Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I think they should have already been around in extremely small numbers with few incidents. The more powerful mutants have laid low and the majority of the very small number had powers that weren't very dangerous (like that one mutant who can make tattoos appear on people's skin). But the number of mutants has been increasing and their gifts becoming more powerful. This prompts Charles Xavier, who had been helping with world conflicts covertly using telepathy, to take action with the help of his human friend Dr. Moira MacTaggert to open his school to train young mutants to use their abilities. The status quo of mutants being relatively unknown with the X-Men as Xavier's secret response team lasts for about one movie until the unthinkable happens and a mutant teenager loses control of his powers in school killing and injuring a bunch of people. This leads the floodgates to open revealing mutants to the world and subjecting them to prejudice and spurring certain mutant extremists to action.

Now, here's the thing. Because Xavier's School is starting now, that means that the majority of mutants, including the X-Men . . . are teenagers. Which is in some ways fitting because it reflects an existing television show all about the X-Men existing in a world that doesn't know about mutants yet, ahem . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6faj24XtmP8. But I know that isn't everyone's cup of tea. Anyway, my personal line-up of choice is: Cyclops, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Marvel Girl, Storm and Jubilee (yes, Wolverine as a teenager. We've already had the definitive regular version. So, now we can play around and have him as the "Judd Nelson from Breakfast Club" type character in this group). One other upside, having Storm show up in a world that doesn't know mutants but knows who Thor is means that we won't be painting Kenyan people as superstitious and backward if we include a certain part of her origin. Now, when a girl who can control rain and lightning shows up they'll just logically be like "Oh, I get it. She must be a god like that one you see on American TV. The Avengers have theirs and now we have one of our own".

Just one idea for how to do this. Honestly, I don't think the "X-Men Problem" is as much of a problem as people think it is. I mean, a lot of the questions people are bringing up are ones that people don't even bother asking about the comics. Like "If the X-Men were around, why weren't they helping". Answer: "I don't know. Where were the Avengers during all those X-Men crossovers in the comics? Somewhere else because it wasn't their comic book." And despite arguments that the movies need these questions answered because they're movies for the general public and have to be held to "a higher standard", I'm not sure that's true. If anything, I think they probably ask fewer questions than comic book fans.

To me the answer is a combination of wandavision and Dr Strange and the multiverse of madness. Since the sequel to doctor strange will be dealing with the Multiverse maybe the big solve to save everything will result in 2 existing universes combining into one. So the Fox X-Men universe existed as it did and the MCU existed as it did, but in order to save everything to continue to exist they had to become 1 with both histories intact.

The fact is that after End game the MCU's History isn't as intact as it was we now have cap having gone back to the forties and live out his life from there. we now have a loki in action back in another time. Hell we have Thanos defeated before hebaquired any infinity stones. with the start of stage 4 we can't actually guarantee that everything that came before actually happened as it did originally. Strange in Banner mentioned what would happen with making changes and my guess will be that the multiverse of madness will be dealing with what resulted from the actions in history in End game
    Last edited by beatboks; 02-21-2021 at 06:03 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by beatboks View Post
    The fact is that after End game the MCU's History isn't as intact as it walls we now have cap having gone back to the forties in live there is life we now have a lot in achi the went back to another time with the start of stage 4 we can't actually guarantee that everything that came before actually happened as it did originally.
    So much of this post is lost with auto correct, but i think that cap returning to 1945 was the one big plot hole of the film. He could not have returned the time stone to 2014 and taken himself back to 1945 unless he got The Ancient One to send him there. That seems...unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    So much of this post is lost with auto correct, but i think that cap returning to 1945 was the one big plot hole of the film. He could not have returned the time stone to 2014 and taken himself back to 1945 unless he got The Ancient One to send him there. That seems...unlikely.
    That's just it, I think cap returned to 45 and held onto the stone (securely) intil he could give it to the ancient one at the right time. If he had given it to the ancient one seconds after they had gotten it having been under his protection in secret for 50 or 60 years how would that have been different than if he returned it to the exact point in time? I mean that's what he did handing down the shield, so it's not like it's without precedent.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by beatboks View Post
    That's just it, I think cap returned to 45 and held onto the stone (securely) intil he could give it to the ancient one at the right time. If he had given it to the ancient one seconds after they had gotten it having been under his protection in secret for 50 or 60 years how would that have been different than if he returned it to the exact point in time? I mean that's what he did handing down the shield, so it's not like it's without precedent.
    Assuming that he would survive 70 and be able to successfully navigate the situation (attack on New York) to be at the right place at the right time seems like putting an awful lot of reality at risk for the life of Captain America. Doesn't seem like a choice he would make.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    This leads the floodgates to open revealing mutants to the world and subjecting them to prejudice and spurring certain mutant extremists to action.
    You mean like what caused the Sokovia act?

