Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Except comics have their own unique storylines which could be adapted

Tell that to Hollywood.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The same could be said of most Hollywood blockbusters, particularly the superhero ones. Nobody’s reinventing the wheel here. Hollywood screenwriters know their job is to deliver the exact same 3 act structure with the same highs and lows and beats.

If people are buying a hamburger, you don’t give them sushi.
    Not really, it's more than that vague three-act thing,
    you will understand once you see it.
    What I'm saying is

"Amazons guarding the Mother Box, then the Mother Box suddenly awakens, after being asleep for a long time.
    There was a portal, and Steppenwolf came through. Steepenwolf kills through the Amazons and get the Mother Box.
    Steppenwolf was a god banished from his home world, and he is working for Darkseid, he wants to conquer Earth and bring the Anti-Life Equation to Darkseid.
    Amazon initiate self destruction of the Temple, and after a chase scene, Steppenwolf escapes with the Motherbox.

Batman decide it's time to assemble the Justice League and we can see them recruiting the crew together. Some of them declined at first but later joined in.
    Steppenwolf reports to Dessad who serves Darkseid, through the Mother Box

Then we come to the Kryptonian Ship scene, where Superman lost control and beat up everyone, and left the scene by flying away.
    But the Justice League believe Superman will return.

At last, we come to the Tower scene, where Steppenwolf activates the Motherbox and summon all the Parademons to guard the Tower,
    the Justice League attacks the tower to stop the Mother Box, fighting through Parademoni army,
    and Superman returns to beat up Steppenwolf.

In the end, we see Darkseid looking at Justice League and saying he will conquer Earth the old way."

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

I do not like Zack Snyders DCEU movies. MoS was ok. I hated BvS. I dont like his deconstruction of the DCU and especially of Superman. His movies are too serious and dark for me.

With that being said I loved this. So much better than the theatrical cut. Now it's not perfect but while the theatrical cut felt like a tv movie and an embarrassment for the Justice Leagues first movie this felt epic, solid and pretty satisfying for DC's greatest heroes assembled. Not too mention it was coherent and it flowed nicely, if a bit slow, as opposed to the chopped up incoherent mess of the other one.

The first half had pacing issues and I thought 4 hours would be a slog to get through like BvS but about a third into it really picked up. It still seems the sun doesnt shine ever in this universe but the overall tone of the movie was lighter than Snyders other DC movies while still remaining serious.

The characters are so much better. I hated the Flash in the other cut but I actually kinda like him in here. I guess without all the Whedon speak hes actually likeable. He served a way more integral part in here and the special effects and how they portrayed his speed was awesome and unique. Aquaman was a bit more fleshed out which is cool. Batman and Wonder Woman actually got less of the spotlight but still had plenty to do and had some cool moments. Cyborg played a way bigger part in this one.

Now for my favorite Henry Cavills Superman. He didnt have many more scenes than the theatrical one but the few that he had added a lot as well as taking out the Whedon add ins. The fight after he is reawakened even had a few more awesome add ons. I wish they would have included more of him. The black suit looks pretty cool as well. Even though seeing him in his regular blues in the theatrical cut was cool. Steppenwolf was also a lot better in here. Speaking of I loved how three leaguers together had trouble holding off Stepenwolf only for Superman to put the smackdown on him all on his own.

I kinda wish they could continue this version. Except for the fact that they would have turned Superman evil. Seriously? After killing him off and having him gone most of this movie just to bring him back as the savior and then turn.him evil?

All in all a pleasant surprise. Did not think I would like it this much after Snyders other installments.

Solid 8/10 for me. Hope they release it on blue ray so I can own it.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kalai View Post
    Not really, it's more than that vague three-act thing,
    you will understand once you see it.
    What I'm saying is

"Amazons guarding the Mother Box, then the Mother Box suddenly awakens, after being asleep for a long time.
    There was a portal, and Steppenwolf came through. Steepenwolf kills through the Amazons and get the Mother Box.
    Steppenwolf was a god banished from his home world, and he is working for Darkseid, he wants to conquer Earth and bring the Anti-Life Equation to Darkseid.
    Amazon initiate self destruction of the Temple, and after a chase scene, Steppenwolf escapes with the Motherbox.

Batman decide it's time to assemble the Justice League and we can see them recruiting the crew together. Some of them declined at first but later joined in.
    Steppenwolf reports to Dessad who serves Darkseid, through the Mother Box

Then we come to the Kryptonian Ship scene, where Superman lost control and beat up everyone, and left the scene by flying away.
    But the Justice League believe Superman will return.

At last, we come to the Tower scene, where Steppenwolf activates the Motherbox and summon all the Parademons to guard the Tower,
    the Justice League attacks the tower to stop the Mother Box, fighting through Parademoni army,
    and Superman returns to beat up Steppenwolf.

In the end, we see Darkseid looking at Justice League and saying he will conquer Earth the old way."
    I did see it. And I agree. It's a superhero team up movie. Chris Terrio was absolutely aware that the studio wanted Avengers money so he gave them a screenplay that followed similar beats

And I want my bald spot to disappear, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen

The circumstances that led to the Snyder Cut getting released were unique. I'm glad it happened and that Snyder was able to get HBO Max to foot the bill to do it right, but that's not something that can be easily repeated.

I could certainly see an animated miniseries happen, as that would be cheaper than what it would require to fund a live-action sequel to say nothing of the Fisher/Hamada situation.

