name?).

I've read that SNW is supposed to be a feel more like TOS. I hope that proves correct.

Now, if they bung up the Original Pilot crew for me? I shall be sorely vexed.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I haven't seen Discovery or Picard, but I'm excited about this show because they said it'd be more optimistic like original Trek. I remember they also said there would be some standalones. I hope to see Kirk and the others too soon.

I've heard rumors they are thinking about turning Kirk bisexual. If they do it, I'll quit.
    I wish you good luck, I truly do. I don't believe them anymore so I'll sit this one out until/unless the rumor proves true. I think they would tell any lie at this point for a short-term ratings boost and to diminish the fan/critic backlash

I hated DIS s1. I disliked how PIC became Patrick Stewart reprising his depressing role as Xavier in 'Logan' and taking the rest of the cast and plot into existential darkness.

However... I really liked DIS s2 and s3. There is a clear shift toward a more optimistic tone, and I really appreciated that despite ever-present Burnham worship. The other cast members even got more development in s3 than in the past 2 seasons combined.

The SNW actors have gone on at length about how the series will be more optimistic, more episodic, and more like Trek should be. As much as many other aspects of Trek have been butchered in the new era, the pitch perfect handling of Pike is the one shining example of the producers' potential for getting it right, and I hope that extends to the show Anson Mount will captain. Romijn and Peck were also great, and I look forward to more of them. So yes, I'll definitely be watching SNW with high hopes. I'm also looking forward to DIS s4 since they're finally able to create their own universe now while building on the feeling of hope that's returned to that show. I have zero interest in PIC beyond watching the TNG cast cameos.

And #1's name is Una. It was made canon when Pike says it in the scene where she and the kickass Admiral Cornwell (RIP) are deciding who'll defuse the photon torpedo.
    Last edited by nx01a; 02-20-2021 at 05:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Sure, The Lower Decks was good.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    It does me too. CBS seems content to flush their property down the toilet by losing a sizeable portion of the pre-existing fanbase which is especially concerning as Star Trek has always been niche (far more so than Star Wars).
    CBS has never released audience ratings. I notice how Disney always brags happily about how well the mandaloran is doing. Trek was always Niche but Trek could now be disappearing. Strange new worlds may just save trek??

I'll watch when it comes out on BluRay; have been liking the post-Kelvin stuff overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    For those that choose to watch or not watch, what are your expectations of the show and how can they correct some of the jarring errors of discovery and picard.
    Think I'd like to follow the TOS pattern of "exploring strange new worlds" every week, but have more character development across the series. Could see it being cool to bridge the gap right up to TOS (the Discover-prise configuration would be a continuity nightmare if so, but since the "damage" as already been done, might as well get the most mileage out of the opportunities).

As far as "correcting" anything, just don't; you make something just to fix a previous entry, then it's just a reaction. Just let DSC, PIC, LDS, and the Short Treks remain what they are, for good or bad, and let Strange New Worlds just focus on what it's going to be and being the best version of that.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)