Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I think virtually every stand up comic, regardless of their own politics, would disagree with ya there. Set-up, timing, punchline, even averting tropes (which means you need to be aware of those tropes, like anti-humor) all come from a structure of some sort. Even a simple pie to the face is cause-reaction.

But then a comic would also have to take a good, long look at oneself very deeply if their "humor" is all about kicking the marginalized while they're *already* down. As if society doesn't do that already -- that's just called bullying then.
    I'm starting to think that the not punching down rule was started by people who are absolutely terrified that they might laugh at something that goes against their commonly held beliefs so all laughter has to be "approved laughter". It reminds me of something Tina Fey said about "Clapter" "It means they approve but didn’t really like it that much."

Comedy, like a fight between two bums must be free to punch in ALL directions.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    I find both sites quite humorous. Then again I hate team red & team blue, so between the two they provide quite a bit to laugh at.
    I never even heard of that site until someone showed me that joke.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I'm starting to think that the not punching down rule was started by people who are absolutely terrified that they might laugh at something that goes against their commonly held beliefs so all laughter has to be "approved laughter". It reminds me of something Tina Fey said about "Clapter" "It means they approve but didn’t really like it that much."

Punching down is little more than kicking a person while they're down, and society does that enough, thanks.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

I'm starting to think that the not punching down rule was started by people who are absolutely terrified that they might laugh at something that goes against their commonly held beliefs

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

i agree -if- both parties are willing participants but also there should be a mercy rule in place for people that legitimately cant handle the spice

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Yeah. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but they just have to remember the best rule of comedy: punch up, not down.
    They punch down a lot. Many of their articles are just digs at the trans community ("X Identifies as Y" jokes)