In 2016, a devastating terrorist attack in Lagos, Nigeria resulted in the deaths of twenty-six people, eleven of the victims being relief workers from the African nation of Wakanda.
    The Sokovia accords
    The Sokovia Accords are a set of legal documents designed to regulate the activities of enhanced individuals, specifically for those who work for either government agencies such as S.H.I.E.L.D. or for private organizations such as the Avengers. Established by the United Nations and ratified by 117 nations, the accords serve as a "middle point" between the Avengers' desire to secure world peace and the international community's concern over the repercussions of the Avengers' actions.
    I understand it is simple as law being revoked and doing things make it sense in the story but I think people aren't understanding enough that MCU isn't the 616 and trying to hamfist certain stuff to happen like "extreme mutant hate" that Marvel 616 has is a bad idea. Now while I admit midvillian1322 had a good point Xavier not being more experience than his students which made me realize yes you need a first generation of mutants before other group "pops up" I still think MCU should try its own new approach and it is going to sound blasphemous but MCU should focus more on the superhero angle than social angle with X-men.

To me if the MCU tries to go OMG you should be afraid of mutants but ignore Avengers and FF running around with powers basically ignoring them it will be bad storytelling. That said announcing to the world that Scarlet Witch is mutant and "caused" Mutants to happen with her Hex and mutants are these unnatural creatures that shouldn't exist, are a affront to God and mutants are going to replace good old humans well that is good base for hate to happen even when it is explained that mutants are natural occurring phenomena.

The Avengers may have saved the universe but it's not like (especially Tony and Banner) haven't given the populance enough reasons to be fearful of them and other gifted people.

BANNED

Just introduce it the normal way. Mutants are the next stop for Human evolution. Build on that and create what does feel like a separate universe within the marvel universe. It also solves the issue of mutants are hated but Avengers and FF are loved which indeed would be blasphemous and bad story telling not to draw a main line as to why.

What makes X-Men tick is the content-themes of their universe not the major cinematic connection that has shown in the MCU Spiderman series could be more of a hindrance.

I just saw this video drop on my you tube feed by looper. some of the things the video covered for a Saturday morning cartoon looking back in 2021 is insane. I think recapturing this on screen should be a bigger importance

While I favoured Batman TAS. Not sure Batman TAS even cover this much.

Things Only Adults Notice In X-Men: The Animated Series

Inclusive from the begin ning | 0:00​
    Powerful Women: 1.05
    Gender switching 1.12
    Mutant politics and Xenophobia | 1:20​
    The birds, the bees, and the mutants | 2:23​
    Rape, Female Sexuality and Flirtation : 3.17
    Slavery, bigotry, Friends of Humanity and imprisonment | 3:41​
    Hatred personified | 4:38​
    Mangeto's Holocaust Past : 3.14
    The Legacy Virus and AIDS stigmatization | 5:26​
    A beastly intellectual | 6:37​
    Coping with loss | 7:54​
    Educational and scientific content such as Dawism: 7.55
    Death and Grief: 8.27
    Mutated melodrama such as illegal marriage from secret priest and secret marriages | 9:05​
    Kids are not Stupid: 10:16
    Mutants of faith | 10:23​
    Violence is omnipresent | 11:45​

One of the main reasons the 90s cartoon succeeded with putting so much was because it had loose links to other marvel cartoons at that time. MCU should follow the same route.

I also think this type of stories should be MCU focus with X-Men, because at this point, introducing stuff and characters to the MCU and connecting them has already lost most of the hype since this is what we already expect.It didn't even take long with the Quicksilver stuff going on in Wandavision.

Additionally Spiderman and Black Panther's Introduction in Civil War is as good as it is ever going to get. you cannot recapture that hype anymore. it has become a tired formula that MCU now wants to try and top with Multiverse MCU Spiderman 3. which is just a
    re-introduction of characters we already know. I don't care how much people adore Tobey Maguire or the niche fanbase of Andrew Garfield who wants to see them get introduced to the MCU , but they have already had their moments.

MCU just needs to move on to other things, introducing mutants in the MCU with the connection formula and spreading them across other series will likely frustrate many fans who never saw xmen as a series in dire need of other marvel IPs to set up or introducing their own stories.

X-Men is their once chance to have a nice clean reboot with more compelling realistic story telling and stand alone films, after the Infinity wars saga that spanned so many movies. anything else is only more of the same.
    Last edited by Castle; 02-22-2021 at 03:46 AM.

