Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I saw an advertisement for this Prodigy show and didn't even know it was Star Trek, holy crap that is not a good sign.
    ...They've only released a single image...how can one form any kind of real opinion on that?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    ...They've only released a single image...how can one form any kind of real opinion on that?
    We specialize in that on these forums.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I saw an advertisement for this Prodigy show and didn't even know it was Star Trek, holy crap that is not a good sign.
    Agreed, it looks nothing like star trek.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Abrams' Trek didn't bother me it was merely a Star Wars sci-fi action wanna-be. It is the new raft of TV shows I detest.

As I've said, I'll now wait for the consensus before I give any Nu-Trek series a watch.
    Abrams never got star wars or star trek. He hurt both series.

However, star trek kelvin timeline may find some redemption with strange new worlds because they are roughly the same characters and although Strange new worlds is meant to be a direct prequel to TOS.It will be written as a loose alternate reality.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Doesn't look like a Horta.
    Might be sort of a redesign with the same basic idea (sillicon based lifeform). DC Comics's Trek had a Horta crewmember that didn't really look like the "Pizza" one from the original series. We never did see the offspring anyway, it's possible they look different (Like say, the Alien Queen from ALIENS looks different than her 'drones') or part of the life-cycle.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Abrams never got star wars or star trek. He hurt both series.

However, star trek kelvin timeline may find some redemption with strange new worlds because they are roughly the same characters and although Strange new worlds is meant to be a direct prequel to TOS.It will be written as a loose alternate reality.
    How do you figure? None of the other "revival," Generation 3, or whatever the heck you want to call the current batch of Star Trek projects have been written as a lose alternate reality. Why would this show, specifically marketed as a DSC spinoff, be any differnt?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Might be sort of a redesign with the same basic idea (sillicon based lifeform). DC Comics's Trek had a Horta crewmember that didn't really look like the "Pizza" one from the original series. We never did see the offspring anyway, it's possible they look different (Like say, the Alien Queen from ALIENS looks different than her 'drones') or part of the life-cycle.
    We do see a baby Horta in the remastered version of "The Devil in the Dark" and it's a pizza creature. Also recall that a TOS-style Horta was used in DSC as set dressing (it's appearance on the show period is a continuity error itself, but that's another topic). Also worth noting that, as much as the G3 Star Trek projects like to play fast and loose with franchise continuity in regards to technology and production designs, they're generally pretty faithful to the alien makeup (DSC Klingons notwithstanding and even they were "fixed" in the second season).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Yeah, true. Still nice to see Aliens that don't really fit into the humanoid thing that's kind of been a Star Trek thing for years. Always found it kind of weird that TOS Trek oftens had these kind of inhuman alien designs that were imaginitive if a bit on the rubbery side (although there were still plenty of aliens that were either entirely human or just had body paint), while TNG and the others mostly stuck with small prosthetics for the most part. It especially became noticeable when compared to contemporary film aliens (Granted, films had a larger budget) like Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I didn't even know it was a Star Trek thing though, I just thought it was a Star Trek-like Dreamworks film. I do like that the whole cast is alien and am willing to give the show a shot, but, from a design stand point, this is the most radical we've ever seen a Star Trek show or from any long standing franchise really (excluding like obscure non-canon novels). I don't even think Star Wars has done something this aesthetically different.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Yeah, true. Still nice to see Aliens that don't really fit into the humanoid thing that's kind of been a Star Trek thing for years. Always found it kind of weird that TOS Trek oftens had these kind of inhuman alien designs that were imaginitive if a bit on the rubbery side (although there were still plenty of aliens that were either entirely human or just had body paint), while TNG and the others mostly stuck with small prosthetics for the most part. It especially became noticeable when compared to contemporary film aliens (Granted, films had a larger budget) like Star Wars.
    Or even the J.J. Abrams Star Trek movies. If nothing else, good to see Prodigy is taking more advantage of the animated format, like TAS did back in the day.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

How do you figure? None of the other "revival," Generation 3, or whatever the heck you want to call the current batch of Star Trek projects have been written as a lose alternate reality. Why would this show, specifically marketed as a DSC spinoff, be any differnt?

We do see a baby Horta in the remastered version of "The Devil in the Dark" and it's a pizza creature. Also recall that a TOS-style Horta was used in DSC as set dressing (it's appearance on the show period is a continuity error itself, but that's another topic). Also worth noting that, as much as the G3 Star Trek projects like to play fast and loose with franchise continuity in regards to technology and production designs, they're generally pretty faithful to the alien makeup (DSC Klingons notwithstanding and even they were "fixed" in the second season).
    The introduction of Michael Burnham to the star trek universe and the use of the spore drive in discovery, including how the klingon race is de-scripted in discovery has already made discovery a loose alternate reality. strange new worlds is branching off from discovery.

The introduction of Michael Burnham to the star trek universe and the use of the spore drive in discovery, including how the klingon race is de-scripted in discovery has already made discovery a loose alternate reality. strange new worlds is branching off from discovery.
    Burnham never contradicted anything and the spore drive was explained in season 2. The Klingons were given context to fit in season 2.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Burnham never contradicted anything and the spore drive was explained in season 2. The Klingons were given context to fit in season 2.
    Really? Your excuse is "believable retcon"?

Ok

Or even the J.J. Abrams Star Trek movies. If nothing else, good to see Prodigy is taking more advantage of the animated format, like TAS did back in the day.
    Yeah, even BEYOND (produced by Abrams and IMO the most traditional Trek of the Kelvinverse films) didn't really go uh...beyond what you'd see in a regular Trek series/movie, although I guess that was part of the plot (That Elba's surviving crew were basically mutant humans).

Incredible Member

...Strange new worlds is meant to be a direct prequel to TOS.It will be written as a loose alternate reality.
    These two sentences contradict each other.
    Sounds perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Really? Your excuse is "believable retcon"?

Ok
    Yeah, the same as we do all the time when the Star Trek franchise contradicted itself (how many years passed before the first major change in the Klingon makeup was explained?)

Yeah, even BEYOND (produced by Abrams and IMO the most traditional Trek of the Kelvinverse films) didn't really go uh...beyond what you'd see in a regular Trek series/movie, although I guess that was part of the plot (That Elba's surviving crew were basically mutant humans).
    Recall the filmmakers saying that they tried to create 50 new aliens for that movie, albeit most of them turning out to be background characters.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)