Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    They were clearly close, though. Moira adopted her and arranged for her to be with other mutants like herself so that she could come to terms with her mutation. Rahne returned to Muir Island to recover from the trauma of being resurrected, and she joined the cast of Excalibur when she learned that Moira had the legacy virus, never really leaving her side until Moira's supposed death.
    Of course. I dont deny that they were close; just that it never made sense. Claremont presented them as mother and daughter in their first issue even though they had only been acquainted a few short weeks. It would have worked better had it been years but really there was no time for an actual relationship to develop, especially since Moira got rid of her rather quickly

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Of course. I dont deny that they were close; just that it never made sense. Claremont presented them as mother and daughter in their first issue even though they had only been acquainted a few short weeks. It would have worked better had it been years but really there was no time for an actual relationship to develop, especially since Moira got rid of her rather quickly
    She recognized Rahne immediately. If the town was small enough, Moira would have known Rahne already, and for some time. Claremont developed their relationship plenty given the limited space he had, all things considered.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Claremont had Storm meet Forge for the first time, they "fall madly in love with each other", and break up...all in one night.

What logically should take months and years to develop takes a few hours.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    She recognized Rahne immediately. If the town was small enough, Moira would have known Rahne already, and for some time. Claremont developed their relationship plenty given the limited space he had, all things considered.
    She recognized her, but she didnt raise her. I just went to the GN and it was only a week between that and her going to the US to drop her off at the Xavier school. A week is not enough time for them to have developed this mother/daughter relationship that he was selling. Im just saying for me, it felt very inorganic, especially considering how old Rahne was (14)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Maybe it is meant to be a clue that something is very wrong.
    Yes.

I spent months thinking, hoping, this was the case. Now I'm not so sure, I'm worried it's just really bad or very lazy writing.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    She recognized her, but she didnt raise her. I just went to the GN and it was only a week between that and her going to the US to drop her off at the Xavier school. A week is not enough time for them to have developed this mother/daughter relationship that he was selling. Im just saying for me, it felt very inorganic, especially considering how old Rahne was (14)
    That's a great point, and considering the general level of Moira's current creepiness, if Hickman picked up on that deliberately (which I think would have been very difficult), it's almost genius.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Claremont had Storm meet Forge for the first time, they "fall madly in love with each other", and break up...all in one night.

What logically should take months and years to develop takes a few hours.
    To be fair, that's essentially the plot of Titanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    That's a great point, and considering the general level of Moira's current creepiness, if Hickman picked up on that deliberately (which I think would have been very difficult), it's almost genius.
    Its too bad her powers arent more impressive bc it would definitely fit for Moira to take an interest in her given the context of her past lives. I would love it if Rahne is alot more important than we think she is and Moira was using her for something thats yet to be revealed

Might also not be a case of oversight but a legitimate story choice to keep the flow. The way it's presented on panel is "Why is Proteus here" followed by the Moira reveal. If the question is "Why are Proteus and Rahne here" the answer is way more immediately apparent and would give away the reveal. And between Proteus and Rahne, Proteus is a good choice because, as a member of the Five, him not being on Krakoa at any given moment is eyebrow-raising in a way that Rahne isn't.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Don't forget Moira's other kids, Callum, Dean and Abigail.
    I made the same point earlier.

Given the amount of people who have come and gone in Moira's lives, the idea that she'd be especially concerned up about any of these current folks is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    Might also not be a case of oversight but a legitimate story choice to keep the flow. The way it's presented on panel is "Why is Proteus here" followed by the Moira reveal. If the question is "Why are Proteus and Rahne here" the answer is way more immediately apparent and would give away the reveal. And between Proteus and Rahne, Proteus is a good choice because, as a member of the Five, him not being on Krakoa at any given moment is eyebrow-raising in a way that Rahne isn't.
    Well...exactatiously.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Totally agree. It’s not like this was the big emotional Moira reveal or confrontation we’ve all been waiting for. It was a small moment where Rahne probably wouldn’t have even gotten to speak.
    I get what you guys are saying but my concern is this... Someday, many years from now, Moira's existence will be revealed, and there are a couple of people who are going to be hurt and mad they were not informed earlier. Rahne is one of them. Sean is another. I want the emotional payoff. I don't want her relationship with Moira forgotten. Doug Ramsey died protecting Rahne. Then, he was resurrected and nobody told Rahne - at least not on-panel. This was back when death and resurrection were a big deal. We should have been shown the reunion. This kind of stuff matters - at least to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    I get what you guys are saying but my concern is this... Someday, many years from now, Moira's existence will be revealed, and there are a couple of people who are going to be hurt and mad they were not informed earlier. Rahne is one of them. Sean is another. I want the emotional payoff. I don't want her relationship with Moira forgotten. Doug Ramsey died protecting Rahne. Then, he was resurrected and nobody told Rahne - at least not on-panel. This was back when death and resurrection were a big deal. We should have been shown the reunion. This kind of stuff matters - at least to me.
    Absolutely!
    And hopefully that is a bridge we'll get to cross if and when the writer deems the time is right or even if it's necessary...it's virtuous to engender patience.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    That is pretty much always what happens...they use characters for whatever reason but then ignore their histories...

As for Rahne's and Moira's relationship...these clearly define it as mother and daughter...

Fantastic Member

In Excalibur Vol 1. Rahne is willing to die with Moira with Legacy Virus.