BANNED

Very little of that made sense or was even true

Ultimate Member

They could easily just be confused with Inhumans or the like and then mutants be "outed" when Magneto or someone would attack a group of world leaders and set everybody straight that mutants and Inhumans are different, then when the governments need someone to stop him they're introduced to Xavier and off we go, Captain America could easily be shown to have worked with Logan back in the 40's but just thought him long dead and then be surprised to find him alive and well and all of that...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel Runner View Post
    Very little of that made sense or was even true
    what part was not true. also what I said was pretty sensible and reasonable?

I roughly remember how Hawkeye, Black Panther, Spiderman were all introduced even Nick Fury at the end of the first post credit scene in Iron Man. thing is, we already know how it is done, just go a new way and do a stand alone to establish the concept of mutants first before trying to connecting it to the rest of the MCU. That is a fresher approach, especially when xmen has such a rich lore.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    They could easily just be confused with Inhumans or the like and then mutants be "outed" when Magneto or someone would attack a group of world leaders and set everybody straight that mutants and Inhumans are different, then when the governments need someone to stop him they're introduced to Xavier and off we go, Captain America could easily be shown to have worked with Logan back in the 40's but just thought him long dead and then be surprised to find him alive and well and all of that...
    Chris Evan is retired from the role. We heard of rumours he is coming back but I cannot see this past some alternate captain America that has no memories of the events of before.

Honestly given the circumstances because I am sure money will not be an issue for disney to keep giving this actors, Endgame closed the door neatly for Captain America and Tony Stark, letting them come back just takes away from their legacy, it's the same feeling I have with Hugh Jackman or Patrick Stewart.
    Last edited by Castle; 02-22-2021 at 09:33 AM.

Ultimate Member

Well they could just reboot the entire X-movies and recast Xavier and Logan and such...

Well the notion of sanctioned versus unsanctioned heroes has already been covered in Civil War, and we know from the Spider-Man films that society at large was aware that Captain America was one of those who was unsanctioned. So I think its pretty much already set up that mutants could be on the outs with society, at least as unsanctioned supers.

Right now, we know next to nothing about the post-Endgame universe, how heroes will be treated and if the government will again step in to ty and control them. Cap's gone, Tony's gone, Black Widow is gone. Hulk is neutral. Thor is offworld for the foreseeable future. Dr. Strange is way under the radar. So its basically a blank slate for the X-Men.

Just don't make Wolverine an Avenger and I will be ok with things.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Considering one would want to have grown, adult X-Men walking around in the present day MCU and preserve the idea that it's something in your genes that develop in one's adolescence, (to me, that's a very important part of what being a "mutant" means - they're not inhumans, or the Hulk, etc who "received" or "unlocked" powers through extraordinary means) it would mean they've been around this whole time, which I think is doable:
    -- If Inhumans and the Netflix Defenders can walk around the MCU without impacting the movies, then it's possible mutants have been around - just not in big numbers the way they are not in comics and not organized into groups.
    -- Storm could've been worshipped as a goddess a remote community in Africa, but most people think it's a legend. Nightcrawler could've been in a circus where people think he's a freak or someone in a costume, Wolverine could've been a covert agent in Canada, etc.
    -- The introduction of mutants in the MCU could be the introduction of the term, not of their existence. Like most things, by the time the public gets wind of something and have a commonly known term for it, it's been around for years. And most mutants don't have world-shattering powers, so it's not crazy to think that they've been around all over the world not making big waves and not playing superhero.
    -- Prof X's school could have been around (with only a dozen students the most) and where only the locals know of it and think it's a bit weird, but don't know anything else. (like how it was in the comics back in the day) It could be someone like Magneto who explodes on the scene, declares himself an enemy to humanity and gives the public the word "mutant" which provides a term on which to focus their fears and prejudices.* After the previous alien attacks, all that anxiety would become focused on the idea of a homegrown threat, one that might already exist in our homes. This would spur Prof X to dress up some of his students as "superheroes" to try to dispel the fear and give them more of a positive public face.

*Btw, I also don't think Magneto needs to be a WWII survivor - it was a retcon in the first place and one could say he experienced any number of other genocides that have taken place and take place in our world all the time. It could actually be a more powerful message to remind people that we haven't learned from the atrocities of WWII - that they still do happen and can happen again, which is Magneto's whole point.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 02-22-2021 at 11:43 AM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    I thought it has already been established that the stones they gathered in Endgame came from alternate pasts not the main universe. So when Steve took them all back he took them to their own realitys he just went back to the past of one of them to live and get his happy ending with Peggy. That is why the main MCU timeline was not altered by him staying in the past. He stayed there until Peggy's death and then came back to the main reality to give the shield to Sam.