Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    A "work of art"! I did not know that.
    Yeah, Batman Returns is generally regarded as the better Burton Batman film these days, in no small part due to Michelle Pfieffer absolutely killing it as Catwoman. At the time, though, it was not well liked because Burton doubled down on the Burton-ness of it all, which is why Joel Shumacher was brought in to course correct the franchise towards something better suited to the Happy Meals and toys where the real money is made.

I don't know whether the Snyder films are going to receive that kind of critical reappraisal a decade or so from now, but it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the kids who grew up with these films will find them much better than the adults who rejected them. That's not necessarily a comment, good or bad, about the quality of the films though. I mean, I still encounter people who fell in love with Transformers The Movie and Goonies as kids and still don't get that those movies aren't very good if you remove the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    I like the story outlines. Curious if Snyder will ever do it as a graphic novel or a animated show.
    I think live action films would be a pipe dream, but there would absolutely be a sizable enough audience for comics or animated adaptations. Depending upon how well the Snyder Cut is received, I think DC would be foolish to leave that money on the table. That said, it might be too cost prohibitive. The salaries involved in Snyder's projects are a far cry from what people are getting paid in animation and comics.

I actually think there’s a pretty good chance a sequel will eventually get the green light from WB. You don’t pump $100m into this just to leave it as a cliffhanger, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico Jones View Post
    I actually think there’s a pretty good chance a sequel will eventually get the green light from WB. You don’t pump $100m into this just to leave it as a cliffhanger, imo.
    Nothing is impossible, but the HBO Max exec who paid for the Snyder Cut to be completed isn't the same guy who's in charge of DC Films and he says another Snyder sequel isn't happening. Unless that changes, I wouldn't expect to see AT&T throwing even more money at it. The costs involved would be enormous as those initial contracts are no doubt expiring. Affleck, Gabot, Cavill & Mamoa are far too expensive these days for a gamble of that size when they can simply reboot everything and get the same attention at less expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico Jones View Post
    That's still about half the cost of their normal $200-250 million dollar to make movies. This was done as a (relative) cheapie for streaming during covid madness. Like half off thanks to already shot footage.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

MoS and BvS get brought up constantly, how many of the "universally accepted" MCU films get brought up? When was the last time someone discussed Thor 1 online? I can't even remember the plot of most of those movies...

Ironic that the people who claim to hate ZS work are also in part responsible for this cut happening so guess we should be thankful to them too lol.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    MoS and BvS get brought up constantly, how many of the "universally accepted" MCU films get brought up? When was the last time someone discussed Thor 1 online? I can't even remember the plot of most of those movies...

Ironic that the people who claim to hate ZS work are also in part responsible for this cut happening so guess we should be thankful to them too lol.
    Something tells me that AT&T would prefer the profit margins of even the most forgettable Marvel movies

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Interesting, sounds like he was actually going to actually end the JL’s story in this epic battle. I can respect that. Not a fan of every choice but a lot if it sounds interesting. An invasion that actually had weight and consequences.

First Cap, Thor and Hulk movies weren't big financial hits.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Yeah, Batman Returns is generally regarded as the better Burton Batman film these days, in no small part due to Michelle Pfieffer absolutely killing it as Catwoman. At the time, though, it was not well liked because Burton doubled down on the Burton-ness of it all, which is why Joel Shumacher was brought in to course correct the franchise towards something better suited to the Happy Meals and toys where the real money is made.

I don't know whether the Snyder films are going to receive that kind of critical reappraisal a decade or so from now, but it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the kids who grew up with these films will find them much better than the adults who rejected them. That's not necessarily a comment, good or bad, about the quality of the films though. I mean, I still encounter people who fell in love with Transformers The Movie and Goonies as kids and still don't get that those movies aren't very good if you remove the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia.
    Just the other day, I was thinking that I'd like to see Burton more active again these days. Like it or hate it, he usually brought a very distinct and creative vision. Yes, he could go overboard sometimes, but at least he's different. And in an era of "re-imagining" old properties because they're not creative enough to think of anything new, I kind of like that.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Just the other day, I was thinking that I'd like to see Burton more active again these days. Like it or hate it, he usually brought a very distinct and creative vision. Yes, he could go overboard sometimes, but at least he's different. And in an era of "re-imagining" old properties because they're not creative enough to think of anything new, I kind of like that.
    I watched the Superman Lives documentary last night. I was going in expecting to see a bizarre mess that I would just laugh at, but seeing the concept art, hearing Burton's take, and even warming up to Cage in the suit a bit, I think it could have been something special. In a way I think it was the missing link between the Donner/Reeve take and what Snyder gave us years later. Man of Steel would have probably been made differently since the character's on-screen history would have been altered. But with a bolder precedent, the audience would have been more prepared to accept it. Instead it was a stark departure.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post

Therein lies the impact of Snyder, hell no one even talks about Infinity war let alone Thor.Marvel don't make movies with the gravitas that Zack made MoS or BvS with; he brought Superman ,Batman and WW(writing credits on WW) into the conversation.It's been that way since 2013 and my hunch is he has primed all audience to take these larger than life heroes seriously.I don't know how people will take to a post Cavill/Snyder superman ,but my guess is if they go for cheese or reductive characterisation, it won't go well with those who have seen Snyder's universe.
    Last edited by Rev9; 03-06-2021 at 10:58 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    Therein lies the impact of Snyder, hell no one even talks about Infinity war let alone Thor.Marvel don't make movies with the gravitas that Zack made MoS or BvS with; he brought Superman ,Batman and WW(writing credits on WW) into the conversation.It's been that way since 2013 and my hunch is he has primed all audience to take these larger than life heroes seriously.I don't know how people will take to a post Cavill/Snyder superman ,but my guess is if they go for cheese or reductive characterisation, it won't go well with those who have seen Snyder's universe.
    I don't recall Marvel though having flying sex toys in the middle of a big dramatic FX scene though. So....maybe that gravitas isn't quite so much. Also..."Martha!"

Incredible Member

The Outline in my opinion needs a few revisions: the only bits I liked:

spoilers:
    1) The Injustice League line-up (just swap Ocean-Master for Deathstroke; I don't think Orm would be caught dead working for Surface-Dwellers)
    2) Diana's visions with the Lasso of Truth and her return to the Paradise Island of Themyscira
    3) Flash/ Cyborg team-up
    4) Future-Cyborg powering a Cosmic Threadmill
    3) Getting the League, The GLC, Atlanteans, Amazonians and Earth's miltiary united for the final battle
    end of spoilers

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Snyder's Superman never cemented himself in pop culture the way Nolan's Batman or Gal's Wonder Woman did so I don't see this version influencing the way people see the next one. By the time a new Clark Kent Superman graces the big screen I honestly doubt the general audience will give the previous version much thought.