Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who Do You Plan On Leaving Your Collection To?

Most of us have comics, movies, books, videogames and systems, action figures, cards, etc., that we've collected over the years/decades. Some of us have quite the collection in our man caves.

My daughter doesn't seem interested at all and out of all of my nieces and nephews, 6 altogether, there's only one that has the same interests as me so he's the likely front-runner right now. But if I become a granddad someday(no time soon!), I'd want to pass on my empire to him/her.

So is there anyone in mind that you have plans to leave your collection to or will you have it all buried with you?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Most of us have comics, movies, books, videogames and systems, action figures, cards, etc., that we've collected over the years/decades. Some of us have quite the collection in our man caves.

My daughter doesn't seem interested at all and out of all of my nieces and nephews, 6 altogether, there's only one that has the same interests as me so he's the likely front-runner right now. But if I become a granddad someday(no time soon!), I'd want to pass on my empire to him/her.

So is there anyone in mind that you have plans to leave your collection to or will you have it all buried with you?
    My son turned 8 last year, which is the age I was when I got into comics. I gave him half of my collection with two stipulations: that he put them back when he's finished and that he enjoy them. He said he didn't want to own the collection, but was happy to read them all. Still, in my mind, they are his to treat the same way I treated my comics when I was 8. He is careful with them, though some have gone from pristine to coverless in the last year.

The other half remains under lock and key, for now. He and my wife know that these comics are either worth more or mean more to me than the ones he currently has access to. They will be his, though. I haven't read any of them in years, and I am much more interested in them being enjoyed than being collector's items that might garner him a few thousand bucks -- at best.

Quote Originally Posted by frankiedetroit View Post
    My son turned 8 last year, which is the age I was when I got into comics. I gave him half of my collection with two stipulations: that he put them back when he's finished and that he enjoy them. He said he didn't want to own the collection, but was happy to read them all. Still, in my mind, they are his to treat the same way I treated my comics when I was 8. He is careful with them, though some have gone from pristine to coverless in the last year.

The other half remains under lock and key, for now. He and my wife know that these comics are either worth more or mean more to me than the ones he currently has access to. They will be his, though. I haven't read any of them in years, and I am much more interested in them being enjoyed than being collector's items that might garner him a few thousand bucks -- at best.
    Yeah, that's ultimately what I want, someone to get the same enjoyment out of my comics(and the rest) that I do.

I did get my daughter liking Star Wars(still not as much as I do though) so I'm proud of that.

Astonishing Member

There are several charities around here that help out poor families, especially immigrants and refugees, as well as families that are going through economic hardships due to unemployment or illness. I want to leave my comics to these charities to give to the children of those families, since those households don't have enough money to buy food and clothes, much less comics for the kids. Most of these homes have no reading material for adults or children, and I would like to bring a little bit of entertainment into their lives. Also, the kids in many of these families are just learning English as a second language, and having something interesting to read would help them with English and reading in general, and that in turn would help them in school.

BANNED

I have moved so much in my life that generally I just prefer saving everything to memory cards.

Well my 3 kids like different aspects of my nerdom.

My son is my sci-fi fan those books and such go there.

My oldest daughter is my superhero and Japanophile fan, so that stuff goes there.

My youngest is my fantasy fan, so that stuff will go there.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

No one is interested in having my collection, so I will sell it when I got a cancer diagnosis or something life threatening. The money I will get out of it is better suited for my kids, so they can spend it on games and whatnot

Extraordinary Member

I'm still young but if I have kids it'll be them. If not, probably a children's hospital or something.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    There are several charities around here that help out poor families, especially immigrants and refugees, as well as families that are going through economic hardships due to unemployment or illness. I want to leave my comics to these charities to give to the children of those families, since those households don't have enough money to buy food and clothes, much less comics for the kids. Most of these homes have no reading material for adults or children, and I would like to bring a little bit of entertainment into their lives. Also, the kids in many of these families are just learning English as a second language, and having something interesting to read would help them with English and reading in general, and that in turn would help them in school.
    That's a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Well my 3 kids like different aspects of my nerdom.

My son is my sci-fi fan those books and such go there.

My oldest daughter is my superhero and Japanophile fan, so that stuff goes there.

My youngest is my fantasy fan, so that stuff will go there.
    Well it looks like you have it covered, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Well it looks like you have it covered, lol.
    When I stopped pushing stuff on them and gave up, they showed interests.

I know I am pretty lucky.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I had mine in a storage space for 20 years. When we bought a condo in 2017, I realized I would never have room to have them with me. Just locked storage where I could not enjoy them. So I sold my collection.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

At this moment in time I'm planning on sharing it between my two kids, at least until I know which one is more likely to enjoy them.

Retired

If any of my nephews had shown an interest in comic books, I would have given them to them. But despite my best efforts, they never fancied them and rather look down their nose at such things.

If I don't dump the whole collection before I die, then I guess they'll get thrown out by someone. But I won't be alive to worry about it.

Astonishing Member

With comic book readers diminishing over the curse of the next years, who knows if comics won't be worth anything anymore in the future.

I always wanted to buy Eternia, the Masters of the Universe Playset, that cost 1000 or more, but I guess if I don't want to spend so much money on it I will just wait for another 30 years. No one is alive that appreciates Eternia anymore and I can buy it for 30 bucks :-)