Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Neither Discovery or Strange New Worlds are set in an alternate reality. Feel free not to like them, but the people making the shows ultimately get to call the shots on what "counts"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Neither Discovery or Strange New Worlds are set in an alternate reality. Feel free not to like them, but the people making the shows ultimately get to call the shots on what "counts"
    Not true. Ridiculously not true. Only I get to decide what counts. The studio just gets to decide how to continue and change. This is why these continuity discussions are so frustrating. Continuity is what I decide it is, no one else.
    Last edited by green_garnish; 02-27-2021 at 04:25 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I know Discovery or Strange New Worlds are not set in an alternate reality but the writers keep writing things that way. I wonder how many inconsistency strange new worlds will have against TOS. it will be ...by a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I know Discovery or Strange New Worlds are not set in an alternate reality but the writers keep writing things that way.
    You mean how they constantly reference stuff from the old TV shows and build off of stuff from them?

I wonder how many inconsistency strange new worlds will have against TOS. it will be ...by a lot.
    Well, to be fair, TOS has quite a few inconsistencies with the rest of the franchise.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Not true. Ridiculously not true. Only I get to decide what counts. The studio just gets to decide how to continue and change. This is why these continuity discussions are so frustrating. Continuity is what I decide it is, no one else.
    You're welcome to in your head...but that's not how it works officially.

BTW I'm reading Excelsior: Forged In Fire. While of course the books are "non-canon" it's still kind of a fun read.

Although one problem I do have is that it kind of tries to 'small universe' things like some of the other books (The Khan trilogy, for example) In this case, it's the DS9 episode with all the classic Klingon captains and Dax (Blood oath), how the Klingons got the ridges back, The Omega Glory virus, Dr.Chapel and Sarek showing up, Sulu getting the Excelsior and an explanation why the original Trill episode had a man with forehead makeup instead of the spots).

BTW as for the tech changes in Discovery and Strange New Worlds, I think DSC did try to explain things a bit, basically that the Spore Drive was unique to Discovery (Well and it's sister ship which got turned inside out pretty much) and was lost/classified, and that all the other out of place tech we see on the Discovery (Such as holograms) was somehow incompatible with Enterprise-style ships.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 03-04-2021 at 06:35 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    ...as for the tech changes in Discovery and Strange New Worlds, I think DSC did try to explain things a bit, basically that the Spore Drive was unique to Discovery (Well and it's sister ship which got turned inside out pretty much) and was lost/classified, and that all the other out of place tech we see on the Discovery (Such as holograms) was somehow incompatible with Enterprise-style ships.
    Maybe it's that I grew up experiencing several different takes on The Legion of Superheroes' 3Xth Century, but I tend not to stress over things like altering stuff to reflect our view of the future changing. I'd almost rather the shows not explicitly grapple with the differences in how future tech is depicted from one series to the next, and just run with a vision that looks futuristic now. I'm not saying make a series unrecognizable as part of the franchise, just don't take the issue so seriously.

It seems to be a common issue in prequels, for instance the Star Wars prequels having technology 'too advanced' for the originals (although one could argue it's because the Empire preferred cheap mass-production and a lot of the Rebel ships were either old or cobbled together).

Same with the Alien stuff (Although the main excuse is that the Nostromo is basically a space truck while Prometheus was financed by a super-wealthy guy).

