Page 21 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    It's not a choice when you arent allowed to have a bearded Superman and your actor isnt allowed to shave.
    those are choices. They chose not to delay the film or divide it into two parts. People praise the theatrical release like they had no choice but they chose to confine themselves to those options when they had a number of other choices.
    The J-man

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    those are choices. They chose not to delay the film or divide it into two parts. People praise the theatrical release like they had no choice but they chose to confine themselves to those options when they had a number of other choices.
    That's a WB choice but its not a JW choice.

My favorite scene so far is probably the first scene you see with Cyborg and his dad.

In the theatrical version that scene was just whatever, his dad comes in the apartment and they both argue about some angsty crap and that was that. But here, there was urgency as his dad was telling to move the motherbox, and Cyborg just looks at him and goes "you're pretty good at creating monsters"....such an improvement.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I think this film is a lot more rewarding to the average viewer. It's simply too busy establishing its characters and moving the plot along to linger on controversial statements and depressing introspection. There's no time for deconstruction here, and thematically the movie is really about reconstruction in a way.
    I would agree with you here. Despite the pointless dark future teases, this movie has a very strong "putting the pieces back together" vibe, likely because the deconstructionist BvS garnered such a strong pushback.

But I don't think the average viewer will be able to make it through that first hour and a half.
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 03-19-2021 at 12:06 AM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

it was a choice and it was a terrible one
    Agreed. They could have easily given Superman a post-resurrection beard with CGI and it would have worked much better. They'd already tested adding a CGI moustache to Cavill in order to satisfy Paramount, but they still said no.

97% audience on rotten tomatoes. 77% critic

People largely seem to have enjoyed it, but this is a unique case of goodwill and fan support that brought this to life
    Yeah, the casual moviegoers are probably not going to see this movie. I'm sure it's Snyder fans flooding the rotten tomatoes site, but if they enjoyed it, good for them. It was released for them after all.

BANNED

I've seen the movie and it's better than the official one, but for the extra run for nothing else. Take away the extra time on the screen and you will have the same movie but with a Batman with power up (in the official version the whole league is just as bad vs Superman, in this Batman it is much better) and a JL that in the end they seem to be anything but heroes . Darkseid deserves a separate mention, I understand that it is only the presentation of the character but they have done it very badly, he is the typical loser villain, a lot of talk but at the moment of truth nothing.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Oh boy what a ride that was! I am just amazed at how much was cut and the stupid stuff that was reshot. The Age of Heroes flashback alone... the GL wasn't just a small cameo.

I loved Steppy's facial expression they were pretty hilarious haha. What a marked improvement overall though no stupid "mother" talk. DS was in it more than I thought, kinda wish Snyder reshot the final fight to include DS instead, since it doesn't look like DC will move forward with anything he set up.

Superman's entrance was so much better than the theatrical. So was how they beat Steppy. No stupid Bruce and Diana fight, no cringey quips, no being horny over WW thank goodness all that crap didn't exist. No family in the final fight too.

Score was great but I agree with others some of the song choices were bizarre and didn't always fit.

ZS bows out with his best work for DC for sure!
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    I've seen the movie and it's better than the official one, but for the extra run for nothing else. Take away the extra time on the screen and you will have the same movie but with a Batman with power up (in the official version the whole league is just as bad vs Superman, in this Batman it is much better) and a JL that in the end they seem to be anything but heroes . Darkseid deserves a separate mention, I understand that it is only the presentation of the character but they have done it very badly, he is the typical loser villain, a lot of talk but at the moment of truth nothing.
    I think it's pretty unfair to say it's the same movie. Even if you matched the runtime but switched the main scenes around, it's substantively different.

I thought it was pretty good, but it really didn’t need to be 4 hours. A lot could have been cut to make the whole movie flow better. You don’t need 15 establishing shots before each scene and I know it’s Zack Snyder but every movement doesn’t need to be in slo mo. Obviously it was way better than the theatrical cut though that’s not saying much.

The ancient battle was pretty cool. I just wish they would have shown Darkseid single handedly wiping out an army before his defeat. Yeah he took out the GL but he didn’t seem overly powerful before Zeus and Ares stomped the hell out of him. They should have explained that he’s way more powerful now that he has Omega Beams and the Omega Effect. It’s just odd to have you big bad get his ass kicked in the middle of the movie and expect him to still seem super intimidating.

I still didn’t like The Flash and was really surprised that most of his dialogue was the same. All the “quirky” mannerisms seemed very Whedon-y and the jokes just didn’t land.

I really liked the scenes of Superman gaining his memory. Some touching moments with Lois and Martha. But knowing what Snyder originally had in mind did pretty much ruin any potential heartfelt moments between Lois and Clark for me. Hints of a connection between Bruce and Diana, then he was also going to impregnate Lois?!? That’s some serious Bat-wank from Snyder.

The Joker scene was surprisingly well done. Leto was way better when he wasn’t trying so hard to be Heath Ledger. When he’s talking in an almost regular voice it was far more powerful. Martian Manhunter stuff was ok. Seemed really tact on just for fan service.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Yeah, the casual moviegoers are probably not going to see this movie. I'm sure it's Snyder fans flooding the rotten tomatoes site, but if they enjoyed it, good for them. It was released for them after all.
    I’d disagree somewhat with this... I know quite a few who have seen it and have no interest in comics, and they’ve loved the film.

Personally, what a brilliant film... Everything and more what I hoped it would be and definitely a film I’ll watch multiple times and enjoy it as much as the first time I watched it.
    The way everything came together makes you realise what an abysmal editing job was done on the theatrical release, you’ve got to wonder how the hell the people at WB allowed that to be released in the form it was.
    Would love to see a continuation, but if there isn’t at least we do have a DC film that ranks amongst the very best of all super hero films.... For me it’s at number 1.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    So when Snyder gets good reviews it's because of his hardcore fans, not because he actually tried to improve his filmmaking. Can't have it both ways. His millions of fans certainly couldn't save the rotten 26% BvS score, where were they during that time?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think most seem to agree that the first hour is too slow, but then it picks up steam and ends strong. It's on par with MoS, and the Director's Cut of BvS in terms of quality. If you hated those films, you're probably not going to like this one, but I have seen a few people who liked this despite hating Snyder's previous films.
    I am one of those people. I hated the two prior films, though BvS was more tolerable in the director’s cut. But I loved this one.

I agree about the overuse of slow-mo and thought the first hour was slow. If it were a theatrical cut, I’d trim the fat but in this format I liked that it was long and sort of wished it had been even longer.

One thought I had early on, thinking about how Snyder’s shots had been so badly repurposed for Whedon’s, was that Whedon’s was more akin to Super Friends. This one, like it or lump it, was actually a Justice League movie.

I expected to hate it but wound up sort of loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Watched the first 80 minutes of the film, the pacing and length got to me and I had to stop. But this is definitely the best movie Snyder has made, possibly his only good movie.
    If you’re up for it, I’d recommend watching the rest. The first 80 minutes are the most problematic with regard to pacing and length. Going forward from the first hour or so it really, really picks up.

I noticed a lot of little things in this that were changed in the Aquaman movie. Mera's hair color. The Atlanteans using a British accent? And did I hear her say that her father was dead? Isn't that the Dolph Lundren character in the movie?

Regardless, loved this version. Wish we could have gotten John Stewart.