Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Superman: House of El Issue #1 Preview

My most anticipated book of Future Sate.

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Serious question: can I inject this book into me, and replace my blood with it because I am so very here for everything it seems to be going for.

I'm already sold on the idea of this living on past Future State. Hear me out: Space Game of Thrones, and the House of El on Earth's moon is House Stark at Winterfell. New Krypton would be sorta-kinda King's Landing. Whatever the case, the vibe here is really, really good, and this has legs even if intended to just be a fun thing PKJ thought up as a coda to Future State.

I'll probably be looking back at this issue for the next year or so to check off all the clues it's supposed to have (and having read PKJ's Last God, I believe him when he says he's left clues). Like, does this mean we'll get a Brainiac friend or AI in the present? There is that one bit in Worlds of War where it talks about Kryptonians taking over with Brainiac AI (is that what the Atlantians found in the ship?). Does Clark gain control over Warworld?? What's Brainiac 4 saying here? Knowing PKJ his come up with the translation for it.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-20-2021 at 03:54 PM.

Oh that's some good stuff. But you know me, I'm a total sucker for Superman Squadron type stories.

I *just* got caught up on Future State and I'm enjoying the sh*t out of it. Much better than I expected, so if this one finds its way into the pull box it'll definitely be coming home with me.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

There is a greenlantern superperson?This looks cool
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    There is a greenlantern superperson?This looks cool
    If you're talking about the dark skinned woman in green with the mace, I'm not sure. But Rowan (the Black main Superman (and Jon's descendant) that we see leading everyone) is supposed to have a twin sister that's a Blue Lantern. The one we see could just be wearing green, or they could've changed it last minute to make Rowan's sister a Green Lantern. I see no ring on her finger though, so I'm guessing that's neither his sister nor a GL, but rather just someone wearing green.

For some reason this reminds me of the Krypton TV show. Maybe the interpersonal and conflicted family dynamics, focus on the House of El, and alien setting.

(I hate the multiple wives thing, though).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They should've thrown a few husbands in the mix. Total missed opportunity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    For some reason this reminds me of the Krypton TV show. Maybe the interpersonal and conflicted family dynamics, focus on the House of El, and alien setting.

So ignore it for the trash idea it is. I plan to.

Mark Waid once argued with people on Twitter about this years ago. Someone asked him if Clark would outlive Lois and if he would ever marry again and Waid’s responses were a super clear “Yes and No.”

“Yes, Superman will outlive Lois but he will never marry anyone but Lois.”

He didn’t say he wouldn’t have other relationships—but he clearly said he felt Clark would never take marriage vows to someone else bc vows to love someone in that way were ones he could only honestly make to her. He was challenged about what he wrote in Kingdom Come and, putting aside that he has admitted he regrets KC, he basically said he never said Superman married Wonder Woman and he didn’t believe he ever did.

The assumption was that Waid viewed Superman as being essentially too honorable to ever make promises about lifelong devotion to someone that he couldn’t keep which is why he stood firm that, even if he outlived her and even if he had other relationships he would never marry again because the only person he could genuinely promise to love forever in that way forsaking all others was Lois. Other relationships? Sure. Maybe. But marriage vows were reserved for Lois. Period. To imply otherwise was to mistake Clark’s honor. Unlike some people, marriage vows actually::mean:: something to him. He doesn’t collect women as trophies.

Waid obviously is a much more legitimate authority on what Clark would or wouldn’t do than this so I’m sticking with Waid on this one. Multiple wives is a completely out of character choice that tarnishes Clark’s honor. Making Lois the “favorite wife” is a misogynist idea. This isn’t the Bible with the favored wife and the backup wives and that was obviously problematic there too. The idea is even more suspect coming from a writer who already talks constantly about how much he loves his son and so lives for Jon Kent but has never once mentioned his wife (if he has one) nor given Lois the time of day from the minute he got on the books.

I’m glad that some people will enjoy some of the creative ideas in the issue of which I’m sure there will be many. But the way Philip Kennedy Johnson got there leaves a sour taste.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 02-21-2021 at 09:43 PM.

I think clark has the capacity to fall in love with anyone again and be married.People are putting clark on a pedestal where shouldn't be.He ain't some ideal man.He ain't that honorable.He forgot lyla.

Oh my God, a Future State Superman book that I might actually like. Seriously, this is already off to a really interesting start.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I think clark has the capacity to fall in love with anyone again and be married.People are putting clark on a pedestal where shouldn't be.He ain't some ideal man.He ain't that honorable.He forgot lyla.
    Take it up with Mark Waid. I’m supremely confident he has a better grasp on what Clark would or wouldn’t do specifically concerning women than you.

You don’t think marriage vows are that big of a deal. Clark does.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 02-22-2021 at 01:28 PM.

In the context of this particular story, if Lois is long gone, I'd be cool with Clark moving on. Hell, I'm pretty sure she'd want him to. However...It wouldn't surprise me at all if Clark never found someone else. Not even for a fling. I could totally see him being the "I already had my happily ever after" kind of person.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Take it up with Mark Waid. I’m supremely confident he has a better grasp on what Clark would or wouldn’t do specifically concerning women than you.

You don’t think marriage vows are that big of a deal. Clark does.
    Did i ever say marriage vows aren't a big deal?All i said was,Clark ain't that ideal man in reality.There is an attempt to have him as that.Being good to be inspirational is what drives the character as motive these days and what the writers of the character want him to be.Being good more often than not, can't go beyond the societal norms.As for waid knowing what clark would do regarding relationship or women.I am sure he does.But,that doesn't mean I can't have different opinion.His authority on superman means less to me.The books i have read and my view on it is what stated above.Clark married lyla ( non real version).He would have the real one as well.He was deeply in love with her.But then,he got over the "arm being torn off".He did get married,again.And don't say that was "dream" or "not real".The emotions kal had when he took those vows would have been.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-22-2021 at 02:14 PM.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

FUTURE STATE SUPERMAN: HOUSE OF EL is amazing. About as good as a Superman book can be. Can't wait for PKJ's run to start!

Gotta read it again.