Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
I'm looking forward to the film, my only concern is that the #SnyderCut movement might be more interesting than the final project itself (even if its good).

The funny thing with Zack Snyder is that people think he takes things to seriously, so when he puts out a comedic image of Joker as Jesus Christ as a joke they think he's being serious. He strikes me as a guy who is on Twitter a lot.
Snyder's an interesting figure online because he's largely sequestered himself to his Vero account where he only interacts with his adoring fans while virtually everything he posts is picked up by the seemingly endless number of clickbait geek sites as "news" in increasingly desperate attempts to generate faux controversy.

I must admit that I initially had a pretty dim view of Snyder after Man of Steel and the subsequent divisive reaction it garnered. I would read all the various out of context quotes from him like how he wanted to make movies about Batman getting raped in prison and took them as serious statements by the guy. It wasn't until I started re-watching Snyder's Superman stuff with my students in tandem with Donner's brighter, more comedic take that I began to soften on what he was trying to accomplish. While I think Snyder made the mistake of taking for granted audiences perception of Superman as epitomized by Donner before trying to deconstruct it, I came around to respecting his work far more than I originally had, even if I disagreed with a lot of the choices he made.

The perception of Snyder as a very self-serious filmmaker is a little understandable given the tone of his movies do seem overtly pretentious, but there's also an element of humor that's there that gets missed. It wasn't until I actually watched and listened to the guy's commentaries of MoS and BvS that I understood that while this guy absolutely views his films as meticulously crafted pieces of art, he's also fully aware of how ridiculous he's being, like with the "Space Dildos" that the Phantom Zone criminals are encased in.

I understand why people who hate Snyder don't really want to give him the benefit of the doubt. Why would they? It's much easier to pigeonhole him as some intellectually stunted man-child blissfully unaware of how ridiculous his films are. Nuance is hard.