Default Which characters can DC use at anytime?

Some characters can't be used without their creators approval, and other characters can't be used, cause a writer or artist has a lock in them somehow. So my question is, which DC characters can they use at anytime, with no issues?
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Some characters can't be used without their creators approval, and other characters can't be used, cause a writer or artist has a lock in them somehow. So my question is, which DC characters can they use at anytime, with no issues?
    You'd have a quicker and shorter answer on whitch characters can't DC use at free will.
    The only one I can think of right now is Gen13.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    You'd have a quicker and shorter answer on whitch characters can't DC use at free will.
    Agree.

DC can't use Carrie Kelley outside of Millerverse. That's why she suddenly disappeared after showing up in New 52 Batman and Robin.

Early New 52, Snyder was forbidden from using Cassandra Cain by Didio. Took them 3-4 years before she can make her New 52 debut.

My whole point is if DC can use a character anytime they want, and they knkw the character or team has enough fans to sustain a book then why are they sitting on them for aslong as they do
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Because we are in the cinematic age of superheroes now and it was only relatively recently they realized that any character could become a hugely profitable franchise even if they didn't sell well as comics.

Some stuff that comes to my mind:

-Wonder Woman couldn't guest star in shows. She had to be a main character. This is what prevented her from appearing in Batman Beyond's JL episode so they substituted Big Barda instead. This was later fixed so she could appear in Batman: Brave and the Bold.

-Donna Troy had similar licensing problems which prevented her from appearing in the 2003 Teen Titans show. This was fixed eventually so she could appear in DC Superhero Girls, Super Best Friends and later Young Justice. Same goes for Wonder Girl.

-The rights issues between DC and Tony Isabella prevented Black Lightning is what lead to Hannah Barbera to create Black Vulcan. They couldn't BL in Static Shock either so they created Soul Power instead.

-Kurt Busiek recently noted in a separate thread that Aquaman's creators get paid as long as Arthur shows up with blonde hair and orange shirt.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    My whole point is if DC can use a character anytime they want, and they knkw the character or team has enough fans to sustain a book then why are they sitting on them for aslong as they do
    Which characters? Answers may be different.

For example in Cassandra Cain's case, her book did sell well, but someone don't like her, so after the series done, they make her a villain. That got rectified, and after that, I don't know what happened, until the reboot happened and Didio forbids her use in New 52 initially. Then they remake her, and after that, I don't know what happened, but now Batman and Outsiders where she stars in don't sell well, and since it's been so long since she had a title, they doubt her current sales if she's given a solo.

So in her case is because someone in charge doesn't want her.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Agree.

DC can't use Carrie Kelley outside of Millerverse. That's why she suddenly disappeared after showing up in New 52 Batman and Robin.

Early New 52, Snyder was forbidden from using Cassandra Cain by Didio. Took them 3-4 years before she can make her New 52 debut.
    Jack Knight as well. Robinson retains the creative rights to Jack which is why we haven’t seen him since his story concluded. Not sure how he was able to get DC to agree to that but glad he did.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Kurt Busiek recently noted in a separate thread that Aquaman's creators get paid as long as Arthur shows up with blonde hair and orange shirt.
    Not quite.

I said that back when I started writing the book, Paul Norris got paid as long as Aquaman is in green and orange. I think blond hair may have been part of it too.

I have no idea if Mort Weisinger ever got a character royalty on Aquaman, because he was on staff when he wrote that first story and so it may have been considered part of his staff duties. Also, he's been dead since 1978, so he wasn't participating in 2006.

Norris died in 2007, a few weeks after SWORD OF ATLANTIS ended.

I have no idea if the payments that he got while he was alive went on to go to his kids. Sometimes that's part of the deal, sometimes it's not.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The rights issues between DC and Tony Isabella prevented Black Lightning is what lead to Hannah Barbera to create Black Vulcan.
    Oh, and:

The rights issues didn't prevent Black Lightning from being used. Someone simply didn't want to pay Tony.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Spectacular Member

doesn't neil gaiman have some say in how characters that first appeared in sandman are used?

If I'm remembering correctly, these are all series that were set in the DCU but can't be referenced anymore due to creator ownership (and in fact, some of these have appeared elsewhere/at other publishers):

Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt
    The Monolith
    Young Heroes in Love
    Sovereign 7

That's all I've got off the top of my head. Anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    If I'm remembering correctly, these are all series that were set in the DCU but can't be referenced anymore due to creator ownership (and in fact, some of these have appeared elsewhere/at other publishers):

Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt
    The Monolith
    Young Heroes in Love
    Sovereign 7

That's all I've got off the top of my head. Anything else?
    I believe Bloodhound was acquired by Dan Jolley and taken to Dark Horse.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I believe Bloodhound was acquired by Dan Jolley and taken to Dark Horse.
    That's right! Totally forgot about that.