Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DCEU vs. MCU

Default DCEU vs. MCU

A few years ago, this would have gone no contest to the MCU, in my opinion, but I got to thinking... how about now?

I ranked all the MCU and DCEU movies from 1 - 5, where 5 was "amazing" and 1 was "awful", and I ended up getting a 3.48 average for the MCU and a 3.5 for the DCEU (including Zach Snyder's Justice League). If I included Joker as an Elseworlds title, I got a 3.6 for the DCEU.

For me, the best of the MCU includes both the Spider-Man movies, Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame, the original Iron Man, and Guardians of the Galaxy, while the worst includes Thor: The Dark World, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Guardian Vol. 2, and Ant-Man and the Wasp.

The best of the DCEU includes Wonder Woman, Shazam, ZSJL, and Joker (if you count Elseworlds), while the worst includes Suicide Squad, BvS: Ultimate Edition, and the original Justice League.

If the DCEU can keep it up and WB keeps enabling their directors to do what they do best, I really think we're looking a stronger cinematic universe. It may not all tie together nicely yet, but I'm really hoping Flashpoint serves as a foundation for how the universe connects (and super excited to see how it compares to the graphic novel). Even if things remain a bit fractured in the DCEU, I would be thrilled to watch more stellar movies.

What do you think? How does the DCEU compare to the MCU today?

Spectacular Member

The DCEU is a disjointed mess but the average quality of the movies has gotten better

Spectacular Member randomideaguy's Avatar

It’s funny cause I’m generally more of a DC fan in general, but when it comes to live action adaptions the MCU is about a decade ahead. That said I usually think more about DC movies, because with them it’s more “that’s not how I would’ve adapted storyline XYZ” whereas with the MCU it’s just “yeah that’s about how I would do this storyline” so then the thought ends there. All that to say I’m generally more of a DC fan but The MCU is more likely to get me out to the movie theaters.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

My take here is that there's no DCEU.

There are DC Movies, sure.

But - and that's a shame - because Snyder really, really wanted to have some lines from DKR ipsis literis in his movies, he pretty much killed the possibility of a lot of DC properties, and DC having connective tissue between it's pictures.

Does it mean that Marvel movies are better? No.

But Kevin Feige took the work of looking at the Marvel Universe and asking himself "how does this work?". Snyder didn't, he looked at the DCU and asked himself "how can I put DKR into a newborn universe?". The obvious answer is that you can't, but he didn't care.

So, quality of movies aside, there is no DCEU,
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Incredible Member

The DCEU is just a handful of films, so it's tough to be competitive.

Once you throw in the Nolan Batman trilogy and Watchmen (which, while I understand the issues, I still loved) and the Donner Superman films, I would definitely take DC films over Marvel films.

The animated films and, in particular, the animated TV shows (BTAS, JLU, STAS, JL) are no contest, too.

Live action TV? More competitive, perhaps, but probably still DC.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I don't think this thread will stay up for long since the mods dont like Marvel comparisons in here, but while it's up, my personal ranking would probably go:

Man of Steel
    Justice League (Snyder Cut)
    Infinity War
    Black Panther
    Endgame
    BvS
    Wonder Woman
    Winter Soldier

Those are my favorites.

Iron Man 1 and Avengers get major points for being pioneers but I haven't seen those movies in a while and I have a hunch they won't view as good on rewatch.

Quote Originally Posted by noisebloom View Post
    For me, the best of the MCU includes both the Spider-Man movies
    I legitimately can't understand this view...why? How?

Edit: More in line with the topic, I'm enjoying the films more now that there's been less emphasis on trying to connect it together, and honestly I'd love it even more if they abandon the shared universe entirely, but even I know that's too much to hope for. Thing is, a shared universe stopped being a draw for me years ago. I don't care for the team ups, or how it all connects. Just give me a damn good movie that ignores the cinematic universe angle.

It's part of why I loved Joker so much and am incredibly hyped for The Batman.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 03-28-2021 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I don't think this thread will stay up for long since the mods dont like Marvel comparisons in here, but while it's up, my personal ranking would probably go:

Man of Steel
    Justice League (Snyder Cut)
    Infinity War
    Black Panther
    Endgame
    BvS
    Wonder Woman
    Winter Soldier

Those are my favorites.

Iron Man 1 and Avengers get major points for being pioneers but I haven't seen those movies in a while and I have a hunch they won't view as good on rewatch.
    Avengers no, but the first Iron Man I still hold to be the best film of the MCU. But tastes vary.

Ultimate Member

I have to say I like the MCU more. I like the interconnectedness a lot, in fact I prefer to see heroes interacting with one another outsideif combat, and i feel the DCEU falls short on that. I also feel a lot more genuine emotion for the MCU heroes. And I like seeing actual color.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Avengers no, but the first Iron Man I still hold to be the best film of the MCU. But tastes vary.
    Idl, i hear this a lot but I don't like the Avengers any less after rewatching it

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Idl, i hear this a lot but I don't like the Avengers any less after rewatching it
    It might depend on how you felt about the Avengers to begin with. I always thought it was all spectacle no substance so...

Ultimate Member

It might depend on how you felt about the Avengers to begin with. I always thought it was all spectacle no substance so...
    I always thought the plot was basic and just served the action. But i don't think there's no substance

The MCU has been been an insane juggernaut that the DECEU is still trying to play catchup with. However, I think specific films in the DCEU are easily on the level of the best MCU stuff. Ironically, the DCEU has gotten better when they stop worrying about the cinematic universe thing (and seriously, outside of the MCU, the Monster-Verse, and stuff like Star Trek and Star Wars with libraries worth of lore, no one else has been able to make it work anyways) and just make standalone films (standlones that could exist in the same universe, but still).

I legitimately can't understand this view...why? How?
    Dunno, not sure Homecoming has stayed that much with me, but Far From Home is easily one of the good ones.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I always thought the plot was basic and just served the action. But i don't think there's no substance
    Maybe "no" was thoughtless of me. "Low" might be better. It's low on substance. It's main thing was just being the first team up of these characters after their solo movie. Once the novelty of that wears off, it's not enough to be an interesting story on it's own like say Infinity War or Endgame.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Dunno, not sure Homecoming has stayed that much with me, but Far From Home is easily one of the good ones.
    To each their own. Thought it had some good jokes, and the ending was crazy, but otherwise FFH wasn't much better than Homecoming. They're just some of the weakest MCU and Spider-Man movies for me. It's like seeing one of your favorite characters in the most mediocre story they've ever been in, and then everyone around you going how great this is. Like, what? I like the MCU, I like Spider-Man, yet I can't seem to like MCU Spider-Man.

Thankfully there's Into the Spider-Verse.

Incredible Member

From a production point: MCU
    From a box office point: MCU
    From a pop culture impact point: MCU

From a meme point: DCEU, MARTHA!!!

Marvel has a system and it’s working. They have made successful movie franchises out of characters I thought would never get anywhere. The tv mini series side is pulling in characters I’d of never dreamed of.

The place I feel DC excels over Marvel in this space is animated projects, into the spider-verse of course is a massive success, and despite the Disney plus shows DCs tv side of things is outright impressive. They did on tv what should’ve been done in theatres.