Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Most Under Used Character in the Finale of Endgame?

To me, it's Hulk. He was one of the founding Avengers, and Drax had a more visible impact on the final battle than Hulk.

Honorable mention goes to Doctor Strange, who apparently couldn't find any other mage to make a water spout.

Who's your vote?

(Note this doesn't have to be a hero)

Extraordinary Member

Seeing as Hulk was still fighting, even after using the gauntlet to restore everybody.....something Thanos couldn’t even do after he snapped in Infinity War......I’m surprised Hulk lasted in the final battle as long as he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Seeing as Hulk was still fighting, even after using the gauntlet to restore everybody.....something Thanos couldn’t even do after he snapped in Infinity War......I’m surprised Hulk lasted in the final battle as long as he did.
    To be fair, Thanos also had a huge axe shoved into his chest at the end of Infinity War.

as far as the topic, I'd say Dr. Strange was the most underused.

Fantastic Member

Hulk wasn’t used exceptionally well in Endgame. The main ongoing dilemma over Banner’s struggle to control and coexist with the Hulk was resolved offscreen in a way that basically dismissed it. He didn’t really do anything in the final battle despite being one of the MCU’s main powerhouses, and his previous beating by Thanos wasn’t even acknowledged. But at least he snapped everyone back before the finale which is something.

I was surprised by the complete absence of Nick Fury or any of the SHIELD-associated characters. The whole point of the finale was that EVERYONE was jumping into the fight, all the way down to no-name Asgardian warriors and Ravager pirates. It made no sense for Nick Fury to be absent when he’s one of the MCU’s longest recurring characters and a notable connection between many of the movies. Infinity War even ended on Fury, with the implication that his signal to Captain Marvel would save everyone in the next movie. The directors justified Fury’s absence by saying that they couldn’t think of anything for him to contribute, and saying that he would’ve looked silly waving around a pistol. That reasoning falls flat for me considering that they saw fit to include random Wakandan foot soldiers in the fight.

But my #1 pick for most poorly used or misused character in the finale has to go to Black Widow. The main character and founding Avenger who didn’t even survive long enough to show up in the final act. She led the team for years according to that same movie but they killed her off for Hawkeye, a much less important character within the MCU who is mostly known just by association to her.

According to the Russos, the decision to kill her off was made without prior planning and it shows. Dying as a sacrifice for the same plot device as Gamora, with no happy resolution to her character’s inner conflict, was not at all where her multi-movie story arc was leading. It wasn’t necessary for the story of Endgame either.

Adding insult to injury was the fact that the final battle was supposed to be a celebration of the MCU as a whole with practically everyone jumping into the fight. The founding female Avenger was noticeably absent though, and the all-female (supporting) character team up moment, something that was criticized as “pandering” by women and feminists themselves, did not make up for it. Killing Widow off and denying her any participation in the finale was no way to celebrate her character, even though the movie was presented as such complete with end credits signatures from the founding Avengers cast.

It was an absolutely perplexing creative decision considering that Widow is played by one of the MCU’s most famous stars, someone whose long-delayed solo movie was supposed to kick off Phase IV after the departures of Captain America and Iron Man. It was supposed to be her character’s time, but turns out it will never be her time. It says something that her solo movie, now probably reduced to a standalone side interquel, is being marketed as a proper resolution to her character that we never got in the main films

Wanda/ Scarlet Witch, Captain Marvel, and Dr. Strange.

Wanda and Captain Marvel could have killed Thanos and Tony wouldn't have died.

Honorable mention goes to Hulk but they totally nerfed him in Infinity War and Endgame.

Howard the Duck.

And apparently there was no strategy at all made before the big portal array. All of them just showed up and ran at the enemy. Absolutely zero tactics, not even a "you guys hit them from the right, you from the left!"
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Hulk for me. Still holding out hope we get Savage hulk back. Loved that Raganrok finally got him talking. But then they jumped straight to Professor Hulk from there. Would have preferred to see him progress. Planet Hulk for me is the perfect iteration of Hulk. Hes smart but not Banner smart. He can talk but he still sounds like hulk and doesn't talk much. Wish we coulda got that badass Hulk. Still holding out hope for the future. He goes Savage again and that added power heals his arm. Ruffalo don't look like he's in a hurry to step away. Maybe with multiverse and time shenanigans coming in. We can get Ruffalo to play Miestro. Either another time line or a dark future they prevent.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Howard the Duck.

And apparently there was no strategy at all made before the big portal array. All of them just showed up and ran at the enemy. Absolutely zero tactics, not even a "you guys hit them from the right, you from the left!"
    They had time to coordinate that the first portal would open on Cap's left though, so Falcon could deliver his cool line. All this while Dr Strange was still on an alien world!

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Hulk for me. Still holding out hope we get Savage hulk back. Loved that Raganrok finally got him talking. But then they jumped straight to Professor Hulk from there. Would have preferred to see him progress. Planet Hulk for me is the perfect iteration of Hulk. Hes smart but not Banner smart. He can talk but he still sounds like hulk and doesn't talk much. Wish we coulda got that badass Hulk. Still holding out hope for the future. He goes Savage again and that added power heals his arm. Ruffalo don't look like he's in a hurry to step away. Maybe with multiverse and time shenanigans coming in. We can get Ruffalo to play Miestro. Either another time line or a dark future they prevent.
    I wish Hulk would have gotten some of his savage levels back in Endgame. At least had a brief rematch with Thanos (maybe not beat Thanos but at least put up a decent fight with him). The brief fight we got at the start of infinity war wasn't enough. Also the arch they gave Hulk in Infinity War made it seem like he was scared of Thanos which bugged me.
    Last edited by Iron_Legion87; 02-23-2021 at 07:20 AM.

War Machine is up there to me. He flies in for the final battle after being saved by Scott, sure, but the next time we see him after the initial charge is Tony's death scene.

For that matter, I *think* all he really did in the film fight-wise was to knock out Peter Quill. I was looking forward to more interaction between him and Nebula, the same way Ant-Man had with Cap and Tony, or Rocket with Thor. Apparently Rhodey's only good for quips or asking the audience's questions to the team's big brains.

Also, Okoye had about 20 seconds of fight time between *both* movies. And that includes taking out Corvus Glaive by herself.

And yeah, most everything that needed to be said about Hulk in this thread has already been posted. But I would add that for myself, I'm less bothered by it since Banner played a pretty large role everywhere else, since he was instrumental in both the time travel story and for getting the Time Stone.
    Last edited by Cyke; 02-23-2021 at 09:39 AM.

Valkyrie .
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Hulk. Seems as though the Russo brothers have very little interest in doing action sequences involving Hulk - he was absent entirely for Civil, War, had a brief fight with Thanos at the beginning of infinity war and that's basically it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    They had time to coordinate that the first portal would open on Cap's left though, so Falcon could deliver his cool line. All this while Dr Strange was still on an alien world!
    True. I bet that was Falcon's
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

i just watched it the other day, i remember thinking there was probably some flying character that could have delivered the pym particles better than spiderman

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Stream View Post
    i just watched it the other day, i remember thinking there was probably some flying character that could have delivered the pym particles better than spiderman
    It was the Gauntlet and there was a better option, which is why Captain Marvel took it.