Default Inigo Montoya vs. Westley (Princess Bride Rematch)

Arena match between the two swordsmen.

The difference? Westley HAD somehow (dont think too hard about it lol) been the one to kill his father and Inigo is similarly possessed by the same conviction and strength of will that he had when fighting the 6 fingered man.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Arena match between the two swordsmen.

The difference? Westley HAD somehow (dont think too hard about it lol) been the one to kill his father and Inigo is similarly possessed by the same conviction and strength of will that he had when fighting the 6 fingered man.
    The Dread Pirate Westley still owns him. The fight wasn't particularly close, Westley was better in every conceivable way. Plus, Westley was already fighting for true love (or to blaaave, which means "to bluff.") which, as we know from the film, is a bigger motivation than revenge or anything else.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    The Dread Pirate Westley still owns him. The fight wasn't particularly close, Westley was better in every conceivable way. Plus, Westley was already fighting for true love (or to blaaave, which means "to bluff.") which, as we know from the film, is a bigger motivation than revenge or anything else.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
    The Princess Bride is the gift that keeps on giving. My life has been better thanks to that film.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

If anything, I'd argue that Inigo's rage at his father's killer made him less dangerous and more sloppy.

Six Fingered Man wasn't even half the swordsman Westley was and he managed to gimmick him and blindside him with a throwing knife and put him in very real danger of death. Inigo in a full blood-fury mode isn't going to beat someone who whipped him pretty bad when he was focused and calm.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    If anything, I'd argue that Inigo's rage at his father's killer made him less dangerous and more sloppy.

Six Fingered Man wasn't even half the swordsman Westley was and he managed to gimmick him and blindside him with a throwing knife and put him in very real danger of death. Inigo in a full blood-fury mode isn't going to beat someone who whipped him pretty bad when he was focused and calm.
    This pretty much seals it for me; Nik's correct, Inigo wasn't on his A-game when he went after ol'Six-fingers.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

After the initial damage was done from the knife, I would argue Inigo almost received a power up. Similar to Garou (sp?) from OPM.

Despite his massive injury he suddenly was fighting on all cylinders. Casually deflecting and disarming his opponent.

I wont die on this hill though. True Love Conquers All was the real theme of the movie after all.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Incorrect. Revenge is the bigger motivation, as it was Inigo promising that making Westley better would result in "humiliations galore" for Prince Humperdink that caused Miracle Max to work for 65. And throw in a Holocaust Cloak for Fezzik, but he mostly did that because it fit Fezzik so well.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Even reading posts talking about this movie makes me smile.

Which is kinda necessary right now.
    Last edited by Beadle; 02-23-2021 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Appalling grammar.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Incorrect. Revenge is the bigger motivation, as it was Inigo promising that making Westley better would result in "humiliations galore" for Prince Humperdink that caused Miracle Max to work for 65. And throw in a Holocaust Cloak for Fezzik, but he mostly did that because it fit Fezzik so well.
    Even Inigo himself admits that true love is the most important motivation. Miracle Max says it's the second most important thing after a nice MLT (mutton, lettuce and tomato, when the mutton is nice and lean). Miracle Max refuses to help for revenge when Inigo initially asks him. And of course, Max finally DOES help because of true love, when he wife threatens him for trying to change "true love" into "to blave," he wasn't going to help at all for revenge or any other reason. So it's arguable for Max (because he's also very keen on the idea of revenge against Humperdink), but 100% sure for everyone else - true love is the true source of Westley's God Ki.

Wishing you the best.
    - big_adventure

Is it just usual covid-world screwiness + brexit is stupid or something more? I hope you are doing well.

Is it just usual covid-world screwiness + brexit is stupid or something more? I hope you are doing well.
    I did kind of mean the general COVID-y stuff for everyone, but yeah, things are particularly sub-optimal at my end at the moment.

Family stuff that is definitively less than ideal.

Which is British for f***ing awful.

I did kind of mean the general COVID-y stuff for everyone, but yeah, things are particularly sub-optimal at my end at the moment.

Family stuff that is definitively less than ideal.

Which is British for f***ing awful.
    Damn, sorry to hear that. Family can be tough - believe me I know. I hope everything works out as well as it can. I'll send some cheese-infused positive thoughts from France.