Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Inconsistent visuals: Is it a problem for Wonder Woman characters?

Most comic book characters go through changes over the years, but the really memorable ones have a particular elements that are consistent across all designs. I feel that isn’t the case with a lot of Wonderwoman characters and it adds to a sense of inconstancy in general with a lot of them. It’s hard to say that a character is iconic( a very visual term) when their appearance differs wildly from depiction to depiction.

Which Wonder characters do you think suffer most from this?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I guess Circe, since she can have brown hair, red hair, purple hair, short, long, in braids, green tunic, green tights, black tights, civilian clothes.

The other (popular) ones have a pretty consistent design, aside from one or two costumes like 90s bondage and 70s fashion designer Diana. Even the one with pants and that stupid wrist blade, it's still recognizably Diana thanks to the tiara, lasso and stars. Donna has red and black costume but the star motif is signature Donna, Artemis has her long bright orange pony tail.

Ares always have Greek horse hair helm or horned helm or both, Cheetah is Cheetah, long hair or not.

Yeah I agree that Circe is the one who has the most inconsistent character design. Her most noticeable feature was her purple hair but even in animation that gets switched around. That's the only Wonder Woman character I can think of who's design could confuse even comic book readers if you like to jump around comic runs, like I do.

Etta has changed ethnicity's, but she's been African American for 10 years now, so I could only see that confusing people who are just fans of the movie and have never read a recent Wonder Woman comic.

Cheetah has a lot of designs but her most iconic element, yellow cat-lady with spots, is consistent enough to be recognized anywhere. Weather she's a woman in a cat costume, a were-cheetah with long hair or just fur, she's recognizable. DC only has 2 cat ladies, Cheetah and Catwoman, both are iconic and look nothing alike so there's not real competition for who's who.

In fact, Catwoman has had even more changes than Cheetah throughout the years and remains recognizable, from hair color and length to ethnicity to costume. It could be because she hardly ever leaves Gotham City, so if you see a lady in a purple or black cat costume in a city, it's Catwoman.

Every other character has stayed very consistent throughout their history weather it's live action movies, animation, comics and video games.

Gigantia has stayed very consistent throughout the years, red-haired giant woman, wears yellow.

Ares, covered in blue armor, horned helmet.

Dr. Psycho, small man with buggy eyes.

Silver Swan, winged woman with sonic scream.

Dr. Poison, Green jumpsuit.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 02-21-2021 at 11:56 AM.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

I agree.
    Joker, Catwoman, and say, Penguin are all usually depicted in the same way (visually, I mean).
    Ares' and Cheetah's looks are somewhat consistent, but Circe's is not. I wish that, if they feel they have to change her looks all the time, they at least kept the purple hair and green/gold color scheme in her attire.
    Iconic brands become iconic through repetitition, consistency and familiarity.
    Last edited by FutureWonder; 02-21-2021 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Yeah I agree that Circe is the one who has the most inconsistent character design. Her most noticeable feature was her purple hair but even in animation that gets switched around. That's the only Wonder Woman character I can think of who's design could confuse even comic book readers if you like to jump around comic runs, like I do.

Etta has changed ethnicity's, but she's been African American for 10 years now, so I could only see that confusing people who are just fans of the movie and have never read a recent Wonder Woman comic.

Cheetah has a lot of designs but her most iconic element, yellow cat-lady with spots, is consistent enough to be recognized anywhere. Weather she's a woman in a cat costume, a were-cheetah with long hair or just fur, she's recognizable. DC only has 2 cat ladies, Cheetah and Catwoman, both are iconic and look nothing alike so there's not real competition for who's who.

In fact, Catwoman has had even more changes than Cheetah throughout the years and remains recognizable, from hair color and length to ethnicity to costume. It could be because she hardly ever leaves Gotham City, so if you see a lady in a purple or black cat costume in a city, it's Catwoman.

Every other character has stayed very consistent throughout their history weather it's live action movies, animation, comics and video games.

Gigantia has stayed very consistent throughout the years, red-haired giant woman, wears yellow.

Ares, covered in blue armor, horned helmet.

Dr. Psycho, small man with buggy eyes.

Silver Swan, winged woman with sonic scream.

Dr. Poison, Green jumpsuit.
    Well, Giganta has changed some. She actually began as a long-haired Blonde wearing the leopard outfit! Transformed from an Ape into a Woman.

Then she changed to long red hair woman wearing the leopard outfit. This is the longest look and the one fans know the best.

But then later she changed to a short haired red head wearing purple and yellow suit, smarter and with a different origin. Looked nothing like the "original" Giganta.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

I think that depends on how prominent each character is. Like Etta Candy is supposed to be Diana's best friend but I don't think there has been enough focus on their relationship outside of the comics (and even the comics themselves are inconsistent about this) for a large number of people to be confused by the change.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Which Wonder characters do you think suffer most from this?
    I would say Hippolyta. Because her hair keeps switching from blonde to black.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Well, Giganta has changed some. She actually began as a long-haired Blonde wearing the leopard outfit! Transformed from an Ape into a Woman.

Then she changed to long red hair woman wearing the leopard outfit. This is the longest look and the one fans know the best.

But then later she changed to a short haired red head wearing purple and yellow suit, smarter and with a different origin. Looked nothing like the "original" Giganta.
    Her leopard outfit is enough for most people to recognize her, since she had that in her costume for so long and still does in some recent tv shows. She's also still tall and muscular in her first appearance.

Idk, I kind of like Circe constantly changing her appearance. Only thing I'd keep consistent would be the purple hair.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Her leopard outfit is enough for most people to recognize her, since she had that in her costume for so long and still does in some recent tv shows. She's also still tall and muscular in her first appearance.
    Right, as I said, the leopard outfit with the long red hair is her longest known look, and the one fans know best. But there was a time for years where she appeared in a non-leopard yellow/purple costume with short red blunt hair and a more intelligent outlook. Had no resemblance to the Giganta of the past.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Ares and Circe are the primary culprits of this. I personally prefer the purple haired Perez version of Circe. I feel it’s the closest she got to an iconic look.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I think the problem goes beyond her supporting cast not having iconic looks. Her supporting cast simply isnt known because they arent used on a consistent basis and part of big stories.

But of course having a consistent image would be great. Espeically when it comes to Ares and Circe, there so many ways to keep them as a constant thorn on Dianas side and its shame Diana has had very inconsistent creative teams that have more or less drove her into the ground.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I agree in a few different ways:

1.) Changing Cheetah's identity 4 times over the years has not helped her IMO. She needs to have a solidified identity as in most DC Comics' readers knowing what her real name is and how she became the Cheetah.

2.) Characters like Circe, Etta Candy(they could keep the red hair regardless of her race), Giganta, and Eris/Strife have had their appearances dramatically altered over the years which doesn't help to make them memorable.

3.) The third part of my complaint seems to stem from artistic laziness. Sometimes Diana is drawn(all in present day Main Earth) with stars on her skirt and tiara. Other times he is not. Sometimes she is shown with gold bicep bracelets. Other times they are nowhere to be seen.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post

2.) Characters like Circe, Etta Candy(they could keep the red hair regardless of her race)
    Preach!
    I absolutely loved when they racebent Etta, but I always wondered why they did not keep her hair read as an homage to the original. Black women rocking red hair is not unusual at all.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    Preach!
    I absolutely loved when they racebent Etta, but I always wondered why they did not keep her hair read as an homage to the original. Black women rocking red hair is not unusual at all.
    I feel like a lot of artists just simply dont get that point about black women (or some men). That they rock many different styles, colors, etc...artists are bent on like 1 of two looks.