Snyderverse fans can wish and hope all they want, but the chances of a sequel to this are extraordinarily slim.

I mean, sure, anything's possible, but I would advise against listening to anyone who seriously thinks sequels are coming.
    I think animated sequel is probably the best bet. Bigger issue is even if WB or HBO Max wanted to, good luck getting all the cast together - they have all moved onto other projects, so gonna be a while if they wanted to do a live action flick.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

The same could be said of most Hollywood blockbusters, particularly the superhero ones. Nobody’s reinventing the wheel here. Hollywood screenwriters know their job is to deliver the exact same 3 act structure with the same highs and lows and beats.

If people are buying a hamburger, you don’t give them sushi.
    To be fair, not like [superhero] comics are all that different - with constant events, reboots xD
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

the nightmare scene was completely unnecessary in this film. I thought it was going to tie into the BvS scene more then it did.

Honestly, if they structured things differently and added a little more this could have been two films if not three.

Lord knows they made the Hobbit 3 films for no reason at least I would have understood them doing it to Justice League with everything they threw in and giving everyone under the sun their moments
    The J-man

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Interview - Zack Snyder Explains That Enigmatic Justice League Ending (spoilers): https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...ding-explained

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Interview - Zack Snyder Explains That Enigmatic Justice League Ending (spoilers): https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...ding-explained
    That all sounds pretty bad. As good as the Snyder cut is I'm glad were not getting any sequels to it if that's what we were going to get.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

“I’m like, ‘Look, that’s just not the genre.’ It’s not the comic book genre to end the story, regardless if we ever make [another] one or not.”
    Interesting point, my mind immediately goes to Superman Beyond with "To be continued" gravestone.

The J-man

Astonishing Member

I stayed up inordinately late last night and watched all four hours. A brief review? I almost ran a short essay but realized it was getting ranty and not brief at all. I thought ZSJL was quite good. A pleasant surprise. Pairs well with Man of Steel (which other than finding the logic of the in media res-then flashbacks-then intercut storytelling tragically flawed, still liked a lot). Doesn't change my opinion of BVS in the slightest but works fine despite that. Room to breathe was helpful. Added paradoxical context afforded to Wonder Woman and Aquaman is an interesting quirk or curiosity of history. Cyborg was great. Steppenwolf was great. Darkseid is. Nice to see a story with legs that gets you to the end, had an intention and a reason to go for the ride, with an artistic vision (stylization reminiscent of Taika's "Valkyries Fall to Hela" scene, which is appropriate not just because you know, KIRBY, but like, "GODS BY WAY OF KIRBY") that's cohesive but not "uniform", and wears its influences from the source material on its sleeve. Fun, humorous, good emotional stuff - maybe not the most "rewatchable" thing ever but hardly a chore to watch. I'll take a flawed but ambitious and quite "Good" movie over an obvious to watch studio hatchet cut train wreck any day. I've got a soft spot for ambitious, overly stylized, flawed, beautiful, bloated stuff. I'm a Hobbit Trilogy Defender.

One and a half out of two thumbs up. And I'd even take a sequel. Is it my idealized DCU? No, not at all. But can I see what he drew from, why he was drawn to it, and why he thought these were the takes on things that would fit together like puzzle pieces and give him the JLA vibe he was going for? Absolutely.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    I do not like Zack Snyders DCEU movies. MoS was ok. I hated BvS. I dont like his deconstruction of the DCU and especially of Superman.
    This strikes a cord in my mind that I'm not sure I've been able to elaborate on for a while. It's more something for continued discussion in all kinds of threads and not particular to just this topic, but much like the rule of thumb that "An artist shouldn't start breaking the rules until they've mastered the rules (to some degree)", I'm of a mind that I don't care how ambitious you are or how much of a kind of "known quantity" a pop culture icon character is, you can't Deconstruct something until you've Constructed it. Now that I write it out I'm getting deja vu so I've definitely made similar statements, but in the context here the question is, was Man of Steel enough "Construction"? I'm not sure. Singularly ZSJL is a strong entry, and this falls more into discussion of "how well the three films work as a trilogy or series" and how much time you spend "Origin-Telling", establishing a status quo, how much time you spend in that status quo before you start asking questions about that status quo. There was essentially no Superman status quo before they went Death of Superman on us, and I'm not sure what that says about perceptions of cultural zeitgeist and attention spans, but I know it says the writing team was like "eh, we can just have "Actual Superman Stuff" on screen in the last thirty-six seconds of Man of Steel and the first five minutes of BVS then do the part we really want to do." Meanwhile it's 2021 and I just watched four episodes of a show about Superman being a dad and how that's affecting him in his daily life, day-to-day, and I'm like on a Superman High because of it.

Anyhow. I could probably sum it up by saying "Earn Your Deconstruction". Every rule has myriad exceptions, of course. More on that in every topic I ever join in because modern writers have no patience and assume readers have no attention spans, and seems like whoever is teaching writing these days only teaches "The De-s" (Deconstruct, Decompress, Demystify, De-Everything). But I will say, bringing it back to being relevant here - having four hours to get things accomplished really, really benefits the whole "Earn It" aspect of writing for payoffs.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

All-New Member

Does anyone have a logical explanation to why Aquaman doesn't know about Batman at all in the beginning of Justice League? I understand why the remote villagers wouldn't but Arthur lives in Maine. Batman is definitely known outside of Gotham but Arthur genuinely seems to have never heard of him.