Page 15 of 41 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    None of Snyder's films are perfect, and Watchmen is no exception. It's a mixed bag, just like MoS, BvS, and, presumably, his cut of JL. However, when he nails something, he absolutely knocks it out of the park. Like this sequence right here.

Yeah this was awesome! The whole chapter and his Rorschach delivered too!

I think dialogue is his big failing. People just sound convoluted at times. I even don’t mind the tone. New Gods nitpick, everyone looks and acts like Kalibak. The New Gods even Darkseids pantheon are colorful. His whole Krypton aesthetic looked like Jodoroskys Metabarons, I liked that in the end.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

The reviews are starting to come in and it's pretty much what I expected. The general consensus thus far is that the film is indeed lighter and more hopeful than BvS, which is something that Snyder claimed immediately after the initial reaction to the overtly-dour and dark tone of Snyder's sequel and I'm sure the Geoff Johns on-set rewrites also helped.

Understandably, the full-on Snyder super-fans think the four hour film feels like 2 and half hours while those less enamored by Snyder's film think it's too long and feels like an assembly cut with finished VFX.

Everyone seems to agree that it's a better film than Whedon's theatrical cut. Reportedly, this version follows the same story beats, but the footage is almost completely new. The numbers I heard was that we've only seen about 15% of this before in the theatrical cut.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I gotta give credit where credit is due, but that music is straight sick.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Everyone seems to agree that it's a better film than Whedon's theatrical cut. Reportedly, this version follows the same story beats, but the footage is almost completely new. The numbers I heard was that we've only seen about 15% of this before in the theatrical cut.
    That's not much of an improvement for me.I pretty much couldn't stand Superman in theatrical cut.Honestly,That movie started my problems with superman and fakeness.The character doesn't feel genuine like the rest of the optmistic protagonists i have grown up with.The guy is just-i don't even know how to put it in words.The character feels like two-face.As i have said before,Superman makes me appreciate characters like goku,luffy...etc.The only superman that genuinely speaks to me now is the 1930's one.The rest feel like some bizzare addage from people who thought the character was less sophisticated as he was in the first place,in terms of core structure and narrative potential.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-14-2021 at 10:21 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I gotta give credit where credit is due, but that music is straight sick.
    Yeah, the music was the missing ingredient for me.

I also look forward to the deluge of fan-edits of this 4 hour film into shorter cuts that mix and match and play around with the pacing, like the Star Wars films have enjoyed for years. I didn't fully appreciate the prequels until I saw a fan cut that trimmed away the fat and bad ideas to get at what Lucas was trying to accomplish in a more effective streamlined manner.

This edit did an amazing job of combining and re-editing the Battle of Metropolis into something that works much better to me and manages to get across how desperate Clark's battle with Zod was by juxtaposing it against Bruce's more ground-level perspective.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I also look forward to the deluge of fan-edits of this 4 hour film into shorter cuts that mix and match and play around with the pacing, like the Star Wars films have enjoyed for years. I didn't fully appreciate the prequels until I saw a fan cut that trimmed away the fat and bad ideas to get at what Lucas was trying to accomplish in a more effective streamlined manner.

This edit did an amazing job of combining and re-editing the Battle of Metropolis into something that works much better to me and manages to get across how desperate Clark's battle with Zod was by juxtaposing it against Bruce's more ground-level perspective.
    What is this!?

This is pretty amazing, this is how imagine Waid's Birthright to be

The reviews are starting to come in and it's pretty much what I expected. The general consensus thus far is that the film is indeed lighter and more hopeful than BvS, which is something that Snyder claimed immediately after the initial reaction to the overtly-dour and dark tone of Snyder's sequel and I'm sure the Geoff Johns on-set rewrites also helped.

Understandably, the full-on Snyder super-fans think the four hour film feels like 2 and half hours while those less enamored by Snyder's film think it's too long and feels like an assembly cut with finished VFX.

Yeah, not surprising.

I'm going to try and approach it as neutral as possible. It will be difficult, but I'm gonna try.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Ah man, after watching MOS with commentary yesterday, I really wanted to see someone merge the two together. Thanks for posting.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Ah man, after watching MOS with commentary yesterday, I really wanted to see someone merge the two together. Thanks for posting.
    I mean,these edits have been around for a while dude.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I mean,these edits have been around for a while dude.
    Okay, but I only thought to seek it out after rewatching MOS. I might have even seen them before but it's been years.

This review from a non-comic book source has me pretty psyched: https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/z...ie-review-2021

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    What is this!?

This is pretty amazing, this is how imagine Waid's Birthright to be
    The great thing is Snyder, like Lucas, actively encourages fans to recut and reinterpret his films.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Okay, but I only thought to seek it out after rewatching MOS. I might have even seen them before but it's been years.
    Trust me, you are under no geek obligation to have been aware of these fan edits before now We've all been a little preoccupied with more important matters the last few years...

While there are dozens of these online, most aren't very good. In terms of combining the Battle of Metropolis sequences, this is the most effective, I think.

There's another one that tries to "fix" the infamous Martha scene but somehow makes it even more overwrought and dumb when that scene would work better with less dialogue and flashbacks, not more

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Variety and I think a couple of writers from IO9 have both written great reviews. I don't think I have ever seen anything like the "Snyder-Cut" movement before. All those original folks who demanded it should be proud.

i'm excited. i'm seeing lots of good reviews...