I've been watching the original Gundam and it pretty much goes out of it's way to say the Gundam is certainly unique until at least the last month or so of the war. However, pretty much every spinoff during the same time period has shown there to be several other Gundams (08th Ms team being the biggest offender!). Also the fairly linear design evolution of the Gundam from the original series through it's sequels is also pretty much complicated by the 'side stories'.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I'll give it a chance but not optimistic because I wasn't a fan of Discovery or Picard

Discovery: The series feels forced and odd. Michael's Character really irritates me and it feels like this series is trying too hard to make fans like her, but to me it backfired and I have the opposite effect. The special effects are beautiful but the story is also a con. It had good ideas but really piss poor execution on them. Also the only character I in that show I really enjoyed was Lorca. If he was a main focus I'd be happy with the show. Its like we traded the best character and got the worst

Picard: DS9 was my favorite Trek Series but Picard felt too depressing. I hated what happened with the Romulans. I found them to be the most interesting and potential of the Star Trek Races

As for Strange New Worlds... I'll be good to see a series that hopefully focuses on exploration

Overall, I'd much rather have a Riker Series

- Far more charismatic
    - Takes place in the future
    - Character is more interesting in my books
    - more potential for Original Ideas

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Overall, I'd much rather have a Riker Series

- Far more charismatic
    - Takes place in the future
    - Character is more interesting in my books
    - more potential for Original Ideas
    I actually think a "Young Riker" prequel series/movie would have been cool. Frakes might be too old to play a non-retired Riker now. Not sure he would have done it as I thought he mentioned he had some anxiety about being in front of the camera since he hadn't been working there in so long.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    BTW I'm reading Excelsior: Forged In Fire. While of course the books are "non-canon" it's still kind of a fun read.

Although one problem I do have is that it kind of tries to 'small universe' things like some of the other books (The Khan trilogy, for example) In this case, it's the DS9 episode with all the classic Klingon captains and Dax (Blood oath), how the Klingons got the ridges back, The Omega Glory virus, Dr.Chapel and Sarek showing up, Sulu getting the Excelsior and an explanation why the original Trill episode had a man with forehead makeup instead of the spots).

BTW as for the tech changes in Discovery and Strange New Worlds, I think DSC did try to explain things a bit, basically that the Spore Drive was unique to Discovery (Well and it's sister ship which got turned inside out pretty much) and was lost/classified, and that all the other out of place tech we see on the Discovery (Such as holograms) was somehow incompatible with Enterprise-style ships.
    I doubt they will explain it, additionally discovery is not the best explainer of things. The burn's explanation was not worth the wait.

discovery used the spore drive because it was a comfortable decision, that matters more than sticking to cannon, that the spore drive should not be available yet.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I actually think a "Young Riker" prequel series/movie would have been cool. Frakes might be too old to play a non-retired Riker now. Not sure he would have done it as I thought he mentioned he had some anxiety about being in front of the camera since he hadn't been working there in so long.
    A young Riker series would be more successful for Paramount + than Section 31. Who wants to really see that show?

There's some story ideas they can use, such as Riker's father issues and of course his early days with Troi.

A DS9 revival (or characters showing up in other shows) could be interesting too, although I think many of the stars have moved on or passed (Rene, Eisenberg). I suppose you could recast Odo since he's a changeling but Rene's acting/voice really would be missed. Brooks is a bit eccentric now; Alexander Siddig and Colm Meaney have done some bigger movies and roles lately but I think the same could for Stewart, Nana Visitor I think would probably do it.

Quark is probably the most likely to appear (probably in Picard), he was mentioned in that show as well. Although I don't know if Shimmerman wants to go through all that makeup again.

A young Riker series would be more successful for Paramount + than Section 31. Who wants to really see that show?
    If it was based on the time it took place during DS9 I'd watch it in a heartbeat.

Section 31 in that series showed the true dark side of the Federation and in my books were the strongest power. Even surpassing the Dominion.

The Tal'Shiar and Obsidian Order (Black Ops of the Romulans and Cardassians) sent a fleet to bombard the planet the Founders lived on. The fleet flew into a trap and were all but obliterated.

Section 31 on the other hand simply infects Odo and he unknowingly spread the disease quickly almost wiping out the Founders completely. Their methods were effective and had zero problems playing the genocide card. These guys seriously didn't mess around

But this Discovery Version? I love Michelle Yeoh and I'll give it a chance but not interested.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 03-04-2021 at 11:48 AM.