Extraordinary Member

Default Taro Sakamoto vs Cassandra Cain

Two former killers.

One was the top of their field, the other was only in training.

Both left the game, one for love, the other for morals.

Which is these too will come out on top?

This will be a non-bloodlusted battle. Both are motivated to do their best, but they're no-kill rules are still in affect.

Bonus: They sit and talk

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I just started reading Sakamoto Days, thanks to hearing about it on Tumblr, soooo...I'll get back to you.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I've only half-read Sakamoto days but...

He's at least as fast as Cassie, his bullet time stuff is pretty bananas and very effortless on his part, but he's much stronger and way more durable.

He has body reading, not as a high level as Cassie's but he's got it.

I feel like she's got her work cut out for her here. I don't think we've seen how Sakamoto deals with pressure points so that should still be an edge. He really only needs to clip her to cripple her.

Yeah, I'm only finishing up the first couple of chapters and I'm not liking Cass's odds. Edit: read the first one.

At minimum the dude is as fast as Cass, considering he's spitting cough-drops to intercept bullets and casually blitzing large groups of people. He outruns speeding busses by roof-hopping, Ranma-style. He stops speeding busses, his only tool being a street-sign he braces against the ground. He cuts off heads with a knife. He gets kicked about 50' through the air, impacting a building with enough force to make an explosion of debris, and is effectively unharmed (this happens at least twice - clearly he would have flown a lot farther than the 50' or so he does, from the explosion at the end of the flight). He hits people with full, restaurant-sized refrigerators. In the space of time a guy starts to swing a weapon and it travels about...what, a couple of inches, he takes e pen out of that guy's pocket and stabs him in the chest with it, dropping him. Then, as Nik says, he has some degree of Body-reading - nothing to say it's as good as Cass's, but enough to at least be able to argue that he'd have some ability to at least blunt its effect.

Cass loses this. We can argue the pressure points, but against someone as fast as her or faster, seemingly as skilled as she is, her needing to land pressure points on him to do anything while he just needs to hit her - anywhere - seems like an uphill battle. I mean, the first time he clips her isn't going to put her down, but it'll impair her, which means there'll be another one, and another one, and...pretty soon he lands something clean, and she's done.

I would be hesitant to give Cass more than 1/10, IF that. And I suspect he'll continue to get better feats.

...little miffed that they show someone doing martial arts that demonstratively are NOT Taiji and claim it to be Taiji, mind. ^_^
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 02-22-2021 at 11:41 AM.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

sakamoto is too much of a beast for cass and slimmed down sakamoto is even stronger.

sharp did a better job of it than i do.

I’d say skinny Sakamoto is as fast or faster than Cass, but not Fat Sakamoto.
    Intercepting a bullet from the range he did is typically Daredevil stuff. That Sakamoto used a cough drop is more a testament to his insane skill and accuracy in an almost Marvel bullseye like style more than speed.

Don’t really see why pressure points wouldn’t work either.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel-Studios Rep View Post
    I’d say skinny Sakamoto is as fast or faster than Cass, but not Fat Sakamoto.
    Intercepting a bullet from the range he did is typically Daredevil stuff. That Sakamoto used a cough drop is more a testament to his insane skill and accuracy in an almost Marvel bullseye like style more than speed.

Don’t really see why pressure points wouldn’t work either.
    Pressure points might work, given Sakamoto isn't exactly presented as bullet/blade-proof. But when the other fighter is in the same range of speed, same range of skill, and has a body-reading ability that at least somewhat nulls Cass's body-reading, her actually landing pressure point hits on that person is an uphill battle.

Whereas Sakamoto can land hits on Cass anywhere he wants to do damage (lots of damage). And she's going to have a hell of a time blocking attacks with that kind of force behind them, cutting down her defensive options.
    Why are we here?